WDW Haunted Mansion rumors and updates

Very interesting, but does this mean that we are now moving away from the whole Master Gracey story? Not to be a party pooper, but I just don't think that this "axe bride" thing really is very disney-like, let alone MAGIC-KINGDOM-LIKE! I mean, this is a tad-bit extreme for kids, isn't it? I mean, as a teenager, I think this is beyond-cool...I'm just thinking of how I would feel if I was 6 or whatever and going to Disney for the first time and seeing a creepy bride that wanted to chop me up into little pieces! Does anyone agree with me?
Also, I just don't agree with changing a classic ride. I mean, I have grown up with this ride, my mom's grown up with this ride, and we've all known the story of Master Gracey. I don't know...

...but doesn't the serial killer theme seem a bit over the top for a theme park geared towards kids (young and old;) )??

I think the HM always had a fun factor that helped overcome the darker side for children, and I'm sure that will still be true, I just hope it doesn't get too rough for children. Just my .02.

Heres some more info from another source

25 July 2007: Haunted Mansion details begin to emerge

Some exciting information is beginning to materialize regarding the currently in-progress Haunted Mansion refurbishment. Besides upgrades to the audio, lighting and special effects systems, the floating Madame Leota head and the Haunted Bride from Disneyland will both be installed, and best of all, they have both been improved on since the Disneyland installation. Another great addition to the mansion will be a completely new scene, taking place in the former spider scene. It's an all new multiple staircase scene, unique to Florida's mansion. There will also be other additions throughout the attraction scenes, including new props.

The new improved Haunted Mansion is set to open in September 2007. Don't expect it to reopen early though, as the timescales are apparently very tight to get everything completed.

...but doesn't the serial killer theme seem a bit over the top for a theme park geared towards kids (young and old;) )??

I think the HM always had a fun factor that helped overcome the darker side for children, and I'm sure that will still be true, I just hope it doesn't get too rough for children. Just my .02.

thank you! at least someone agrees with me! i mean, i am all for change for the better, but I am just afraid that this will sort of suck the "magic" out of the "magic kingdom".

I mean, this is a tad-bit extreme for kids, isn't it? I mean, as a teenager, I think this is beyond-cool...I'm just thinking of how I would feel if I was 6 or whatever and going to Disney for the first time and seeing a creepy bride that wanted to chop me up into little pieces! Does anyone agree with me?

Well, in the bride's defence, the whole serial killer thing is all very implied, she never says anything (that I can remember at least) about actually killing anyone. Just stuff like "here comes the briiiide!" and whatnot. Besides, she wouldn't want to chop you up unless you married her! ;) But when I went on the DL version a couple of times, I didn't see any kids that looked particularly scared coming off (no crying or anything). I will admit, the bride did really freak me out the first time I went on the new version, but it was more of an "OMIGOSH!" moment that passed very quickly.

Well, in the bride's defence, the whole serial killer thing is all very implied, she never says anything (that I can remember at least) about actually killing anyone. Just stuff like "here comes the briiiide!" and whatnot. Besides, she wouldn't want to chop you up unless you married her! ;) But when I went on the DL version a couple of times, I didn't see any kids that looked particularly scared coming off (no crying or anything). I will admit, the bride did really freak me out the first time I went on the new version, but it was more of an "OMIGOSH!" moment that passed very quickly.

that is true. i don't know, i'll just have to really see it to decide whether or not i think it's too much of a change. i mean, i'm sure it'll be fine, since potc was rehabbed and it was awesome!

If you watch the video it all happens so fast that you don't really see what shes up too. I had to do a double take to catch the axe the first time.

I mean it is the "Haunted" Mansion. A little terror is good for the mind. I imagine that any kids scared by this small portion of the ride will come back to feeling at ease with the graveyard scene. All be it wacky my kids find the humor in some of those ghosts.

Phantom manor was much more intense then the HM at WDW and everyone came out wanting more :)

AWESOME! I'm all for a serial killer bride... as long at they don't take it too far for the kids! I mean as long as it's implied and she doesn't come running after you with the axe I think it will be scary enough for the little kids and leave enough to the adult imagination. Too bad it will still be closed when I'm there but I'm looking forward to our next trip so I can see it!

I'm okay with the changes, but from what they are doing they may be going a little extreme for the axe bride. I myself would like to see a change like that I think it would be cool, although It could scare the little kids to death;)

I think it looks great. It's not as though the bride was all happy-fuzzy-bunny before, ya know? She had evil glowing eyes and a still-beating undead heart, didn't she? - if the kids weren't freaked out by that, then I think they'll be fine.

It's the mini-bride at the end that gets me... Eesssh. "Hurry baaaaack, hurrrry baaaaaaack." Eek!

I think it looks great!! I know I've read that the re-opening date is going to be tight but please, oh please, pixiedust: let it open 2 days early so I can catch it on my Sept. trip (last MK day is the 11th)

I have no problem with the axe, as long as they don't show it in action. ;)

What I really hope is the joker that took the flash photography isn't in the car either in front of or behind me.

Exuse my ignorance (as I have rode HM a thousand times), but where exactly was the spider scene located in relation to the other rooms. I know what it looks like, but I'm trying to think where in the ride it is.

Thanks!

Hmmm, not quite sure what I think of the bride. We'll be there September 12-18th so hopefully it will open in time and I'll be able to see it and actually decide then.

I find it interesting how, in an attraction that begins with a decayed body hanging by the neck from the rafters, some people can think that a bride simply holding an axe is somehow too graphic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter