WDW fans now DLR fans... again!

soaringirl

Mouseketeer
Visited from April 30th through May 5th, my family: DS10, DD12, DH and 1 MIL.
We stayed at a kids suite at HoJo.
This was our 2nd visit to SoCal, and since the 1st we became in love with DLR, but it was really this 2nd visit for us to finally be able to say we're also DLR fans :cloud9:. I have to admit that during the planning process, I was missing WDW so much I was a little bit regretful not going there. But I didn't miss it one bit during my trip, it was so much fun!! Disneyland is such a pretty, amazing, fun park, that I don't understand how can someone miss another one. Not even Epcot, my once-favorite-now-second-place park. Even DCA, with all the boarding walls, was fun and pretty enjoyable, can't wait to see how it will look on June 15th (at least in pictures!).
Magic Moments:
There is always one moment when the Disney magic works. For us, it was thrice:
1) My MIL was feeling ill :sick: and worried about her high-blood pressure (she forgot her pressure-thingy -sorry forgot the word- at home) and stay at the hotel room the first part of our 1st day. DH was very worried, so we took her to the First Aid to measure her blood pressure, it was high but no so much (she had medicine with her, so it was OK). The nurse was so helpful and giving us a lot of information, DH ask her if he owns her something and of course she said "Oh, nothing! It's on the mouse". :wizard:
2) After Jungle Cruise, we bought some fruit to breakfast, and I was eating a delicious pineaple when (after I ate 2 thirds of it) I dropped it. I was mad at myself because I was enjoying it so much, but what can one do? So I shrugged, and suddenly a CM appear in front of me with a brand new pinneaple. "I saw you dropped yours and brought you a new one". He was like 50ft away!! I was so, so grateful! :wizard:
3) In the Soundsational Parade, I was sitting in the curve when the Peter Pan float arrived, suddenly, Peter sat next to me for a few seconds!! It was so so great!!! :wizard:
Magic moments like that are what is Disney is for. Even so my MIL had to be pushed in a WC (DH is very strong, so he did it effortless) and was very tired all the time, we had a wonderful time. With 4 days, I though we were going to be able to accomplished everything, but it wasn't enough!! We did get to see World of Color. Amazing!! DH (who's usually very cool) was very impressed since minute one. We did follow Hidroguy's advice and arrive on time, and even so a large line was already there. But we went to the Wet Zone and had an excellent view. BTW, the coffee cart next to it.. don't go! the coffee is really, really bad and really, really expensive.
Two surprises (food wise) for us were Naples and Jolly Holliday Bakery. Naples was really good, and we had an excellent waiter, David. JHB is soo beautiful! and the food was so so good we ended here several times. DS10 wanted nothing but the cheese sandwich and tomato soup combo. Also, just sitting there and watching the life goes by, is priceless.
Rainforest Cafe and Cheesecake Factory were also very good experiences, everybody loved their food and service was right on.
Mimi's: we ate lunch one day, ordered food to go another, and had breakfast there. I didn't enjoy my lunch or the turkey dinner, but loved, loved their breakfast, it was actually much better (and cheaper) than La Brea's, which was also good but not as good.
HoJo: The kids suite was perfect for our family of 5, and we slept comfortably. The hotel is clean and well mantained, but there were 3 aspects I didn't enjoy: 1) The laundry is located in the basement, very poor choice indeed, it looked like a 1-star facility, terrible! 2) the bathrooms are very basic, and after staying at the Homewood Suites in San Diego, they paled in comparision. 3) The pool. For the 1st time ever, my kids disliked the pool. The waterpark was ok for 5 minutes, but maybe they're now too old for that. The worst thing really was the main pool. You know when you're swimming that sometimes, and against your will, you swallow some water? Well, it tasted salty. Salty! I really don't want to think why. DS10 stated his disgust without me saying anything, and didn't return. Wasn't too bad now that I think about it, we could enjoy the parks without kids shouting that all they wanted to do was hit the pool! :laughing:
The walk by itself wasn't bad at all, I even thought it was kind of crazy comparing all the hotels, they all seemed pretty close to me. What I didn't like were the characters hanging around the street. Didn't fell unsafe at anytime, but we only walked the Disney side in the mornings, and the other side when returning.
There's so much to tell but I don't know how, I'm not a writer like some people here that are so good! But just wanted to share my experiences.

Sounds like a fun trip.

I've never stayed there, but I imagine the pool was probably a salt-water pool rather than anything gross. I'm sure someone else on here knows for sure.

Glad you and your family had a good time. :)

Great feedback OP, so happy your trip turned out to be fun.

Jack

Thanks! Yes it was an amazing trip, and we combined it with San Diego, so we had city, museums, parks (nature), oceanic views, seals, and Mickey Mouse!

btw, my family suffer a little bit with my military plan.. I wanted everyone to be on park opening at 9am every day, and never happened!! I was going crazy!!! MIL told me that I'm a perfectionist... well, I want to enjoy every minute of my trip! "We didn't come here to watch TV or sleep... COME ON!!!!"
But when I crossed those turnstiles, I relaxed and let the Disney-Zen part of me out.

btw, my family suffer a little bit with my military plan.. I wanted everyone to be on park opening at 9am every day, and never happened!! I was going crazy!!! MIL told me that I'm a perfectionist... well, I want to enjoy every minute of my trip! "We didn't come here to watch TV or sleep... COME ON!!!!"
But when I crossed those turnstiles, I relaxed and let the Disney-Zen part of me out.

I hear your pain. I'm a morning person and a commando but my partner is neither (and it turns out our grandkids are not morning people either). Our compromise is that we tend to alternate between early and late mornings (depending on how late the previous night has been). Sometimes scheduling a breakfast at Plaza Inn can be a motivator.

The problem is, it's not.

Glad the OP had a good trip.

#2 problem, that's what happens when things trail off at the end of the trip.

I'm pretty sure it is a salt water pool--I was there at the same time

CM are so awesome and little acts of kindness like your pineapple situation and the nurses station just keep reminding us of that! :)

Thanks for the awesome post! Loved reading it!

CM are so awesome and little acts of kindness like your pineapple situation and the nurses station just keep reminding us of that! :)

Thanks for the awesome post! Loved reading it!
They really worked hard, I totally forgot about noting their names and send a thank you letter to Guest Services. I've got nothing but great experiences in DLr and WDW. :cloud9:

Thank you all for reading! :yay:

We were WDW vets who fell hard for Disneyland. We consider it our "home park" now. Nothing beats it for sure!

This photo shows that the 1st day wasn't crowded at all.. of course, it was at MM opening:
SoCal_253.jpg

Pooh was all alone!
SoCal_374.jpg

Really, not that crowded:
SoCal_426.jpg

Chlorine is sodium chloride = salt. So even if it isn't technically a salt water pool it could possibly taste salty. Also often baking soda is used to help control the pH = salty taste. Many places are turning to salt water chlorine generators which require actual salt in the water to generate the chlorine. The salt required for that is less salty than tears - but still tastes salty at time. I love my salt water chlorine generator.

thanks for the clarification! puts my mind at ease... still, it was odd to taste it (couldn't help it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter