• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Master Plan

fannatic

Mouseketeer
I don't know if any of you caught Kevin Yee's article about what he claims is the WDW Master Plan. If it's true, ambitious is too small a word for it. The story is a week or two old, so you may have to search for it at MiceAge. Check it out, and then come back and discuss.:)

I've always wanted the monorail to connect the parks, not so much more resorts, but definitely the parks. Despite cost, I think a full loop from TTC works best rather than making Epcot the hub... interesting article, of course this would be years away!

I don't think there is anything new here, really. The master plan is pretty much a blue sky plan, including everything they'd like to do within 5-15 years generally, given a near unlimited budget.

Wasn't the "platform" at Epcot, as odd as it is, debunked due to clearance with the existing monorail beam?

I do wish old key west was connected to epcot via monorail or peoplemover. Its right across the street seems stupid there isn't one already

I don't think there is anything new here, really. The master plan is pretty much a blue sky plan, including everything they'd like to do within 5-15 years generally, given a near unlimited budget.

Wasn't the "platform" at Epcot, as odd as it is, debunked due to clearance with the existing monorail beam?

I had heard something about the footing for the other monorail platform but don't know what was wrong with it

One point said he kept stressing was that double monorail tracks would be extremely expensive. Actually while being more expensive than single track they're not that much more because the major expense, especially in Florida, for the installation is the foundations required because of the soft soil. The double tracks would be supported off the same piers for minimal extra cost. Because of this the actual cost per mile for track would be greatly reduced although the miles of track installed would be increased.

Even though everyone wants more monorails I don't believe they will happen in the foreseeable future.

The real problem with the ideas he mentions about using a shuttle track zone with "hides" to allow for train passing, is that the Monorail system, by it's nature, does not allow for easy or efficient switch use, unlike light rail or the peoplemover systems in many airports.

There are 2 big issues that would pretty much make the idea of using regular switches a nonstarter.

1. a monorail train is very limited in it's speed when moving over a switch beam. The switch time is also a major factor since it takes longer to move the switch compaired to "traditional" rail systems.

2. It would basically break the existing MAPO system used to maintain train distances. The MAPO system utilized 3 seperate "tones" sent across the power bar that the trains can 'hear'. If it sees 3 tones, they are MAPO green and good to go. if they only see 2, then it's MAPO yellow and the train must stop at the next designated hold point. With only 1 tone, They go MAPO Red and the emergency stop is activated. (A train will "block" all the tones ahead of it in the line so the train following can't hear the tones beyond the preceeding train.). Because the power bar is alongside and part of the track, when the switch is thrown, it 'breaks' the continuity of the power bar and prevents the preceeding tones from behind heard..... (It also results in track sections going without power while a switch is performed).

Because of the fact these MAPO tones are broken during a switch operation, during current switch procedures, the Monorail operators must operate in what's known as a MAPO Override. It's this same Override that allowed the horrific accident to happen a couple years ago during the EPCOT Beam shutdown.... and why the switching procedures have changed so drastically as a result in order to add additional safeguards to prevent the chances of an incident in the future from occuring.

In General.... Running in MAPO override is something you don't want to do on any sort of regular basis because you are essentially turning off the built in safety features. It's one thing to do it during certain circumstances such as beam open/closes... but it'd be an entirely different thing to disable a key safety feature while operating with guests onboard.

Its about time Disney expanded the Saratoga Springs monorail ;)

DisneyModel.jpg

I might be a bit biased, but I promise I give the following opinion based on observation of the operations of both watercraft and monorails:

I do not think expanding the monorail line is the way to improve transportation at WDW. I think digging more water routes is the way to do it. I don't know the cost comparison of both, but from an operational perspective, boats are a much better solution for the following reasons:
1. higher capacity
2. if there is a problem with one boat, a medical emergency, suspicious package, anything that can shut down a boat, it doesn't impede the operation completely. When a monorail has an issue or can't leave a platform because someone's having a medical issue on board, the entire line is shut down. it's a long and complex procedure to back trains up and ultimately results in guests not getting to their final destination. By contrast, boats have alternate docks so if one side is tied up, the other can be used in emergency situations. It slows things down, but doesn't bring them to a grinding halt.
3. they need to fix what they have before they make anything new

Just my opinion of course :cool1:

Boats would be interesting if they could efficiently and safely go faster. Doesn't it take about 45 min to get to DTD from POR?

It does seem like there might almost be enough streams to connect many routes. A big problem I noticed with boats is the Friendship boats stop when there are thunderstorms nearby. (and then you have to take a but to EPCOT area resorts from DHS or EPCOT.

this is cute...but we all know that if anything is "expanded" at WDW...its going to be buses.

because they're cheap (relatively speaking), can be allocated to different things 50 times a day if need be, and require no infrastructure investment to operate.

We all know better...seriously.

The other thing that i've noticed is that the system isn't really that taxed - aside from well documented monorail issues....

I know i know "you should see the bus waits at park close..."
Well, to be honest that's a small problem...because there is a smaller proportion of the attendees that kill the parks and stay that long...and it seems to have diminished overtime.

Unless you are a one shot traveler to WDW...there is little reason to go to that length.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter