WDW Marathon Deferral - UPDATE POST #3!!!!

dumbo_buddy

DIS Veteran
i just sent runDisney an email letting them know that b/c i'm pregnant i won't be able to run the WDW Marathon this year. baby is due at the very end of november and even though i've been run/walking most days of the week this whole time i still won't have enough time to train and the baby will be too young to take with me to WDW.

anyway, i know that the registration is non-cancellable (is that a word?) but i figured it was worth it to ask about possibly deferring my entry fee until next year.

i just sent runDisney an email letting them know that b/c i'm pregnant i won't be able to run the WDW Marathon this year. baby is due at the very end of november and even though i've been run/walking most days of the week this whole time i still won't have enough time to train and the baby will be too young to take with me to WDW.

anyway, i know that the registration is non-cancellable (is that a word?) but i figured it was worth it to ask about possibly deferring my entry fee until next year.

They do not allow deferrals.... sorry

In the fine print you will see that if you notify them be a certain date (November-ish) you will be guaranteed an entry the following year. What does that men? Generally, that you can enter 2013 even if the race sold out. You would still be required to pay the entry fee for 2013.

They do not allow deferrals.... sorry

In the fine print you will see that if you notify them be a certain date (November-ish) you will be guaranteed an entry the following year. What does that men? Generally, that you can enter 2013 even if the race sold out. You would still be required to pay the entry fee for 2013.

well i'm happy to report that you're wrong! woot! so glad i emailed runDISNEY!!!

just got the following email from them:

Nancy,

Congratulations! We are putting into place a deferral policy that lets you defer races within a year from the event you are registered for. The races that would be included for you would be 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon, 2013 Walt Disney World Marathon, 2013 Goofy’s Race & Half Challenge, 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, 2012 Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon, 2012 Disney’s Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Registration has not yet opened for some of these events, so if you wish to defer your race entry to a 2013 event please let me know and I will inform you as soon as we have registration open!

If you have any further questions please let me know!

Thank you and have a magical day!

WOOT! there is a $35 deferral fee. i have no problem with that. SEE YOU IN 2013!!!!

Actually, not wrong, out of date.

It's about time they came into the 21st century

I too am glad you pursued this

Actually, not wrong, out of date.

It's about time they came into the 21st century

I too am glad you pursued this

Actually, I think they're still stuck in the 20th century. If they were in the 21st, they'd do what MCM does and allow, support, and encourage people to transfer their entries to someone else if they're not able to make the race. If a race that is 30-50% larger than Disney's can do it, there's no reason they can't too.

ok people! whatever with the semantics! the point is they are changing and trying to be more accommodating. can't fault them for that. better than saying "too bad!"

It would be nice if they allowed transfers and created a wait list for full races; fill with folks who cancel or defer out of the current race. It's no real now that most all entries are electronic. I could understand during the paper form days being a little reluctant.... It's just not that hard to allow more user flexibility.

Good to hear that Disney is changing the policy on deferals. I agree that a $35 fee isn't too bad.

Nancy--I'm so glad you don't lose your entry fee! I want to see you and your two cuties in 2013! :thumbsup2

Wow, thats so awesome, I literally just had to cancel my Wine and Dine Half marathon vacation because I'm moving.

This is fantastic news. My sister may have to drop out of the Disneyland 1/2 in September due to a foot injury. The best she could do (if the physical therapist allows) is to walk the course. So.....this may be an option and we could do the Wine and Dine as a relay team!
Thanks for your effort and glad Disney listened!
Happy Running!

That's great news. Every time I register for a Disney race (because I have to do it so far in advance and they are so pricey,) I get paranoid about getting pregnant and being down and out money wise. We're not trying, but as you can attest, accidents happen:rotfl: I'm glad Disney is letting you defer with only a smallish fee. I've never heard of this being done, I wonder if it is a new thing for Disney. I do agree that it would be nice to offer a wait list and allow people the chance to get in when registered racers can't come. I'm sure there are a handful of people who register and don't show up because they can't afford the trip. It would be nice if Disney would allow them to defer as well and allow some who didn't register the chance to run.

I also think Disney should do the transfers. Lots of people get injured, and for a race like DL Half that sells out well in advance, I'm sure people would jump at the chance to transfer!

Disney use to allow this for free but now charge $25. Check out http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/eww...s/wdw-marathon/2012WDWTransferRequestwfee.pdf .

I haven't scene a form the the 2013 deferral????

You sure Robert?

First, the form you attached in the deferral form from the 2012 to the 2013 race. I am not understanding the question about the 2013 deferral.

Second, this is the first race I have heard where Disney allows transfers or deferrals. I would agree that Disney allowed a 'false' free deferral in the past. In the past if one deferred prior to the cutoff date you were assured a spot in the next race although Entry fees were not waived as they are under this new policy. Prior to 2004 or 5 this was huge as entries were mostly by snail mail and the races sold out much earlier. One could get caught out with no warning.

The past policy required two entry fees but no transfer fee... The new policy actually saves $115!

I for one am glad for the new policy and I think anyone seeking a deferral would be more than happy to pay $25 to cover the administrative costs and avoid paying a second entry fee. I know it would have saved me a race fee over the years.

You sure Robert?

First, the form you attached in the deferral form from the 2012 to the 2013 race. I am not understanding the question about the 2013 deferral.

Second, this is the first race I have heard where Disney allows transfers or deferrals. I would agree that Disney allowed a 'false' free deferral in the past. In the past if one deferred prior to the cutoff date you were assured a spot in the next race although Entry fees were not waived as they are under this new policy. Prior to 2004 or 5 this was huge as entries were mostly by snail mail and the races sold out much earlier. One could get caught out with no warning.

The past policy required two entry fees but no transfer fee... The new policy actually saves $115!

I for one am glad for the new policy and I think anyone seeking a deferral would be more than happy to pay $25 to cover the administrative costs and avoid paying a second entry fee. I know it would have saved me a race fee over the years.

"Coach Charles" where on the form that I linked stated you woul have a rollover to 2013? The fee is only $25 where a previous posted said it would cost $35 :confused3

I transferered my first 5K and marathon in 2006 to the Goofy without fees but if I read the link correctly, it now cost $25. This has nothing to do with 2013. Maybe I am brain dead and I need a sharper person to explain :confused3:confused3:confused3

You sure Robert?

Coach!

Here is what is on the website of rundisney and it doesn't mention transferring to 2013. Maybe you have a inside source :confused3

Cancellation & Transfer Policy
Entry fees for the 2012 WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend events are non-refundable. The transfer deadline for all events is November 15, 2011. No exceptions will be made.

If you are currently registered for the 2012 WALT DISNEY WORLD® Half Marathon, WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon or Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, you may transfer your registration to one of the other two races, subject to availability, on or before November 15, 2011. A transfer fee of $25 will be charged per transfer. Transfers are not allowed for the Disney Family Fun Run 5K or Disney Kids' Races events. Race entries cannot be transferred to another person.

To transfer your race registration between Marathon Weekend races, please complete and submit the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend Transfer Request Form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter