WDW in summer tips?

halssister

Mouseketeer
just booked our trip for July 30 - Aug 3:yay:. I am pretty psyched about it, though not thrilled about going during the summer in the heat. This will be our second trip for DH, DS (13, ASD) and myself. The last time we went was about 5 years ago, and we pulled out of school and went at the end of September. Unfortunately, I now work for the school district and can't take time off during the year, so we have to do either summer or spring break. So we are taking advantage of the current Disney Visa promo and booked POR for 5 nights, with 4 days in the parks (one park per day).
Now, we may be a little strange, but we don't do many rides, mostly just shows, and last time we were done at the park by 1 or 2 each day. We are early risers so we're there for rope drop or EMH in the a.m. if available. But I have a horrible time in heat and humidity :worried:. So any tips for dealing with the heat?
How about summer crowds....again, we don't do many rides so lines aren't normally too big an issue, but just the thought of navigating the throngs of people in general makes me a little nervous. We only do counter serve for lunch and try to eat as soon as places open to try to make that better, then do dinner at the POR food court. Most of the afternoon is spent at the pool. So any tips, warnings, advice etc about traveling that time of year would be much appreciated!

We are in the exact same boat. DH teaches at college, and the program he teaches does not get a spring break, and he's not allowed time off during the year. So we're going in June (he only gets 6 weeks off, has to work all of August).

I think really you've answered a lot of your own questions:

Get there at RD. Make use of morning EMH. Plan on being done by 1 each day to beat the worst of the heat and crowds. Have lunch once you get back to your resort, pack snacks to take with you in the park. Spend your afternoons at the pool, then go back into a park in the evening after supper when it's cooler/less crowded (choose a park without evening magic hours). Make sure you FP+ any big shows/rides you do want to do. Animal Kingdom is the only one you may have to push through since it closes at 7:00, so I would get there at RD, do any of the walking trails early as possible, then FP+ any of the shows/rides you want to do.

I too have problems with heat. Here a few tips I use in the parks mainly. Before the trip I purchase(walmart) those disposable ice packs that you crunch and they get cold. I buy enough for one a day. I pack them and take them to the park. I don't use one a day but have for when I get over come. It's good for twenty minutes and then throw. By 20 minutes I would feel better if not we'd leave the park. I also have those cooling cloths you can buy. A friend bought it for me so I'm not sure of the price or where to buy but it works wonderfully. I tend to use it during outdoor shows sitting it on my legs or arms to stay cool. I also have those little personal fans not with water that you can buy at (Walmart) for about $2. Dry cool air works best for me. Get one for everyone because they'll want to use yours when you take it out. While I love my family and don't mind sharing for my health I keep mine and they get their own. Of course any counter service you can get water or ice for free so I try to be aware of those places in case I start to feel ill. Hope my tips help.

Get to parks at rope drop and do as much as you can before it starts to get hot. Get free ice water at any quick service location to keep well hydrated throughout the day. Buy " cooling towels" that you wet and wring out to put on your neck or to wipe your face with. This made a big difference. You can buy these at sporting good stores but I got ours at 5 below if they have that store where you live. We usually go back to resort after lunch for a dip in the pool or to relax in our room and then go back out a little later. Take advantage of indoor shows,attractions with air conditioning.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will have to check out the cooling towels, and the free cups of ice are a great idea - DS LOVES to chew on ice anyway and that will help keep him cool. And I guess the fact that we do mostly shows will work to our advantage, since, air conditioning!!!! AK is our favorite park, which of course has very little shade, but hoping maybe they will have a morning EMH one of the days we are there so we can get an early start on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter