WDW Marathon crowds

whodat1229

Earning My Ears
I've read that the January marathon affects crowds significantly. I've also read that the marathon does not affect park attendance that much. I'm looking at switching my trip from Mardi Gras weekend to the week before and including the marathon weekend. I would think that the Marathon would affect park attendance in about the same way that Mardi Gras affects attendance - there is a small increase, but not a huge one, because most kids are in school at that time. Any thoughts?

I was there in January 2009 during the marathon and it did not make the parks any busier. There were some delays getting into the parks in the morning because of the runners but again not enough to make much difference. It was fun to see the runners and cheer for them as they went through the parks.

Staying on property over Marathon weekend you will notice three things.

1) Lots of runners staying at the resorts. They may not be going to the parks, but they tend to stay at the resorts to take advantage of the busing.

2) Possible delays in transportation on in the early AM. Biggest times you will see this is if you are doing an early AM character breakfast at MK or Contemporary. They did modify the Marathon route this year so that should be lessened, but it is still a possible issue. For any early AM appointment Sat or Sun, allow extra time. This includes any early tours or meals as various roads will be closed on property causing buses and traffic to be rerouted.

3) The runners that do go the parks Sunday or Monday (or heck, the whole following week) will often end up looking like they are in serious pain, going to fall over at any moment, and wearing the biggest grin on their face to match the bling around their neck. The in park crowds aren't increased that much, but you will notice a ton of people wearing their race shirts and medals. It's basically a badge of honor, especially for the large number of people who choose Disney as their first half or full marathon. (Or even their first race EVER!)

Thanks, guys. We were planning to go over the Mardi Gras holiday to accommodate school schedules, but the schoolies' parents are thinking they can just miss (kids are in kindergarten). It seems like everyone in LA who isn't interested in Mardi Gras goes to Disney that week since the kids are out of school. So, it looks like either weekend that we go, we'll have a little bump in crowds. I'm kind of leaning toward the marathon being less of a bump. And then I don't have to deal with the New Orleans airport during Mardi Gras.

We're going to stay at the Contemporary. Will that be a mistake during the Marathon weekend? I can switch resorts, I suppose, but I am in love with CR's location.

We were there this past Jan. and the crowds were great. We thought it was low crowds actually. :thumbsup2

3) The runners that do go the parks Sunday or Monday (or heck, the whole following week) will often end up looking like they are in serious pain, going to fall over at any moment, and wearing the biggest grin on their face to match the bling around their neck. The in park crowds aren't increased that much, but you will notice a ton of people wearing their race shirts and medals. It's basically a badge of honor, especially for the large number of people who choose Disney as their first half or full marathon. (Or even their first race EVER!)

First off, I wanted to say that this statement absolutely cracked me up! I will be running the 2013 marathon (as my first one!) and can easily picture myself in this situation. I will be one of the guests in pain, but still with an idiotic smile on her face :lmao:

Secondly, while I realize that I am not contributing much help to this thread, I wanted to say that all of these posts have made me feel even more excited to be participating. I had no idea that the crowds would be so tolerable- I was bracing myself for the worst!

I guess it makes sense though, since most people down there for the marathon are mainly there to run. Guess I'm gonna look pretty silly doing both!

Thanks! :)

We're going to stay at the Contemporary. Will that be a mistake during the Marathon weekend? I can switch resorts, I suppose, but I am in love with CR's location.

I would definitely stay with the CR; having access to the monorail will definitely help you avoid some of the marathon traffic Saturday and Sunday morning.

Have a great trip! I'll echo the reassurance that the races don't cause a huge uptick in park attendance. And that there will be plenty of sore but happy folks walking very slowly around starting about noon on Saturday.

I will also be one of the people in pain with a silly grin on my face! I have done one other "practice" 1/2 marathon for my real bucket list item of running the WDW 1/2. can't wait!

We just returnded from a family WDW/Universal trip on Sunday, and leaving was much more bearable knowing I would be back in January!:)

It shouldn't be. Just don't schedule anything early AM those two days, unless its at Epcot. Since the road in front of the Contemporary will become a single lane for a while til all the runners finish, it can take a while to get through that area. They send traffic in one direction, then stop and send it in the other. I believe that the new course will get runners to that point by about mile 5, so the slowest runners about 1 1/2 hrs after starting (about 30 mins earlier than previously). This means they should be out of there by like 7:45 or so. WDW will usually try to have the runners cleared from MK prior to park open at 9, so if you do MK as a normal day, or take the Monorail to TTC then to Epcot (I guess you could ride it all the way to the MK as well). That will pretty much avoid the crowds. There will most likely be a DJ on the water bridge before the hotel, but his speakers face away from it, so noise shouldn't be an issue. AK or DHS are possible, but unless you leave really early, there is a chance you won't make rope drop depending on how the traffic is being routed at that time.

First off, I wanted to say that this statement absolutely cracked me up! I will be running the 2013 marathon (as my first one!) and can easily picture myself in this situation. I will be one of the guests in pain, but still with an idiotic smile on her face :lmao:

I will also be one of the people in pain with a silly grin on my face! I have done one other "practice" 1/2 marathon for my real bucket list item of running the WDW 1/2. can't wait!

Good for you both. Speaking from experience, the worst park will most likely actually be dealing with the shuttle bus afterwards. Climbing those 4 steps and sitting down, and then doing the opposite to get off seem like the biggest challenge ever. Don't be shy to congratulate your fellow runners, you should see plenty of WISH/DIS racers down there.

This year was our third marathon year. Would like to echo the sentiments of traffic in the parks. However, DO NOT COUNT on the monorail being faster! Getting on and off during the marathon is brutal. While the park traffic is still light, over the last few years there are noticeably more spectators trying to get to the finish lines to cheer their family members. Took around 45 minutes to get on the monorail to EPCOT. For the PP, GET EXCITED!!!! It was a hoot and a half last year, my first 5k on my new knee!

Smonorailline1.jpg

SMonorailline2.jpg

Staying at the CR is awesome for Marathon Weekend, but I would plan on extra time if trying to go to Epcot via monorail either Saturday or Sunday mornings. The finish lines are there and many spectators are trying to get there to see runners finish. Last year, they had a problem with the monorail on Sunday and we waited an hour to get to Epcot via monorail in the morning. I felt bad for some people who were telling us that they had no idea it was Marathon Weekend and they were trying to get to Epcot for dining reservations. Don't think they made it. The MK would be perfect those mornings to just take the path to walk there.

The parks are nowhere near as busy as peak times but don't expect them to be empty either. They get most crowded after 1pm and seem to slow back down again after dinner time as the people who ran have been up since way early. :) Hopefully, since the Marathon Weekend is a week later this year, it will be less crowded since it's more distanced from the New Year traffic.

This year was our third marathon year. Would like to echo the sentiments of traffic in the parks. However, DO NOT COUNT on the monorail being faster! Getting on and off during the marathon is brutal. While the park traffic is still light, over the last few years there are noticeably more spectators trying to get to the finish lines to cheer their family members. Took around 45 minutes to get on the monorail to EPCOT. For the PP, GET EXCITED!!!! It was a hoot and a half last year, my first 5k on my new knee!

Smonorailline1.jpg

SMonorailline2.jpg

How funny! This is exactly what I was posting about! Glad you have photos of it! Everyone I told was like "no way!" yup. Thanks for posting!:goodvibes

We might end up down in the World over the marathon weekend in 2013 - for the novice (usually we go later in January) where do the runners run?

We'll have our car and would be coming from All Stars or AoA - what parks are best for those days in terms of traffic? Is there a way to avoid the runner's path all together?

We might end up down in the World over the marathon weekend in 2013 - for the novice (usually we go later in January) where do the runners run?

We'll have our car and would be coming from All Stars or AoA - what parks are best for those days in terms of traffic? Is there a way to avoid the runner's path all together?

We usually stay on property and use WDW transportation for Marathon Weekend, so I can't give you more information on that, but others may be able to. The resorts will give you updated information either when you check in or in your room will be a notice with road closure information, etc.

Friday is the 5K at Epcot, but takes place before the park opens.
Saturday is the 1/2 Marathon which starts and ends at Epcot.
Sunday is the Marathon which ends at Epcot. The park is open before runners finish.

I personally would avoid driving to Epcot on those days, if you want to do Epcot, either go a little later, or use Disney transportation.

The courses run through other parks and roads, but shouldn't impact you getting around or visiting the other parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter