WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guidebook is great. I am very impressed...they even put in a visual schedule!!! I may use that one this trip instead of one I make!

Disney has done a great job clearing up some things, I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared. With that said, I can't find info on one thing that I have been wondering about.
I have read rumors that if the wait time for a certain line is short enough, you will be waved on through instead of given a return time, however I have heard anything from 10-30 minutes on this rumor, depending on which site it's on. If a wait time is 15 min or below we would go ahead and get in the standby line anyway instead of using the DAS, since DS can handle short waits, especially if he has his stroller. However, if the wait was over that, we would probably need to use the DAS. Has anyone heard what the "true" time would be for this case??

Also, I just want to thank EVERYONE on this board for all the info and help. I know I have been stressed over this change, I can only imagine what you all have went through trying to sort out all this mess. :hug: THANKS!!

I agree that it will not be a difficult change as we may have thought. I would also like to know this info about wait times.

And, yes, what a fantastic job the mods have done!! thank you for organizing it for us!

Thank you so much this is great. I must admit I have a hard time believing story about people paying someone with a disability to use their GAC! However I see people parking in handicapped spaces who are not handicapped everyday!!!
There were 2 reasons for the change.
One was just too many users as one article that was posted earlier mentioned.
The other was abuse; not just tour guides, but also people without disabilities getting a GAC by saying they had a disability and people usify the GAC for rides the person with a disability was not going on.
Disney has done a great job clearing up some things, I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared. With that said, I can't find info on one thing that I have been wondering about.
I have read rumors that if the wait time for a certain line is short enough, you will be waved on through instead of given a return time, however I have heard anything from 10-30 minutes on this rumor, depending on which site it's on. If a wait time is 15 min or below we would go ahead and get in the standby line anyway instead of using the DAS, since DS can handle short waits, especially if he has his stroller. However, if the wait was over that, we would probably need to use the DAS. Has anyone heard what the "true" time would be for this case??

Also, I just want to thank EVERYONE on this board for all the info and help. I know I have been stressed over this change, I can only imagine what you all have went through trying to sort out all this mess. :hug: THANKS!!
I don't have confirmation, but my best guess is 15-20 minutes.

I have 2 reasons for that:
1) when they actually used to explain to guests how to use a GAC, they said to use the regular line if the wait was 15-20 minutes for lines without Fastpass.

2) that is how I have heard other parks do it. For example, Universal allows people with their version of a disability card to use the Express Pass Line if the wait in the regular line is 15-20 minutes.
If that is the wait, the guest would probably be waiting almost the same time, whichever line they were in.

Well, I guess 3 reasons.
3) it would make much sense to give out a DAS wait time for that short a time in the future.

Will DAS return times are available for all attractions not just attractions with FP?
I do not have confirmation of that either, but at WDW, most attractions are in process of adding Fastpass + so soon, almost everything will have Fastpass at WDW.

I do not have confirmation of that either, but at WDW, most attractions are in process of adding Fastpass + so soon, almost everything will have Fastpass at WDW.

Thank you Sue for all the information you have provided! I admit to being very worried about this change but with all this new official information on DAS and cognitive disabilities from Disney I am thinking with a little more planning effort on our part we can make this work new system work for our family. We are looking forward to hearing some first hand reports as the DAS is implemented next week. Please know that your work Sue is VERY VERY appreciated.

Thank you Sue for all the information you have provided! I admit to being very worried about this change but with all this new official information on DAS and cognitive disabilities from Disney I am thinking with a little more planning effort on our part we can make this work new system work for our family. We are looking forward to hearing some first hand reports as the DAS is implemented next week. Please know that your work Sue is VERY VERY appreciated.
You're welcome! :goodvibes

I know how worried everyone was and wanted to help alleviate that.
I will need to update the first post of this and the DL thread, but today I am working on other things I put off while I was working on this....

my fairy costume needs updating before we go to MNSSHP

I'm really worried about the changes, so much so that I am seriously not sure that disney will be on our agenda ever again. I have a son with autism and he is also in a pediatric wheelchair so we deal with both the visible and non visible disabilities so it all seems very confusing to me. Has anyone heard of how they might be able to help at disney world if there is only one adult alone with a child? For example I would have to go to the ride he wanted to ride to ask for a return time, however because it is only myself and my son when we travel it is impossible to send someone without him , and he is simply not going to understand the concept of "not now later" ( we have gone to attractions that were broken when we showed up to ride and the meltdown that followed resulted in us leaving the parks every time). Is there another place to get a time for a ride aside from at the ride itself? ( I know in Disneyland there is? But I haven't heard of this being an option in disney world) thank you for the information provided, it is nice to have the facts even if the facts mean disney isn't an option for us anymore.

SueM in MN said:
There were 2 reasons for the change.
One was just too many users as one article that was posted earlier mentioned.
The other was abuse; not just tour guides, but also people without disabilities getting a GAC by saying they had a disability and people usify the GAC for rides the person with a disability was not going on.

I don't have confirmation, but my best guess is 15-20 minutes.

I have 2 reasons for that:
1) when they actually used to explain to guests how to use a GAC, they said to use the regular line if the wait was 15-20 minutes for lines without Fastpass.

2) that is how I have heard other parks do it. For example, Universal allows people with their version of a disability card to use the Express Pass Line if the wait in the regular line is 15-20 minutes.
If that is the wait, the guest would probably be waiting almost the same time, whichever line they were in.

Well, I guess 3 reasons.
3) it would make much sense to give out a DAS wait time for that short a time in the future.
Bolding is mine.....
I find this statement interesting. I have been using a GAC since 2003 (I feel fairly certain that is the year I received my first one). But I do know that I have NEVER been told to use the standby line based on wait times....NEVER....Not by any CM at GS! Now I am not saying that they don't advise guests of this, but it is not something I have Ever been told to do in any of the times I have picked up my GAC. But also I can't even tell you the last time I was asked any questions. I would always hand over a copy of my old GAC, my photo ID, my AP and just ask for a replacement. I was never asked as to what my needs were for years now. They would just reissue me a new GAC with the same two stamps that my expired one had! That's been my experience! I'm sure other people's experiences have varied! :)

Bolding is mine.....
I find this statement interesting. I have been using a GAC since 2003 (I feel fairly certain that is the year I received my first one). But I do know that I have NEVER been told to use the standby line based on wait times....NEVER....Not by any CM at GS! Now I am not saying that they don't advise guests of this, but it is not something I have Ever been told to do in any of the times I have picked up my GAC. But also I can't even tell you the last time I was asked any questions. I would always hand over a copy of my old GAC, my photo ID, my AP and just ask for a replacement. I was never asked as to what my needs were for years now. They would just reissue me a new GAC with the same two stamps that my expired one had! That's been my experience! I'm sure other people's experiences have varied! :)
We first got a GAC for DD in 2000 and have gone to WDW twice a year since then.

Sometimes the CMs in Guest Relations asked a lot of questions, sometimes they did not.
Sometimes, they explained how it was used, other times not.
We always went with DD, with her old GAC and with APs, so we were the same, it was the CMs that acted differently.

I have never said my family's experience was the only way things happen (although other posters have been asked and had things explained each time).
The point of my posting is so people know it could happen and are prepared to answer questions about their needs if they are asked.
Most people prefer to be prepared and not be asked instead of being surprised by being asked when they didn't expect to.

If I can just ask one thing... When your speaking to the cast members about this new program. Try to remember that they are not the ones making these changes and cannot change or fix the program themselves. They are also people who have some of the same challenges that you do and it's one of the reasons they work for the company. Just asking for a little courtesy towards the people in those departments as they are just relaying information that has been given to them.

If I can just ask one thing... When your speaking to the cast members about this new program. Try to remember that they are not the ones making these changes and cannot change or fix the program themselves. They are also people who have some of the same challenges that you do and it's one of the reasons they work for the company. Just asking for a little courtesy towards the people in those departments as they are just relaying information that has been given to them.

Yes!

Agree.

And, they are learning the new system too.

We first got a GAC for DD in 2000 and have gone to WDW twice a year since then.

Sometimes the CMs in Guest Relations asked a lot of questions, sometimes they did not.
Sometimes, they explained how it was used, other times not.
We always went with DD, with her old GAC and with APs, so we were the same, it was the CMs that acted differently.

I have never said my family's experience was the only way things happen (although other posters have been asked and had things explained each time).
The point of my posting is so people know it could happen and are prepared to answer questions about their needs if they are asked.
Most people prefer to be prepared and not be asked instead of being surprised by being asked when they didn't expect to.

bolding is mine...
And I didn't say or imply that it was. My point was that I found it incredibly interesting that with the number of GACs that I have gotten over the years that not once ever was this brought to my attention by a CM at GS! One would think that in ten years I would have had at least ONE CM say something to me! :confused3 I mean I got what? 6 of them this year alone??!! LOL! Maybe more when they started cutting them back to 2 weeks... I am just surprised!

I'm really worried about the changes, so much so that I am seriously not sure that disney will be on our agenda ever again. I have a son with autism and he is also in a pediatric wheelchair so we deal with both the visible and non visible disabilities so it all seems very confusing to me. Has anyone heard of how they might be able to help at disney world if there is only one adult alone with a child? For example I would have to go to the ride he wanted to ride to ask for a return time, however because it is only myself and my son when we travel it is impossible to send someone without him , and he is simply not going to understand the concept of "not now later" ( we have gone to attractions that were broken when we showed up to ride and the meltdown that followed resulted in us leaving the parks every time). Is there another place to get a time for a ride aside from at the ride itself? ( I know in Disneyland there is? But I haven't heard of this being an option in disney world) thank you for the information provided, it is nice to have the facts even if the facts mean disney isn't an option for us anymore.

I do not have an answer, but I was also wondering, because I was very much hoping that Disney World would keep the kiosks, but also allow people to go to the rides themselves.

I often tour parks solo, in a manual wheelchair, but limited energy. In fact, following the ASL interpreters, never even transferring, for 8 hours in DisneyLAND requires me to take a 90 minute nap in First Aid (in fact, most nurses know my name and when I am showing up by now!) If I want to ride BTMRR, and I am really anywhere else in the park, I am going to be very frustrated if I need to wheel all the way over, up the hill, get a Return Time, go elsewhere (body cannot handle heat/sun, and there is nowhere to hide over there), then wheel BACK over.

All of the things above still are hard if someone is pushing me.

I was hoping that there would be a few kiosks (seriously, 3 or 4 in each park would be more than sufficient, if you can also get them at the attractions themselves).

Hoping to hear from others on this one. As we know, this is ever evolving. So, to the person I quoted in this post, please write to Disney about this (I believe there is an email option at the bottom of the Disney World webpage). I will do so as well.

I think if Disney hears that their decision to go from kiosk to attraction affects more than one disability "group," they will consider it further. Every time I have heard the purpose of the kiosk described, it was the situation you described above. But this decision affects more than just single parents of autistic kids. It can affect many situations - including yours and mine (Animal Kingdom is really big, and having to go to every attraction simply means I will do FOTLK and Everest and that's it).

Speaking of which - has anyone heard what the DAS could mean, if anything, for scheduled shows, like FOTLK which only has 4 or 5 shows a day? Perhaps that they have a certain number of Return Times for the next show, because it is suggested people get to that show especially an hour or more before - in a very hot, crowded line... It may be the DAS is not applicable at all for scheduled shows, which is also understandable (I can see many difficulties here). I just had not seen anything about scheduled shows specifically.

I do not have an answer, but I was also wondering, because I was very much hoping that Disney World would keep the kiosks, but also allow people to go to the rides themselves.

I often tour parks solo, in a manual wheelchair, but limited energy. In fact, following the ASL interpreters, never even transferring, for 8 hours in DisneyLAND requires me to take a 90 minute nap in First Aid (in fact, most nurses know my name and when I am showing up by now!) If I want to ride BTMRR, and I am really anywhere else in the park, I am going to be very frustrated if I need to wheel all the way over, up the hill, get a Return Time, go elsewhere (body cannot handle heat/sun, and there is nowhere to hide over there), then wheel BACK over.

All of the things above still are hard if someone is pushing me.

I was hoping that there would be a few kiosks (seriously, 3 or 4 in each park would be more than sufficient, if you can also get them at the attractions themselves).

Hoping to hear from others on this one. As we know, this is ever evolving. So, to the person I quoted in this post, please write to Disney about this (I believe there is an email option at the bottom of the Disney World webpage). I will do so as well.

I think if Disney hears that their decision to go from kiosk to attraction affects more than one disability "group," they will consider it further. Every time I have heard the purpose of the kiosk described, it was the situation you described above. But this decision affects more than just single parents of autistic kids. It can affect many situations - including yours and mine (Animal Kingdom is really big, and having to go to every attraction simply means I will do FOTLK and Everest and that's it).

Speaking of which - has anyone heard what the DAS could mean, if anything, for scheduled shows, like FOTLK which only has 4 or 5 shows a day? Perhaps that they have a certain number of Return Times for the next show, because it is suggested people get to that show especially an hour or more before - in a very hot, crowded line... It may be the DAS is not applicable at all for scheduled shows, which is also understandable (I can see many difficulties here). I just had not seen anything about scheduled shows specifically.

Disney world has been putting kiosk for fast pass plus so you can check your reservations and think make change but not sure. So they could set it up that it now when you tap a das it will show that screen or when you use your magic band or ticket it will show that screen. So I wouldn't worry about them taking away the kiosk .

They should have a main one in center of the park or where it easier for guest then have some around the park to check to see if time went down make new one stuff like that. So your not going to each attraction. I also think if they made you go to each attraction it wouldn't last to long after a couple of busy days Disney would have to change it.

I have a question that I cannot find an answer to. I have MS and my husband has severe arthritis. Both of us have tried using wheelchairs and EVC's in the past but truth is sitting for long periods makes it harder to walk, not easier. The only accommodations we need are to avoid steps (truly impossible). Mainly this occurs in MK and of course Toy Story. Are we going to be able to receive DAS cards for this purpose?

I was in MK last Friday for the Halloween party and went to Guest Services to get a GAC. The CM told me he was unable to give me a GAC for that purpose. I ended up asking for a supervisor who did indeed issue a GAC to avoid the steps especially for Splash Mountain, our favorite ride, but impossible without using the alternative entrance. The original CM at guest services told me to just tell the CM at the ride we needed to use an alternative entrance. Since I actually tried that on occasion when the line at Guest Services was very long and was told I had to have a GAC I know that even under the old system that is impossible.

I realize that our disabilities are mild compared to others but we visit about 4 times a years and this will definitely curb our visits if we cannot bypass steps. We have a 18 day trip in our RV scheduled for December and I am wondering how to proceed.

Edited to add that I do use a cane but having a walking device is not proof of needing an accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter