WDW end of June vs. mid/end August?

Hopeful8

Mouseketeer
What are your thoughts on WDW at the end of June vs mid/end of August. The crowds, the heat?? Never thought I'd be thinking of returning (we did our "one and only" trip in April/May) but the kids enjoyed it so much that we are contemplating returning next year for a few days and then head to Siesta Key for our beach vacation. Thinking of either missing the last couple days of school (to avoid the July long weekend crowds) or mid/end August to have something fun to look forward to during the summer.

End of Aug will be much less crowded. Most Southern US states are out of school by late May and go back first of Aug. The week before Labour Day is one of the quietest of the year.

We just came back from being there last week. Crowds were moderate but the heat was horrendous. We were all kind of miserable. We didn't want to watch parades or look at anything outside, we just wanted to get to the a/c at our next destination. And the storms put a wrench in our fast passes a few days since they close outdoor rides in lightning. I would go end of June in your position. But don't go over July 4 because crowds are insane.

End of Aug will be much less crowded. Most Southern US states are out of school by late May and go back first of Aug. The week before Labour Day is one of the quietest of the year.

A friend of mine went in September and said the crowds were minimal. So appealing!

We just came back from being there last week. Crowds were moderate but the heat was horrendous. We were all kind of miserable. We didn't want to watch parades or look at anything outside, we just wanted to get to the a/c at our next destination. And the storms put a wrench in our fast passes a few days since they close outdoor rides in lightning. I would go end of June in your position. But don't go over July 4 because crowds are insane.

Oh wow, that sounds so uncomfortable! We went end April and I found some days so gross and sweaty, not sure I would do well in August.

I see I have a lot more thinking to do! Thanks for your input.

Oh wow, that sounds so uncomfortable! We went end April and I found some days so gross and sweaty, not sure I would do well in August.

I see I have a lot more thinking to do! Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

Yes I mean at 8am within 2 minutes of being outside you were drenched in sweat. I felt dirty the entire trip. I thought I was prepared and could handle the heat and humidity but it really bothered me. My DH did better and DD never complained but my mom and I were miserable. I mean we still had fun and loved it but never again in August.

We are here right now, yes it is hot and humid, but actually no worse than hot and humid in Toronto. We are here 10 days so taking it slow . I have booked most fast passes for evening and so far have not been rained out, only first night did it pour all evening and that was not a park night.

Once the sun goes down it is beautiful. Love coming back and swimming at 10:00.

We are staying on the free dining, did book table service dinners for each day and have cancelled most as it too hot to eat, so that would bother me if payed for the dining plan.

Parks have been not terribly busy but all rides have at least a 30 minute wait and popular ones at least 60.

June will be just as hot but more crowded. I can deal with heat or crowds, not both. We were there this week last year and especially in the evenings almost everything was walk ons.

June will be just as hot but more crowded. I can deal with heat or crowds, not both. We were there this week last year and especially in the evenings almost everything was walk ons.

That is great to know! I just found out that one of my neighbours is there now so hope to ask her what her thoughts were in terms of the heat & crowds.

Appreciate everyone's input!

I see I have a lot more thinking to do! Thanks for your input.

Yes I mean at 8am within 2 minutes of being outside you were drenched in sweat. I felt dirty the entire trip. I thought I was prepared and could handle the heat and humidity but it really bothered me. My DH did better and DD never complained but my mom and I were miserable. I mean we still had fun and loved it but never again in August.[/QUOTE]

We were the same way. We went for 4 days in August 2012, and swore never again. Our 4th day in Animal Kingdom we felt SO gross and stinky/sweaty - and couldn't tell if it was us or those around us. And we had to toss a few of our outfits - the smell never washed out completely for me. And the torrential downpour every afternoon was hard to deal with as well.

May was fantastic, and still cool in the evenings some nights, so I imagine June might not be too bad. But we didn't hesitate to pull kids from school and we had full support for our Grade 7 DS. Our Grade 11 DD had most teachers with no issues, just her gym teacher had issues because DD would be missing the hands on weight room session. She really gave DD a hard time - asked her to work out on our vacation (we took photos of her at a hotel gym on the drive down).

Sorry - got off track there!! But my entire family agrees - never again in August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter