WDW in August? How bad?

August is body drenching, mind altering heat and humidity. We have been during the time you stated and will be there again this summer during this time 6 Aug-21 Aug . It takes a c ouple days to adjust to the heat. It was overwhelming the first couple days there ! As in Holy COW! I have never felt anything like this! As I said we are going back again in August -Due to school schedules. A few hints some have been mentioned already:
  1. Stay hydrated!!!! You MUST drink plenty of water all day. Not soda or coffee or Hi C but water. Yes you will be making Potty breaks more often but you won't get dehydrated which is something you do not want to have happen.
  2. Know your childrens' breaking point. Don't push them any further than you know they can handle. I see this all the time parents want to get the most out of their trip and for their money. Meanwhile the kids are exhausted and not enjoying any of it.
  3. Take mid day breaks and NAP or at least lie down for a couple hours in your room. Heading for the pool at mid day is not a resstful break. Go to your room and relax out of the sun and the heat
  4. Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen. Need I say more
  5. Go with a Plan start early and get as much as you can before noon/1PM Leave and if you wish come back to the park in the evening. Use TGM, TP, or Ridemax. What ever one you prefer but use a plan so you aren't spending time in the heat debating w hat to do next. I see grumpy people doing this every time we go no plan, they are hot, kids miserable a little planning goes a long way!
  6. Take a day off from the parks. Enjoy your resort. Just have a day to take it easy.
  7. The AC attractions are always a welcome relief! MAybe you aren't interested in the film in France, but you sure wi ll appreciate it when you are out of the heat for a while!
  8. Go in with reasonable expectations. You can and will have fun if you don't let the heat and humidity overcome you! Realize that you will probably be more tired during this trip than others taken during another time of year. Listen to your body and act accordingly.
Seriously we really don't mind August and we know what to expect. Sure there are more comfortable times to be at WDW but those times don't work with school time or our schedule.

The problem is that the OP isn't talking about the 'end' of the month but the middle. Yes, the southern schools used to go back to school in early Aug, but they have moved it to mid-August now. So, that's a moot point. And with free dining possibly being offered on the 14th, that is going to bring a humumgous number of people down..people that may not have booked trips at this time of year since they have kids getting ready to go back to school in the ensuing weeks. It used to be that free dining was offered around the 21st or so...and many people just couldn't head down then...their kids were starting school either that week, or they were in sports camps and starting school the following week. But when Disney moved the free dining promo back to the 15/16, it caused more people to head down since it was still far enough away from the start of school.
But....after that initial first week of free dining, the crowds died waaaay down. So, if the OP is set on going for that particular week, it could be dicey if free dining is announced...they may have lots of company.

With a chance of free dining being offered mid-August, is it a possibility that it may lower crowds a bit, the beginning of August? We are going Aug3-Aug10. I know it'll be hot and crowded, but dh will be home for R&R then, so our dates are pretty firm.
We are from the south, so although I don't like it, we can handle the heat, but curious about how different the crowds will be as we usually go during spring break or October.

This will be our first trip since we found out my son is a type 1 diabetic, so we'll take advantage of being at the Poly to get a rest in the heat of the afternoon.

Thanks!

We usually go in June but last year we went in August (1 - 10). We had a good time but the heat and crowds really got to us. We've been to Disney many times so we don't wait for rides for more than 20 minutes.

The problem was waiting for shows such as Fantasmic and others. It was mind-altering hot. I mean melt-off-your-face hot and with thousands of people crammed like cattle waiting to get to Fantasmic, it wasn't pleasant.

That being said, we will go again in August if need be but it would not be our first choice. It's just too hot and crowded. We leave the parks by 12:30 and go back to the pool. The pool is packed and the water is like 100 degrees.

August is hot no doubt. Last summer we went in June and August and June was worse than August because of some freak heat wave. If August is when you can go then go and deal with the heat. It is manageble if you plan as others have posted.
For us being from the DC area we figure it is hot and misserable at home so we may as well be in FL. But again we are used to hot and humid. These are things to consider. Can your boys handle it? Will you take mid-day breaks or make them mega tour.

Heck in August 2008 a cold wave came through and there was a mass exit at BB because it suddenly became rainy and cold. Go figure..... You just don't know for sure.

With a chance of free dining being offered mid-August, is it a possibility that it may lower crowds a bit, the beginning of August? We are going Aug3-Aug10. I know it'll be hot and crowded, but dh will be home for R&R then, so our dates are pretty firm.
We are from the south, so although I don't like it, we can handle the heat, but curious about how different the crowds will be as we usually go during spring break or October.

This will be our first trip since we found out my son is a type 1 diabetic, so we'll take advantage of being at the Poly to get a rest in the heat of the afternoon.

Thanks!
no Free Dining in mid August will have no affect on crowds in the beginning. Crowds will be much heavier than October and probably heavier than march but not buy much.

We have gone to WDW twice in August and are going from July 30th - August 9th. Yes, it is very hot in August and it can be crowded at times. However, it is one of my favorite times to visit WDW. As long as you go to the parks early, leave mid-day and rest at your resort, then go back for the evening you will be fine. Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful trip!! :goodvibes

no Free Dining in mid August will have no affect on crowds in the beginning. Crowds will be much heavier than October and probably heavier than march but not buy much.

Ah, but it does. Let's say you have your choice of weeks to go to WDW during the summer months. You were thinking of going down July 31-Aug 8 (the time I am going this summer), but then you hear of 'free dining' being offered a few weeks later. Hmmm, you say to yourself, free dining is a good thing for us. Let's go then instead.
I know a lot of people decided to go for free dining as opposed to the buy 4, get 3 free promo last summer.

I have to say, and I've said it many times before, I have only seen larger crowds at WDW once....and that was Thanksgiving weekend. The crowds for that first week of free dining in August were amazing...yes, there were pockets of areas that didn't have shoulder to shoulder people, but they were few and far between. Between the heat, humidity and the crowds, it just wasn't nearly as much fun as usual.

Ah, but it does. Let's say you have your choice of weeks to go to WDW during the summer months. You were thinking of going down July 31-Aug 8 (the time I am going this summer), but then you hear of 'free dining' being offered a few weeks later. Hmmm, you say to yourself, free dining is a good thing for us. Let's go then instead.
I know a lot of people decided to go for free dining as opposed to the buy 4, get 3 free promo last summer.

I have to say, and I've said it many times before, I have only seen larger crowds at WDW once....and that was Thanksgiving weekend. The crowds for that first week of free dining in August were amazing...yes, there were pockets of areas that didn't have shoulder to shoulder people, but they were few and far between. Between the heat, humidity and the crowds, it just wasn't nearly as much fun as usual.
I think what the OP meant was will free dining have an affect on crowds for the first couple weeks meaning will the crowds Aug 1 - 15 (assuming FD starts on the 15) be lower because more people will be there for FD after the 15th. My answer to that was no. I think that more people will show up for Free Dining than if they didn't offer it but it won't lower the crowds for other periods during the summer.

We went in 2009 Aug 18-26th. The crowds were very manageable, the heat was tolerable but we left the parks by 1:00 and didn't get back to them until 5 or 6. I didn't mind that time of year. ;) I have a link to my trip report below. My kids were 4 and 7 at the time.

The other wild card is Hurricanes. If you get one, you vacation may be very different than you planned. I live in Fla - and I am used to the heat, but it is something I don't enjoy. Be sure to get a water-park ticket. Take it easy and remember that vacation is to be enjoyed.

I appreciate all the advice! We actually just got a pin code for dates in June that could work with out schedule. We are now looking at June 6-12. How are the crowds during that time? I am thinking our 30/35/40 pin code will be better than holding our for a free dining code. Is it? This is so new to us to be going during these times we have always gone during winter or early spring!

Thank you so much for all the help. I always know I can count on my dissers!

Sharron

HORRIBLE - NEVER AGAIN! We all think we can take the heat, after all, we're at Disney!! But even my kids refuse to go back in August.

I'm leaving Friday for nice, cool, comfortable Disney in January - it's the best!

We have gone for part of the first two weeks of August each of the last two years (2-8 in 08 and 4-12 in 09).

It really isn't that crowded. Wait times depend on the rides and the day. Except for the big major thrill rides, you can walk onto most other things with little to no wait (heck our wait for mission space walking on was as fast as we could walk through hallways).

On our last trip, our last day there was the first day of free dining and Disney was a MADHOUSE. We could barely walk through MK, SOO much different then our first day at MK that trip where we have pictures with almost no people in them!

We don't find the heat and humidity in August that bad, but then again, we are from St. Louis and the last two years it was actually hotter and more humid at home then it was in Orlando *sigh* My kids have no problem with it (but they also spend all summer outside for camp) and it doesn't bother DH or I (again we are pretty used to seeing high 90/100 degree temps in late July and through August).

The first year we went in August we had almost no rain the entire trip. Last year we had rain every day and for at least 3 days we had 2 hours of heavy showers/t-storms (I have lots of pictures of us drenched, it was fun!):rolleyes1

I appreciate all the advice! We actually just got a pin code for dates in June that could work with out schedule. We are now looking at June 6-12. How are the crowds during that time? I am thinking our 30/35/40 pin code will be better than holding our for a free dining code. Is it? This is so new to us to be going during these times we have always gone during winter or early spring!

Thank you so much for all the help. I always know I can count on my dissers!

Sharron

It depends on where your staying and the make up of your party. For example, 30% off value rate may be $27/day ($90 day normal rate), so free dining maybe be a better deal where 40% off a deluxe would be $140 ($350 night normal rate) a day, free dining may be the same or worse deal. Or a moderate ($150/night) would be about $52/off day.

For our party, $140 off a deluxe is the same as free dining (our dining cost is $138/night 2 adults, 1 junior, 1 child). For 2 adults and 2 kids dining runs $108/night, 2 adults 2 juniors its $168/night.

Those prices don't include peak season pricing (just the average room rate for a standard room at these parks).

If your staying at a moderate, free dining will be a better savings savings (108 versus 52), at a value, it depends on which free dining they offer if its just QS its about even, if its the full plan free dining is huge savings over discount.

We are going Aug 20-27th, what do you think the crowds will be like then? Will it have died down? We got the free dining pin :banana:

I think what the OP meant was will free dining have an affect on crowds for the first couple weeks meaning will the crowds Aug 1 - 15 (assuming FD starts on the 15) be lower because more people will be there for FD after the 15th. My answer to that was no. I think that more people will show up for Free Dining than if they didn't offer it but it won't lower the crowds for other periods during the summer.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the OP...not another poster. Yes, you were right in your answer. I stand corrected. It won't impact the crowds earlier in the month if they off free dining to the general public Aug 15. In fact, it may very well diminish some of the regular crowds.

It depends on where your staying and the make up of your party. For example, 30% off value rate may be $27/day ($90 day normal rate), so free dining maybe be a better deal where 40% off a deluxe would be $140 ($350 night normal rate) a day, free dining may be the same or worse deal. Or a moderate ($150/night) would be about $52/off day.

For our party, $140 off a deluxe is the same as free dining (our dining cost is $138/night 2 adults, 1 junior, 1 child). For 2 adults and 2 kids dining runs $108/night, 2 adults 2 juniors its $168/night.

Those prices don't include peak season pricing (just the average room rate for a standard room at these parks).

If your staying at a moderate, free dining will be a better savings savings (108 versus 52), at a value, it depends on which free dining they offer if its just QS its about even, if its the full plan free dining is huge savings over discount.

Thanks for the break down currently we have 40% BB deluxe booked party of 4(all adult dining age) the regular dining plan going 8/15 to 8/23. So free dining would be a bigger discount.:surfweb: I will keep an eye open.

We went during the first week of June last year and the weather didn't seem that bad- it was hot during the day, but at night it was comfortable. The crowds weren't that bad either. I had a great time that week!
Have a great time! Maybe you'll be there for one of MGM's/Hollywood Studios Star Wars Weekends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter