WDW in Jan ??

pandora174

DIS Veteran
Due to budget reasons we have to re-schedule our vacation from Sept to Jan. Trying to look on the bright side that then we can spend a little more $ ! Never stayed in Jan. Went 12/03 & stayed at the BWI & Poly & this past Mar. at the POP and loved it both times. Any suggestions for the best week in Jan. to pick ? Also any ideas if either AP or fl resident codes come out in that time ? What deluxe hotel would you choose ? How are crowds ? It'll just me, my DH & DS (2 years at the time). Any suggestions are really appreciated & most welcome ! :wave2:

We like going in Jan., altho this year it was very cold - so weather is a bit unpredictable! However, the crowds are very low (even over MLK weekend, it was doable!). We stayed at AKL, which was beautiful - and with the cooler weather the animals were out constantly. I think your little one would love that. Just be sure to ask for a room close to Mara/pool!

Have fun!

We've been there in January for the past three years, and yes, you will probably have some COLD days. Average daily high is about 70, but we've seen a few days that struggled to make it out of the 50's, and mid to upper 60's is more the norm.

The crowds are generally very light, although a lot of things close early.

Anne

Late Jan. 2003 it was freezing- literally! Two nights down below freezing, daytime highs in low 40's most of the week! Fortunately we had our winter coats! This winter at about the same time it was much nicer...jeans and tee shirts, with sweatshirts for the evenings. It's a FNATASTIC time to go to WDW, literally no waiting most of the time...DD rode Space Mountain over and over and over. Just don't pick a hotel or resort based on their POOL...it's a bit too cool for swimming!

We have gone in September, January, and February. January was the busiest of the three, and the coldest of the three. I was very disappointed by both. However, it was still doable, and I think the crowds are nothing compared to the busy times. Unfortunately, I can't compare to busy times, just the slower times I've gone.

I'm not sure how this effects the crowds, but the WDW Marathon takes place on the 9th of January 2005 --- there is a weekend full of activities leading up to the marathon on Sunday.

The marathon has minimal impact on the crowds.

Anne

We went this year in January and it was cold AND I got the flu....probably won't be going in January again.

I was there this year before the Marathon and I thought it was more croweded than other times I've been especially MK on Saturday. It was also VERY cold. I would try for later in the month.

I loved the Poly. You can't beat the convenience of the Monorail.

We went Jan. 03 (beginning of the month) and Jan. 04 (Martin Luther King holiday weekend). This year was a much better trip. The beginning of the month was more crowded, I think leftover crowds from New Years. It was much more cold in 2003 than 2004 but theres no way to predict that and you should be prepared for cold! By cold I mean at or near freezing. The crowds weren't nearly as bad on the holiday weekend as I was expecting - it was actually not bad at all, I was surprised! I would go again in January for sure.

Hmmm, I thought 2003 and 2004 were about the same for cold. 2002 was FREEZING.

Anne

We love going in January. For us any weather in the 60's is perfect for going to WDW. The kids get cranky in the heat so Jan. allows us to really spend a lot of time in the parks. Last time we went in Jan. we found the crowds very manageable, significantly less than our May '03 trip! When we travel in the hotter months we spend less time in the parks more time in the pool.
I would choose late Jan. to avoid the marathon (although I heard it does not impact crowds much) and MLK weekend. We have never had a problem getting an AP discount for January for the GF. As far as which deluxe to choose, that is really personal preference. If it was just me and a 2 year-old I would probably choose the Poly for easy access to MK and Epcot although my personal favorite is the GF. We found the boat to the WL had long lines during the off season b/c it seemed to run less. The AKL is great for the kids, but I prefer the monorail over all buses. The Epcot area resorts are nice in the off season b/c the parks close so early it is nice to be able to walk to the WS and the boardwalk for something to do.
Not to totally confuse you but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the deluxes. They are all unique.

We've been to WDW three times in January and it's probably our favorite time to go. The weather, as noted, can be a real gamble temperature wise, but on the plus side it's one of the driest times of the year down there! Once crowds thin out after New Year's (the Marathon does have a small, but noticable, impact... and we haven't been there MLK week) you have the run of the place!

DW and I went In Jan 2002, crowds were very light, but temps were very low! We had a great time just the same.

That being said, when we take the whole Fam, we prefer to go in June, yes the parks are more crowded, but DS's are waterdogs! And the waterparks and Resort pools are as important as the Theme parks.

So I guess it just depends on what you're there to do.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter