• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Turkey legs

Magic_Kingdom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone :)

Just a silly question about the turkey legs in the carts at wdw. For anyone who has tried them, is it embarassing eating them while walking around the park? I've always wanted one, they look and smell so good but they just look really awkward to eat! I read somewhere that they tasted like ham and had lot's of tendons, is this true? The lots of tendons put kind of put me off aswell but I want to try one this year anyway princess:

My DD and I had the turkey legs in DHS last December.

Yes, they are hard to eat. There is no way to be dainty UNLESS you somehow have a plate and utensils handy.
Yes, the ones in DHS were smoked and did have that smoked ham flavor.
Yes, they have tendons not a deal breaker for us but they do get in the way.

We also decided that one leg would have enough for the two of us. Those legs were big.

They are delicious and enough for two to share, I normally tear off pieces with my fingers but it does remind me of ham.. I dont remeber tendons..

My sister has to have a turkey leg during every visit to Disney World...but, will only eat them at DHS, too....because it comes with a paper like holder...We sit at the table....She gets a little messy...but, she loves them...My husband does too...I have trouble with my teeth, so I stay away from them...or maybe taking a little piece from either my sister or husband...They are really good...:thumbsup2

Yes Indeed, embarrassing! My DH and I had one once in the Magic Kingdom. I was worried also, so got one in Frontierland, and sat on a bench on the wooden pathway, near the riverboat, (cut-through to Splash) for privacy. It was delicious!!!!:banana: The funniest part was the giant white crane who joined us for the meal! I know you shouldn't feed the birds, but he was huge and was not taking no for an answer. It was kinda gross cause of his long thin neck, you could kinda see it going down!!
Anyway, get the leg, and enjoy it. You are never going to see these people, or birds, again!! Jane

The Turkey legs were DS's favorite meal when he was 3.5. :lmao: And it was a convenient allergy-safe meal for him.

We would usually all share. We don't even care what people may think, we just go at it. But get lots of napkins.

I can't get past the way people look gnawing on them as they walk around. bleh!

:thumbsup2 I agree; they make me sick.

I hate it when people eat them while waiting in line for rides. I had to get out of the Buzz Lightyear line at MK one day because the lady behind me was gnawing on her turkey leg. :crazy2:

As long as we're not in line together, enjoy the turkey legs everyone! :)

They are really good- yes agreed they taste like a smoked ham.... We usually stop inside one of the counter service restaurants to eat or turkey leg cuz it is quite difficult at times, but quite delicious :)

Turkey legs are my family's favorite. We pull the meat off with our fingers instead of gnawing it off the bone. It is very messy though. We sit down and eat them and don't walk around or eat them in line. Normally, my husband and I share, because they are so big.

I have tried turkey legs from other places and they are never the same. If you haven't tried one, I highly recommend them.

:thumbsup2 I agree; they make me sick.

I hate it when people eat them while waiting in line for rides. I had to get out of the Buzz Lightyear line at MK one day because the lady behind me was gnawing on her turkey leg. :crazy2:

As long as we're not in line together, enjoy the turkey legs everyone! :)

Agreed. I can't even stand the smell of the things so I really don't want to be anywhere near them.

The calorie count always scares me away!!! I've seen estimates of over 1000 calories in one leg.:scared1:

is it embarassing eating them while walking around the park?
. . . only to you
. . . others barely notice
. . . except to lick their chops

I've always wanted one, they look and smell so good but they just look really awkward to eat!
. . . yes
. . . sometimes
. . . just pull chunks off
. . . or take take hunks with your teeth
. . . etiquette does not count

I read somewhere that they tasted like ham and had lot's of tendons, is this true?
. . . I would rather classify it as "stringy"

They are delicious, and huge. They are not emu legs though...
One can easily be shared between 2 adults, or 3-4 kids depending on their ages.
We enjoy them at a table. I grab mine from the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland, and swing by Cosmic Rays to pick up a plate and utensils. As far as tendons go... maybe they are referring to the thin cartilage-like bones? They are easy to pull out/eat around, not a deal breaker.
I'd say they taste BETTER than smoked ham, and with a much nicer texture too :)

As gross as they look and smell, I think they're delicious. I don't mind as much about looking dumb carrying it around as I do getting my hands all greasy, so I usually grab a seat and some utensils. YUM!

Grrrrrummmmmbleeeee,

Note to self, don't read food threads while hungry. :lmao:

Sure going to have to try one next trip.

when i first mentioned taking a trip to disney, all my hubby said was "ooooh i'm gonna get a turkey leg"

they are delicious, messy, greasy, make you look barbaric eating it while walking, but worth it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter