WDW Magic Kingdom doesnt feel magical

MK is so magical to me I get tears in my eyes just walking down Main Street. :) I think DL may be just special to you that nothing else compares. Since the two are similar, you may just be gravitating to the newer parks at WDW that you had never experienced in California.

I have the same experience. Every time I tear up going down main street and at various shows, watching Wishes, etc. I've never been to DL but I imagine the similarities might take away if you are expecting it to be a different experience.

As a first time visitor to WDW but a longtime visitor to Disneyland I have to admit I'm underwhelmed at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and Animal Kingdom have been amazing and fun. Me and my wife have both loved those. We are heading to Hollywood Studios tomorrow so we can't speak on that part yet. The magic kingdom honestly just felt boring and incomplete. Disneyland feels more magical, more complete and more fun. I'm I the only one who feels like this?
The two experiences are very different things, and if Disneyland is your "home" park, you're not going to feel the same way walking into the MK. They're the same, but different, KWIM?

I feel the same way when I walk into Disneyland. I stand in Town Square and it just seems so small. I look to the right and can see half of Tomorrowland easily over the fence. When I'm standing in Pixie Hollow, the Matterhorn is right behind me and I can hear Jedi Training going on. When you get to the back of the park at Small World, you're at a dead end and have to come back out the way you came. The whole park feels smushed together to me and parts of it feel claustrophobic even when it's not that full. And Snow White castle -- while lovely and magical -- just doesn't seem to have the presence of Cinderella castle, which just seems to make more of a statement as you look up Main Street.

The only difference is Toontown. I LOVE Disneyland's Toontown and always have. But otherwise, I'll always spend more time at DCA than Disneyland. And that was true even before Cars Land came along.

:earsboy:

I've only been to DL once and I agree that it feels more magical. I love WDW and I love the MK, but there is something about DL that is just that much more special. I think it has a lot to do with the smaller size/more intimate feel and I also think it has a lot to do with the presence of Walt himself. I took a behind the scenes tour there, which I've never done at WDW, at that may have added to my magic. Lots of tidbits on where Walt stayed, his direct influence on rides, etc...

I recommend taking one of the Magic Kingdom tours. Keys to the Kingdom is the most thorough, but Marceline to the Magic Kingdom is also very nice.

They'll really open your eyes to the magic in the Magic Kingdom, and you'll be able to appreciate the park for its own unique qualities, instead of comparing it to Disneyland and finding it lacking.

Too me it appears that if you compare DL to the MK, the MK pales in comparison.

You should be comparing DL to the entire WDW resort.

As a first time visitor to WDW but a longtime visitor to Disneyland I have to admit I'm underwhelmed at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and Animal Kingdom have been amazing and fun. Me and my wife have both loved those. We are heading to Hollywood Studios tomorrow so we can't speak on that part yet. The magic kingdom honestly just felt boring and incomplete. Disneyland feels more magical, more complete and more fun. I'm I the only one who feels like this?

This could have a lot to do with what you're "used to". I've only been to DL once as a grown up ( one other time I don't remember when I was very little ). And I *did* love it and would love to go back. That being said, I get emotional every time I step through the train station onto Main Street in WDW.

I love both DL and the MK, but I know what you mean. DL does have a special spark to it. Maybe it's the compact size that makes it feel... I don't know, maybe more of a complete thing? (I've never found a simple translation of Gesamtkunstwerk that I really like.)

I would guess it's because you are more familiar with DL. I've never been to DL so I can't compare, but for me growing up with memories of WDW MK I find it very magical. For example I met a friend at EPCOT last February just for the day. Her daughter wanted a balloon from MK so we hopped over just to grab the balloon. I walked onto main street looked up at the castle and immediately got all teary eyed! I had just been there in January! LOL!! Most of your Disney memories were made at DL so naturally it would seem more magical to you. :)

I recommend taking one of the Magic Kingdom tours. Keys to the Kingdom is the most thorough, but Marceline to the Magic Kingdom is also very nice.

They'll really open your eyes to the magic in the Magic Kingdom, and you'll be able to appreciate the park for its own unique qualities, instead of comparing it to Disneyland and finding it lacking.

:thumbsup2

Too me it appears that if you compare DL to the MK, the MK pales in comparison.

You should be comparing DL to the entire WDW resort.

Definitely. WDW beats DLR resort for resort. But DL beats MK park for park. Oh.... and Cindy's castle beats Aurora's.

We're heading west this year and I have such mixed feelings. I know I love DL, but that tiny castle is going to take some getting used to again!

We are long-time visitors to WDW and LOVE MK, but the last few years we've gone to DL in the summer and I have to admit I fell in love with it. Except for the caste, which is ridiculously small (looks like a toy!), the rest of the park I find better than MK - better rides, better atmosphere (such as the singing pirates) and much better food choices. That said, I still enjoy MK a great deal!

As a Southern California native, I have to say that I was a little underwhelmed by Magic Kingdom. I think a lot of that comes from the necessity of buildings not having really complicated facades because lines are inside for the most part. Obviously in California there's not quite the heat that Florida has so it makes sense, but I felt it was less than magical. I also felt that WDW felt more plain in terms of themeing (especially in Fantasyland), but again I think it's due to the fact that the walkways are HUGE and have to be because of the much heavier crowds at WDW. To me it felt more like a parking lot in places than a themed area and I didn't like that. All that said, I still liked MK just not as much as DL :goodvibes

Been to both parks several times (even did a trip where we traveled from DL to WDW) and I prefer Disneyland. I like how small it is and I feel like the CMs are better.

MK is far more magical to me when it is not hot and crowded. So at this time of year I would agree with you that MK can be sort of "eh". Now give me a beautiful day in December or January.....and it is definitely a happy place for me.

We've only been to DL once but I will say that the original park is definitely the best Disney park that I've ever been to. If you look at it from the perspective of comparing one park to MK then DL wins IMO.

I just got back from my fourth trip to DL and it was magical but to me so is the MK at WDW. I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I find this discussion very interesting. I've never personally been to DL, my 12th trip to WDW is next week. But my partner went to DL for the first time last October and thought it paled in comparison to MK. Said it was small, stuff was stuck everywhere and didn't seem to make sense and the overall flow of the park was really bad. His overall impression was that it didn't seem very well thought out. He said he'd take MK over DL any day.

I guess it's all about perspective and what you're used to? I'm still looking forward to getting to DL some day soon so I can see for myself!

I find this discussion very interesting. I've never personally been to DL, my 12th trip to WDW is next week. But my partner went to DL for the first time last October and thought it paled in comparison to MK. Said it was small, stuff was stuck everywhere and didn't seem to make sense and the overall flow of the park was really bad. His overall impression was that it didn't seem very well thought out. He said he'd take MK over DL any day.

I guess it's all about perspective and what you're used to? I'm still looking forward to getting to DL some day soon so I can see for myself!

Oh my goodness this. I am a WDW vet who had her first DL trip last Christmas. I walked in the front gates and immediately exclaimed "that's IT?" When I saw the castle. I also felt perpetually lost and everything felt backwards, Mis-matched and out of place.

I enjoyed DL, but personally I did not feel the Disney magic until I went WDW. Granted, DL has the nostalgia factor in it's favor, but it's actual 'location' greatly diminished the magic for me. I suppose if I lived in CA, I would visit DL often, but as far as I'm concerned WDW is the whole package, and in a league all it's own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter