WDW Roads are for CARS not..

Disneyland_emily

DIS Veteran
small children on bikes! Just a HUGE vent and public service annoucement

Today while driving on World Drive right past the Wilderness Lodge towards Contemporary traffic came to a halt as 3 young children were biking along the road. The one in the rear was no more than 5 years old and kept swerving into traffic. One wrong move by the kid or the car following him would've been tragic... They all continued on down under the waterbridge where it soon became apparent the youngest couldnt get UP the hill and came to a dead stop in the middle of traffic. Eventually he got out of the road and Contemporary Security took over.

The mother's response (who had apparently been jogging FAR behind them) was "they are used to riding in traffic" and proceeded to yell at the youngest that he "lost his sisters" well did you ever think that TRAFFIC wasn't used to THEM?!? :confused3

That stretch of road is very VERY dangerous and deadly and don't mind us if we are a bit skittish of kids on bikes anyway let alone by themselves in the middle of a busy road where people normally aren't dumb enough to WALK let alone BIKE.

WDW has PLENTY of bike and walking trails- World Drive isn't one of them:headache:

Rant over

-em

a poor boy not too long ago did have an accident and died on his bike in that area....too busy for kid son bikes NO matter how used to it you may be.....

Shame on the mother for being an idiot.
Shame on WDW security for not removing them from the situation.

Shame on the mother for being an idiot.
Shame on WDW security for not removing them from the situation.

This seems like a great presumption on your part. WDW security taking over would make me assume that they did deal with the problem. No shame on their part.

small children on bikes! Just a HUGE vent and public service annoucement

Today while driving on World Drive right past the Wilderness Lodge towards Contemporary traffic came to a halt as 3 young children were biking along the road. The one in the rear was no more than 5 years old and kept swerving into traffic. One wrong move by the kid or the car following him would've been tragic... They all continued on down under the waterbridge where it soon became apparent the youngest couldnt get UP the hill and came to a dead stop in the middle of traffic. Eventually he got out of the road and Contemporary Security took over.

The mother's response (who had apparently been jogging FAR behind them) was "they are used to riding in traffic" and proceeded to yell at the youngest that he "lost his sisters" well did you ever think that TRAFFIC wasn't used to THEM?!? :confused3

That stretch of road is very VERY dangerous and deadly and don't mind us if we are a bit skittish of kids on bikes anyway let alone by themselves in the middle of a busy road where people normally aren't dumb enough to WALK let alone BIKE.

WDW has PLENTY of bike and walking trails- World Drive isn't one of them:headache:

Rant over

-em

This type of thing makes me so angry. I would venture to guess that if there was an accident, this jogger mom would be looking to sue Disney and everyone else. No personal responsibility. It is like a mother not watching her children on the beach or at a pool, and when the child drowns, blaming the lifeguard. Get used to it folks. This is the country we will have from now on. You will be able to sue McDonalds because you are fat, sue Frito/Lay's because you eat too much salt, and sue the car companies because of your injury sustained when you hit a wall going 100 MPH. We are all victims, don't you know?:sad2::sad2:

a poor boy not too long ago did have an accident and died on his bike in that area....too busy for kid son bikes NO matter how used to it you may be.....

http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/23026301/detail.html

This actually took place at Fort Wilderness in a area where there is alot of bike and foot traffic as the road accesses the pool area......I also believe that there is a side walk where he was killed........

A suggestion would be to limit bike riding on Disney World property to only sidewalks and other restricted areas (like a Fort Wilderness type area). Jogging/running could be restricted the same way. Yes, it might cause some hassles for the hard core biker or runner but there are plenty of safe places to do this type of activity.

A suggestion would be to limit bike riding on Disney World property to only sidewalks and other restricted areas (like a Fort Wilderness type area). Jogging/running could be restricted the same way. Yes, it might cause some hassles for the hard core biker or runner but there are plenty of safe places to do this type of activity.

When you rent bikes from WDW bike riding is limited to sidewalks. Since we're not able to bring our personal bikes I don't know if the same rule is in effect for those, but I imagine it is.

:scared1:I cannot believe it is not against the rules to ride bikes on any of the roads at Disney. There is so much traffic, it definitely should be limited to sidewalks. Glad no one was hurt and security took over.

:scared1:I cannot believe it is not against the rules to ride bikes on any of the roads at Disney. There is so much traffic, it definitely should be limited to sidewalks. Glad no one was hurt and security took over.

I thought it was against the rules. I know my husband was stopped by Security as he was running on the side of the road (he had just passed the end of the sidewalk and was getting back on another sidewalk) and instructed to stay off the roads.

The mom in this case is wacky.

This wasn't a random family out on an outing.

There is an Ironman Triathlon at Disney this weekend, Adults on Sunday, Kids on Saturday......

http://www.floridahalfironman.com/course.php

When they have a marathon or Triathlon at WDW, there are Disney police and security all over the roads and roads get blocked. They were not part of the Triathlon. Mommy might have been warming up for the race for Sunday, but these kids weren't part of it.

I drove through that area around 3:00, Orange county, Disney Security, Warning signs, and orange traffic cones were everywhere.....:confused3

Situations like the bike accident are so sad. I read that the child that died was riding with another child but no adults. The mother that was jogging was practically not with her children either. Children should not be allowed to ride their bikes with traffic anywhere but especially in the congested traffic at WDW. I feel sorry for the bus driver involved in the accident where the child was killed. Witnesses said the boy rode right into the side of the bus & there was nothing he could do. I feel sorry for everyone involved because this could have been prevented with some close parental supervision.

This seems like a great presumption on your part. WDW security taking over would make me assume that they did deal with the problem. No shame on their part.

They should have been out there IMMEDIATELY. No questions asked.

They should have been out there IMMEDIATELY. No questions asked.

Well even though this is Disney it's not like they can AUTOMAGICALLY appear! It sounds like they responded quickly -- I have heard bus drivers call in situations like this before and my guess would be that would be what happened.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter