WDW Tambu Vs. Trader Sam's - No Comparison

costpenn

Mouseketeer
Just went to Tradet Sam's for the first time. Will not be coming back. Yes, it has the furnishings and feel of a 60's L.A. tiki bar, but ZERO Disney magic. Bar staff were in a big hurry for everything even with few people at the bar, and you felt like you were in a low budget tourist trap. Just goes to show how - again -it doesn't make a difference how great the theming, the setting, the price you pay if the service staff isnt up to the challenge. Thanks to John and all the staff at Tambu at WDW Poly for spoiling us!

I've never been to Tambu but I love Trader Sam's! Our service was excellent. I have to respectfully disagree with you on every negative point you make about TS's, but perhaps you are experiencing the "I like what I'm used to!" syndrome. I felt that way at Magic Kingdom. I'd like to go back just because I don't think I gave it a fair shot...I was too busy comparing it to DL.

Is the Tambu Lounge the bar connected to 'Ohana? If so, I would much rather be at Trader Sam's. The bar connected to 'Ohana is always packed with people waiting for their reservation and doesn't have much ambience. I found Trader Sams to be quaint and our server was very accomodating. But everyone has different experiences I guess.

We loved Trader Sam's - the ambiance and the service were great!

I've never been to Tambu but I love Trader Sam's! Our service was excellent. I have to respectfully disagree with you on every negative point you make about TS's, but perhaps you are experiencing the "I like what I'm used to!" syndrome. I felt that way at Magic Kingdom. I'd like to go back just because I don't think I gave it a fair shot...I was too busy comparing it to DL.
Believe me, I'm all too aware of the I'm used to X so Y will automatically suck syndrome. For instance, I asked when ordering if they had a Mai Tai similar to the Tambu Mai Tai we always get at WDW. The bartender was a real horse's butt about it saying that only they make the correct, original Mai Tai's and she didn't know what Tambu was but it's not a Disney property. It was just so unecessarily over the top, all I wanted to know was if they make them Tambu style.

The bartender might not have been aware of the Tambu lounge or its style since they are not located near each other. That doesn't given them the right to be rude, but they probably didn't know Tambu was even a Disney owned bar.

I have been to both and enjoy both of them multiple times and have always had great time!

We had a poor experience at Trader Sam's this weekend- I think you and I had the same bartender- he was so abrupt and rude we had to make jokes about it or we would have lost our good mood... a group of 4 walked in after us and he flat out told my husband he didn't have time to talk to him (dh was ordering and making sure a drink could be made without a specific fruit drink because my daughter wouldn't like it- it wasn't like he was just killing time...) because "he had a large group to deal with"- dh was like- wow their 4 is bigger than our 4...???? :lmao: :confused3

Believe me, I'm all too aware of the I'm used to X so Y will automatically suck syndrome. For instance, I asked when ordering if they had a Mai Tai similar to the Tambu Mai Tai we always get at WDW. The bartender was a real horse's butt about it saying that only they make the correct, original Mai Tai's and she didn't know what Tambu was but it's not a Disney property. It was just so unecessarily over the top, all I wanted to know was if they make them Tambu style.

I'm sorry it wasn't a better experience. You are right that it doesn't matter how much they put into the details if the service is lousy. I stayed in a very beautiful hotel in the Bahamas but the service was so bad there and everywhere in town that I swore I would never go back. I even wrote to the Tourism Bureau but I never heard from them (and didn't expect to). Later, I read that our experience was far from unique and tourism was seriously suffering so they were working on the problem. I never did go back so I don't know if it got better or not. It was very disappointing, and even though the setting was lovely and the hotel was gorgeous it wasn't enough to make up for the horrid service. I hope that if you ever go back to TS's you will have a better time! I've only been about 5 or 6 times but I've always been lucky to get fun servers and bartenders.

The bartender might not have been aware of the Tambu lounge or its style since they are not located near each other.

Exactly. And it's not like the Disney CMs are paid so well they get to take cross-country trips all the time.

I wouldn't go to Tambu (I was supposed to go last trip but it was just so hectic I forgot all about it) and ask for a Trader Sam's drink...why do the opposite?

I, too, tried Trader Sam's and found it lacking compared to Tambu. Nothing wrong with the bartenders, though.

The bar patrons provide most of the energy and the atmosphere in a good bar, IMO. That day at Trader Sam's we didn't approach what Tambu delivers. I'm sure other days are different.

I enjoyed Trader Sams and was bummed my travel mate wanted to take the drink to go and not enjoy the atmosphere :(

I think your post title might be a bit harsh. You are saying there is no comparison based off one experience at Trader Sam's vs. how many at that hotel bar?

I have always found Trader Sam's to be a wonderful experience, sorry you didn't have the same experience. But I kind of agree with other posters. I wouldn't go to the Tambu bar and say I want a Mai Tai. But I only want it if you make it the way Trader Sam's makes it.

For the record, I have been to Tambu and found it to be a pretty lackluster experience. It was a hotel bar. That served me an over priced drink in a coconut. :confused3

My comments might be a little on the harsh side because I am sad you would post such a harsh comparison after one experience. Especially because I love Trader Sam's so much.

LudwigVB said:
The bartender was correct regarding the Mai Tai. While she may not have been familiar with the Tambu Lounge (I don't think any of them except Christian have been to WDW much, if at all; Christian, on the other hand, did the college program and worked at EPCOT. He'll know what you're talking about), the HippopotoMai-Tai is very close to the Trader Vic's original mai tai recipe (only difference is Trader Vic's recipe calls for simple syrup as the sweetener, while all Disney bars use agave nectar. The taste difference is negligible).

I've worked Tambu a couple of times when statused at the Barefoot Pool Bar, and I was never aware of a mai tai unique to the bar besides the Captain's Mai Tai found in the generic Disney drinks menu. There was a time when Tambu carried special ingredients for authentic tiki drinks, such as coconut cream and orgeat, but that was quite a while ago. If the mai tai you like at Tambu is the Captain's Mai Tai, the Trader Sam's bartenders can make it, as well as any other drinks in the generic menu. Often, if you just ask for a mai tai, they will ask if you want the HippopotoMai-Tai or the Captain's Mai Tai.

As for the bartender, it sounds like you met Rhonda and her sarcasm. She plays it up as part of the Jungle-Cruise-skipper-turned-bartender role, and I am sure she only meant to try and enhance your experience. I cannot speak for her, but I have never seen any of the bartenders, Rhonda included, treat anyone rudely. Rhonda and many of the other Sam's bartenders have been bartending at the Disneyland Hotel for many, many years (a few of them have been there for over 20 years!). They are old-school, pre-Pressler Disneyland cast members. Again, I cannot speak for them, but this report does not at all correspond with my weekly trips to Trader Sam's. Sorry you had a bad experience; give them another chance sometime and let them take good care of you!

Incidentally, did you try the HippopotoMai-Tai? It's really good. I've seen a few questions on these boards about whether Trader Sam's can make Tambu drinks or other WDW-specific drinks. Why not try a Trader Sam's drink and have an original Disneyland experience?

Great info; thanks! I will add that Rhonda is one of the reasons we've opted to stay at DLH 3x in a row rather than alternate to GCH for our big summer trips. We don't even "hang out" at the bar; she's just a really good bartender and Trader Sams is a great place to pop in and out of while the kids enjoy the pool.

I and 3 friends stumbled upon Trader Sam's after the Halloween party when we starving and couldn't find anything open. Man, did we have a good time! The bartenders played a bar stool trick on us that had us in hysterics and we loved the effects when a group nearby ordered the "Uh Oa!" We had a fantastic time and not only that, we were well fed at a fairly late hour. I have never been to Tambu but I honestly can't imagine having a more memorable time anywhere else. I will definitely be going again with my boyfriend in April and making him drink an Uh Oa! with me!

Why would you expect to find a WDW drink from a different restaurant at another restaurant at DLR? Did you ask for this drink at every bar at DLR? I am confused.

If I were to go to Tambu, I would say, "There is this great Mai Tai drink at a bar in DLR in California. It's sort of their signature drink. Do you have a signature drink here? I'd love to try it!"

I don't understand why people go to DLR to experience WDW. :confused3 When we go to WDW, it's to get a Disney experience, but one different from DLR. If we wanted to the same thing we are used to, we would just stay home and go to DLR.

Just my 2 cents,
Dreams

Why would you expect to find a WDW drink from a different restaurant at another restaurant at DLR? Did you ask for this drink at every bar at DLR? I am confused.

If I were to go to Tambu, I would say, "There is this great Mai Tai drink at a bar in DLR in California. It's sort of their signature drink. Do you have a signature drink here? I'd love to try it!"

I don't understand why people go to DLR to experience WDW. :confused3 When we go to WDW, it's to get a Disney experience, but one different from DLR. If we wanted to the same thing we are used to, we would just stay home and go to DLR.

Just my 2 cents,
Dreams

Agreed.

I'm not a fan anymore of the Tambu Lounge. It used to be the first place my parents and I would go when we would stay at the Poly in the 70's. It was the only place they ever said truly made them feel like they were back in Hawaii (which they had visited but I had not). They got tropical drinks with little umbrellas and I got a non-alcoholic version of the same and felt so grown up.

After they opened O'hana, the Tambu Lounge really became the Tambu Bar and lost most of its character and charm. As others have pointed out, what was once a cool, secluded spot to relax is now a hustle-and-bustle lobby bar for patrons waiting to eat dinner.

My biggest complaint about Trader Sam's is that it's too small. It is a super-well-done concept but often difficult to get into. I am intrigued to see Trader Sam's listed as one of the potential new venues at Disney Springs in Florida, and hope they will make it a bit bigger there.

And I will say that if people are getting brusque treatment from bartenders, that's very non-Disney and can absolutely ruin an experience. Heck, if I was a bartender I can't think of too many places more enjoyable to work than Trader Sam's! I know it's just a job, but assuming you like people and the tropical theme, it doesn't get much better...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter