WDW Has A Unisex Restroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go! :lmao:

I don't have kids but I'm not going to judge people on how they raise their children, and I don't think you should either. It is legal to bring a child into a bathroom that is not their gender for this reason. I've seen plenty a mom bring their little boy into the ladies restroom because they aren't comfortable sending a 4 year old into a bathroom by themselves. Just because they can use the toilet on their own doesn't mean they can go into a public bathroom on their own.

I don't have kids but I'm not going to judge people on how they raise their children, and I don't think you should either. It is legal to bring a child into a bathroom that is not their gender for this reason. I've seen plenty a mom bring their little boy into the ladies restroom because they aren't comfortable sending a 4 year old into a bathroom by themselves. Just because they can use the toilet on their own doesn't mean they can go into a public bathroom on their own.

Oh my gosh, I thought you were being funny. You were being serious? "Because of kidnappers." Wow.

I don't expect you to incorporate actual facts into your considered opinion, but I do have to point out that the sentence bolded above is an absolutely ridiculous sentence. There are no laws (federal or state) about how old people can be to use gender-specific bathrooms. Rules or regulations about age and bathroom use can be set by private companies (such as health clubs or restaurants or theme parks). They are pretty rare. Most people assume that the social contract (i.e. considering the common good, not just one's one desires) is sufficient to keep bathroom visitation appropriate.

Oh my gosh, I thought you were being funny. You were being serious? "Because of kidnappers." Wow.

I don't expect you to incorporate actual facts into your considered opinion, but I do have to point out that the sentence bolded above is an absolutely ridiculous sentence. There are no laws (federal or state) about how old people can be to use gender-specific bathrooms. Rules or regulations about age and bathroom use can be set by private companies (such as health clubs or restaurants or theme parks). They are pretty rare. Most people assume that the social contract (i.e. considering the common good, not just one's one desires) is sufficient to keep bathroom visitation appropriate.

Well, that's what I've heard. You'd have to ask the parents why they are bringing their kids of the opposite gender in. I was just responding to darnheather's complaint of the practice. She wanted to know why, and I told her the reason I've heard.

Maybe it's just the rules of the companies and not a law, but it's not like it really is "anybody's allowed" or else there wouldn't be lawsuits when transgender persons aren't allowed to use the restroom of their choosing. I've heard of people getting arrested or cited when using the bathroom intended for the opposite sex.

LOL, welcome to our world! :rotfl:

The reason I would like unisex bathrooms as a woman is that I (usually) won't have to 1) put the seat down or 2) wipe the spots off before sitting down!

But womans bathrooms are often dirtier then mens!

There's this article.

Honestly, I don't see why other people should care. If someone doesn't like the idea of a unisex/family/companion restroom, they don't have to go in it. Plus, the presence of one means it's less likely for someone of the opposite gender to be in the single-sex bathroom.

But womans bathrooms are often dirtier then mens!

Not having been in many men's rooms, I couldn't say.

But as long as I can sit down without having to mop up someone else's dribbles, I see that as a better deal.

Honestly, I don't see why other people should care. If someone doesn't like the idea of a unisex/family/companion restroom, they don't have to go in it. Plus, the presence of one means it's less likely for someone of the opposite gender to be in the single-sex bathroom.

I don't think it's that people don't like the idea of a family/unisex/companion bathroom. I think it's the fact that this topic is like beating a dead horse, and I don't think that the two sides will ever see eye to eye. There will always be parents who feel that it is their "right" to take their entire family into the C.A.R. since it's the only "Family bathroom" type facility in the park and it doesn't matter what they're doing in there (toileting, diaper changes, costume/clothing changes, fearing allowing their 10 year old to go alone, etc).

There will also always be the people who say you should *NEVER* use a C.A.R. unless you are a person with a disability who has a genuine need for that facility because there are so few of them available.

And then there's the 3rd group who says be considerate. If there's nobody waiting and it's just a quick in-and-out #1 trip, go for it. Anything longer and find a standard restroom.

The fact is that there are a limited number of companion restrooms that used to ONLY be marked on the WDW map for guests with disabilities (they were not marked on the regular park maps) and the Disney website makes it fairly clear that these were not intended for parents who fear allowing their child into the restroom unaccompanied.

"Restrooms are available throughout the Walt Disney World Resort.
Companion – assisted restroom facilities are available in addition to facilities designed for access by Guests with mobility disabilities."

When looking at a list of C.A.R.'s you will see that there are 6 in the MK, 7 in Epcot, 5 in DHS, and 5 at AK. Compare that to the literal HUNDREDS of standard stalls available in the regular bathrooms.

A bit of common sense and decency goes a long way

Except they are very limited and priority should be given to people who need assistance using the facilities.

They are not dressing rooms, "I'm scared to let my 10 year old child into the opposite sex bathrooms" bathrooms, or "I got soaked on a water ride room.

Ummm, mothers taking a young boy to the wash room, as well as fathers taking a young daughter to one will beg to differ here. Look at it as the young child needs assistance.

Unisex restrooms and companion assisted restrooms are the same??? I'm unable to follow this thread.

For the record, I don't have a problem with a parent + child using the companion assisted restroom. I personally don't "need" to use the companion assisted restroom so it's not an issue with me. Is it an issue with those folks that "need" a companion assisted restroom?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Unisex restrooms and companion assisted restrooms are the same??? I'm unable to follow this thread.

For the record, I don't have a problem with a parent + child using the companion assisted restroom. I personally don't "need" to use the companion assisted restroom so it's not an issue with me. Is it an issue with those folks that "need" a companion assisted restroom?

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but there were times on our last trip with my dad that he needed my mom to help him transfer on and off the commode. There were times where we had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the restroom because someone who had a legitimate need was using it. I can't imagine how long that wait would be if people who didn't have the need for such a facility started using them for the convenience of a "family bathroom"

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but there were times on our last trip with my dad that he needed my mom to help him transfer on and off the commode. There were times where we had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the restroom because someone who had a legitimate need was using it. I can't imagine how long that wait would be if people who didn't have the need for such a facility started using them for the convenience of a "family bathroom"

Completely understand!

Are the restrooms in France unisex or companion? Where I'm from there's a difference. The OP called them unisex.

Please tell me what sort of "assistance" a neurotypical, able-bodied child who has reached the average age of puberty would need in the restroom....

http://www.m.webmd.com/children/news/20121020/earlier-puberty-age-9-10-average-us-boy

Parents consider puberty begins age 12, middle school age, regardless of what webmd said.

When referencing a 'young child' it is to mean a child of primary grade or younger.

Of course, guests who need assistance should always be given first priority.

For the record, I have a child on the spectrum who needs supervision and help in the restroom, even at home. We have a legitimate need. Although, I doubt the average onlooker can tell. If DH is not there, it's off to a family or companion restroom we go. If he's having a great day, DH can usually handle him in a regular restroom. If he's having a bad day, he cannot. I hate to think of how it is going to be when he hits puberty and starts growing up and getting stronger around the ages of 12-15 (my kids arent experiencing early puberty like so many). Sometimes his brothers will take him in, but they can't handle it outside a one stall restroom.

ETA (this section): if DH is not with me, it means I have my toddler in tow and I can't supervise/help with the duo. And, of course, if it is ME that has to go, neither can be left unattended and both cannot fit in the stall with me. Sometimes, my older ones can watch one or the other (on a good day), but usually not both (and never on a bad day).

Anyhow...

No, I have no problem with others using the restroom. (1) I may think they are able bodied and are not. (2) If they are able bodied, then usually they will be quick. My personal theory is that having special needs only gets us the companion restroom ahead of those waiting in line and not the restroom laying in wait, unused, until we get there. It's a great big world, and we all need to be tolerant of each other. We should also consider social maturity.

Parents consider puberty begins age 12, middle school age, regardless of what webmd said.

When referencing a 'young child' it is to mean a child of primary grade or younger.

Due to the obesity crisis in America (and the effect of unopposed hormones produced by excess fat), children *are* starting puberty at younger and younger ages. It's no longer one of those "middle school things" and it absolutely should be a consideration for parents for a myriad of reasons beyond "should I take my child into the restroom with me".

I have no issue with parents bringing their *young* children into the restrooms with them. But once a child is old enough to understand social safety and attend to their hygiene needs, the bathroom corresponding to their gender is the one that is most appropriate for them.

I prefer these types of restrooms. Nice and roomy and private. :)

stargazertechie; "Restrooms are available throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Companion – assisted restroom facilities are available in addition to facilities designed for access by Guests with mobility disabilities." When looking at a list of C.A.R.'s you will see that there are 6 in the MK said:

Except they are very limited and priority should be given to people who need assistance using the facilities.

They are not dressing rooms, "I'm scared to let my 10 year old child into the opposite sex bathrooms" bathrooms, or "I got soaked on a water ride room.

I agree. There should definitely be bathroom police at Disney World.

These restrooms are for everyone. Not just handicapped. If they excluded non disable there would be a sign saying handicapped ONLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter