WDW Info for Today -- Charley

While we still have rain and wind (about 30-40 mph), the brunt of the storm has passed without noticeable effect.

Our lights flickered many times, but never went out and continues to flicker in and out. The TV just reported wind gusts up to 105 mph. The noise is gone, only occasional gusts offer a reminder of the past hour. Tornados are still a possibility.

There are branches and leaves down around the resort, there seems to be no lasting damage. No word yet about park openings tomorrow- I's guess it depends on the ability of CM's to get in from outlying areas.

This was much worse than Floyd, but WDW did a great job of preparing and handling the details of dealing with the storm and keeping guests safe during the event.

:)

Originally posted by WebmasterDoc
The TV just reported wind gusts up to 105 mph. :)

About five minutes ago, the Weather Channel reported that a wind gust of 105 mph was recorded at the Orlando airport. They also stated the eye of the storm was right over Orlando.

Glad to hear you got through the first hit. CharlieNJ is posting on the Community Board -- he's at BWI. He mentioned the sandwiches in the lobby there and that they had a second round and asked only those who hadn't gotten anything the first time to come take them.

Never thought such a strong storm would make it into Orlando!

According to the Swan and Dolphin Hotel Weather Station the wind is gusting at 69mph, rain is falling at a rate of .96 inches per hours. It has rained 14.44 inches just today. Incredible to say the least!!! Thanks a lot for reports.

Doc and Diana...wishing you all a safe vacation....sounds like you are both being troopers and hanging in there...keep the good thoughts up.::yes::

Doc, We've been watching CNN to get updates on WDW. We haven't seen much about Orlando - should have known you'd have all the answers! You're always such a good source of info. Glad to hear it has passed by you and that everyone is safe. I wonder how the projects under construction (SSR, Expedition Everest etc.) fared. Thank goodness you still have power. We went through the great midwest balckout at this time last summer and we were just saying how much worse it would be to be in Florida in August with no A/C. Hope tomorrow brings sunshine and clear skies.:sunny:

Great Job keeping the rest of us up-to-date! Stay safe and dry. I hope all is well. Keep sending those reports when you can.

Thanks for the updates! We have experienced some tubulent weather here in the Carolinas this evening. We were in Raleigh and getting reports of tornado warnings while out on I-40 in between walls with no where to go and buckets of rain. So we sit here with much anticipation wondering what is going on down there. Praying that all stay safe in that area.

As Doc said, it's passed by. Can't tell about damage, see some debris down. I have been in worse storms, so it was not too bad. Disney was great.

Hope our cars are ok. :)

Thanks for the reports so far Doc and Diana...I hope everyone is doing well this morning.

It appears WDW parks are opening this morning so must not be too much damage there.

EDIT to add - AK is closed today.

hope everyone is safe and well!

Doc or Diane has anyone say where to send donations for the CM who need the help?

I am rather mad at the Red Cross - so would like a place to send a direct donation.

I can't believe in the middle of the storm Doc you and Diane could report on it.....

thanks for the great information.

hope everyone gets a break today.

Thanks to you guys who are down there. As a former resident of Louisiana and Florida I have been through quite a few hurricanes. While it is no fun locals take it in stride much better than visiters. Lots of people up here say "I would NEVER live where a hurricane could come!" Well, up here we get tornados, California gets earthquakes, ect... Glad to see my beloved Florida seems to have survived, we do have family in Winter Park (north of Orlando.) Now we just have to see where Charley goes next.

Thanks Doc and Diane :)

Like so many others here, instead of watching the television for updates on the Orlando area, I came to the DIS for information. My sister and her family live south of Tampa and evacuated to Orlando (actually WDW because of their belief in its "magic") and I haven't been able to reach her. So I feel better knowing that it sounds like WDW wasn't hit all that hard.

Once everyone gets out of their resorts, I hope we continue to hear some good, positive outcomes with little to no devastation.

Fondly.

Its a good thing they left Tampa, seems to have been much worse at the coast with tragic loss of live (saw this on weather.com.) It is always wise to evacuate when they tell you to. Funny that your family went ot WDW, they should be fine. Let us know when you hear something!

Morning all, Dancind here. Charley was pretty much a non-event here at BCV. We stayed in our room and didn't hear much at all, though we could look out and tell that the wind was blowing and that it was raining. I expected much more lightning, but that seemed to be only in the first two waves. It was all over by 11 pm. Called my husband and told him that we had invested in a very well-built property! I have not turned on the TV yet to hear damage reports.

Yes, the parks except AK are open this morning. When my DD gets up, I hope to visit one of them. I think they said that no busses are running, but that may be only to DTD, which is closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter