WDW fans, will I enjoy DL?

I grew up at and with Disneyland! And love it! :)

My first visit to WDW was in 1981 when MK was the only park. And I was a bit disappointed in MK, after so many years at Disneyland! It seemed almost two-dimensional rather than three-dimensional. The ride facades were flat and mostly painted murals. While I loved my short (three-day) visit to WDW overall, MK seriously was lacking when compared to Disneyland! *LOL* Thankfully, MK has been refurbished since that time.

As others have mentioned, if you visit DL/CA with an open mind and experience the parks for what they are, you will have a wonderful time. Disneyland is a more intimate and detailed park than most of WDW. You'll undoubted prefer some things at WDW and others at DL/CA. It doesn't make one resort less than the other--just different! :)

Keep in mind that Disneyland/CA draw a lot of locals, particularly on weekends and holidays--and that includes summer vacation time! While people from all over the country and world visit DL/CA, is still is more a local destination than a total holiday destination, which is what WDW is.

I love both DL/CA and WDW for different reasons. Some day, I would like to take the time to stay at a DL/CA resort for two or three nights just to enjoy the parks a bit more leisurely than usual (stayed one night at GC in 2006), but I love WDW as a complete destination vacation. No need to drive! :)

We really like the time right after spring break season but before the summer crowds. Last week of April into the first couple of days of May or so have always worked great for us crowd and weather wise.

We went to DLR for the first time in 2008. My DH fell in love with it and we returned in 2009, thanks to his enthusiasm. WDW is still my favorite, but I appreciate why he loves it: it has more magic because it is smaller and quainter (not prehistoric by ANY means!). The special charm of DLR has to be seen to be understood. It is simpler too: no need to book restaurants 180 days in advance or risk being shut out. You want to parkhop? Cross the plaza! His complaint about the World is that he comes home more tired than when he left, but DLR was truly relaxing for us. The Grand Californian felt more deluxe to us than any WDW hotel too (little stuff like robes for even non-CL guests).

We are firmly bi-coastal in our Disney allegiances from now on.

I was very disappointed when I went to DL, although you still have the disney magic, it is small in comparison. Seems like you get so much more for you money at DW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter