WDW has went Cheapo for Xmas

LarryJ

Dedicated FW 1600 "Looper"
Haven't done a complete survey, but the great light display between the tree and the fountain at EPCOT is gone and everywhere we go there just seems like a lot less Xmas decorations, but we have nothing to judge that on except what we remember.

Too bad that Disney is gone GRINCH:rolleyes:

So what say you that are here now.

Larry

When we were there two weeks ago I was sad to see the arched lights over the big walkway down the center of Epcot back to the countries was missing. I thought that arched walkway was so pretty last year! Other than that I can't say I noticed less lights and decorations, but I wasn't really looking for them, either.

Larry - We were at Epcot the first weekend in Dec. and I had hoped they just hadn't put the lighted archway up yet. That was as much an Epcot icon as the tree. Too bad.

We noticed that the Xmas tree decorations on the main walkway to HS were missing this year and had been replaced with some cheesy shooting stars.

Perhaps the economy has hit WDW harder than they want everyone to think it has?

Economy,, shmanomy!
I keep telln ya'll,,,it's that BOBBY I. !!!
ONE BITE AT A TIME !

From what I have heard, it was not a decision of just finances. The technology that worked the arches is extremely out of date and something went wrong with it and there are no parts available to fix it. I am sure with enough complaints, they will get the "new hotness" technology and put them back. I just don't think that was feasible in the time they had to fix the problem. Things of that scale just don't get an overhaul quickly.

It wasn't just the archway missing, it was a lot of decorations missing. There were no presents under the big tree, no Christmas decs along walk to/through Mexico, very little in Germany. I could go on, but basically there wasn't much to say Merry Christmas. It was quite noticable.

It wasn't just the archway missing, it was a lot of decorations missing. There were no presents under the big tree, no Christmas decs along walk to/through Mexico, very little in Germany. I could go on, but basically there wasn't much to say Merry Christmas. It was quite noticable.

We noticed it too. Everywhere except Main Street and the Osborne lights everything was less. I remember back in 1999 or 2000 that I complained that there was too "much" Christmas there. They had just about every available surface covered with Christmas. For example, every one of the bus stops at the Studios had lighted garland around the top of it, plus lots more.

The lights of Winter was the most noticeable missing thing. Also, because the lights were gone, the fountain didn't seem to dance to Christmas music at closing either. I could sit there and watch the fountain dance for an hour or more after Illuminations while the crowds thinned out and didn't have that opportunity.

Maybe the .... forget it.....I'd be accused of being racist - or at the very least, profiling!

We noticed it too. Everywhere except Main Street and the Osborne lights everything was less. I remember back in 1999 or 2000 that I complained that there was too "much" Christmas there. They had just about every available surface covered with Christmas. For example, every one of the bus stops at the Studios had lighted garland around the top of it, plus lots more.

The lights of Winter was the most noticeable missing thing. Also, because the lights were gone, the fountain didn't seem to dance to Christmas music at closing either. I could sit there and watch the fountain dance for an hour or more after Illuminations while the crowds thinned out and didn't have that opportunity.

We've only been to EPCOT since we are concentrating on things like the Candlelight Processional and Whoopi did a better job than I expected yesterday. We haven't been to any of the Deluxe ones yet but CBR, Pop, All Star, Yacht/Beach, and Swan were really sad and the Dolphin wasn't much in the past, but still had the train around their tree like in the past. Probably the best of all these was the Beach with their chocolate carousel and train display There just seems like a lack of the extra wreaths/lights and extra touches are not there.

I think Disney in all their recent acquisitions must have gotten the Grinch from someone :rotfl2:

Larry

Larry

I thought it was just us and our expectations. We were there from Dec 4 to the 12th and we were expecting a lot more in the way of decorations. Was really disappointed as that was the main reason we went during that time. We will stick with September!

I'll add my 2 Cents for what's it's worth. This was our first year attending at Christmas time. We were there from 10th to the 14th. I was expecting more decorations everywhere, but what they had was great. I think FW doesn't do as much because we (the campers) do it all. Very nicely, too. I loved Epcot. The countries I expected to be decorated well, were. Germany was great, Norway had the best presentation in my opinion of their tradition. Canada is our favorite in landscaping and they did a nice job with decorations. Unfortunately, we missed U.K. American had the Candlelight Processional and although we did not get seats, we did see most of it standing and it was heartwarming. Magic Kingdom was mostly Main Street so I was a little disappointed by some of the other areas, but the Castle was breathtaking. DHS was all Osborne for me. I had tears in my eyes. We spent over an hour just wondering around. The night we went was chilly which made it more fun. All in all we had a great time, but I don't think I would stay there again. We will do Osborne every year.

I'm glad to see it's not just me who thought there were less decorations at the parks and resorts. I thought I was losing my sense of "holiday magic" - but it's not me, it's Disney.

The neighborhoods in my area are less decorated this year, too. But of course with 1.5 million people in Florida unemployed this year - it's all about the day-to-day survival, and not spending unnecessary $$ on electric bills. Yep - you read that right - 1.5 MILLION unemployed in Florida, alone. That figure was quoted on the news last night. :sad2:

We are just back from our trip, and i agree they did less decorating this year. Main Street still looked great, but the individual lands were barely decorated. I didn't notice it until I looked around Fantasyland and realized that most of the garlands I remembered from years past were not up.
They had the carols playing everywhere though, so it still felt very Christmassy to me. We saw Abigail Breslin in the CP, and she was wonderful.

I bet the worst decorated Disney still beats the heck out of the 2 feet of snow we just got! :scared1: Oh man do I wish I could go this year!! :santa:

Too bad that Disney is gone GRINCH:rolleyes:

1) We had a neighborhood Christmas party Sunday with lots of CM's.
2) Many of our development folks work at WDW.
3) We had quite a conversation on the lack of decorations.
4) And, the comments were from Maintenance folks and two managers. *
5) Some of the other things discussed were also disappointing to hear.
6) But, the lack of decorations was pitiful.
7) Especially considering the amount of guest who come for the sights.

* One of the maintenance guys has over 30-yrs with the Mouse. He said that he has never seen such few decorations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter