WDW Old Schoolers ... Remember When? - "If You Had Wings"

This ride is one of the (unfortunately) few lasting memories that remain from an August 1974 introduction to the Magic Kingdom. It required no ticket and was an escape from the heat so my best friend and I circled through it many times. We thought it was great then and I still do today because of the pleasantness of the memory.

I remember it as the Delta ride! I didn't want to go on it because I thought that Delta always broke down (and I was like 7!). We rode it and it "broke down" and stopped halfway through... HA!

Seagulls...that's about all I can remember of it. Off to check YouTube to see if any hidden memories pop up

:thumbsup2 Thanks for starting this thread! What great memories. And such a comforting thought too...I thought I was the ONLY geeky kid who loved this ride. I remember the song (stuck in my head now...thanks), the seagulls, the traffic crossing guard. The speed room. I can even remember going years later with friends, dragging them to the ride. Again, it was free! (had to save those E tickets!) and it was dark and cool. The perfect ride for a hot summer day. :love:

What a great ride. I will really miss it! :sad1:

I have a lot of memories of this ride too. what i remember most is the pink flamingos . we went alot in the 70's because we were the only ones in our family that lived in fla. and all of our summers were packed with relatives from louisiana comming to disny and us going with them.:goodvibes

That was the "speed room" where POV movies of waterskiing, an airplane taking off, etc. were projected. Your seat would recline a little and a breeze would be blowing on you to simulate the feeling of speed. It was a great effect. :)

what i remember most about this section was as i entered it and the breeze started and the flight takeoff began i remember grabbing my hat as to not have it blown away and the incredible dumb feeling i felt when i realized exactly what was happening

if this wasnt enough the ride stopped soon after and all we heard for what seemed like an eternity was" if you had wings"......

Sadly I'm not, I'm 16 and have been going since I was about 3. I remember Delta Dreamflight, I loved that ride and was so sad when it was taken away. My mom loved "If you had wings" and I've seen it on youtube, but it was hard to see because it was filmed with an older camera when the ride was still there.
I absolutely loved the original song though.

It's a shame when good rides are taken away and changed. I do like buzz lightyear, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of another great ride.

I visited Disney twice in the 70s and rode IYHW a zillion times. Free, air-conditioned, something my parents would ride... it all added up to lots of rides. :)

When I first rode Buzz Lightyear, I freaked out about halfway through. It felt like the same path as IFHW.... then we got to the long straight room near the end and I KNEW it was the same path. I can't believe they built the Buzz Lightyear ride around the IFHW vehicle path. :)

If You Had Wings is my all-time favorite ride. My dad and I used to ride it, get off, and run back to the front and ride it again and again and again! My favorite parts were the flamingos and the people dancing on the rock waterfall. I still miss that ride, and was so happy to see this thread and other people loving it too.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter