WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
?...and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place.

I don't recall that Disney ever claimed that DAS is foolproof. The biggest abusers of the old GAC were, sadly, family members of legitimate card holders. In a typical scenario a family would get a GAC for Grandpa, and the grand kids would then use it as an instant Fast Pass for the rest of the day while running through the parks from ride to ride without Grandpa. That abuse has been stopped.

And it is now much more difficult for an able-bodied individual to simply lie about a hidden non-mobility disability. The Guest Relations CMs are asking hard questions and no longer have to give in to apparent falsehoods.

As for the news reports of disabled persons hiring themselves out to get a GAC, I suspect that such occurrences were extremely rare, if they happened at all.

Finally, is it likely that a CM will know the initials of the others working at the attraction that day? Yes, it is. I'm a CM at Animal Kingdom, and I always know who I am working with. There are also backup measures ready to be put in place, such as colored inks and code words that can be used instead of initials.

Cheaters beware. Expulsion from the parks is now a very real possibility.

Just wanted to pop in and give an update. We just left the World this morning after five days with the new DAS. Got it to help with my bathroom issues due to Crohn's Disease. Went to GR in Epcot and received the card without hassle. There's a learning curve for guests and CMs (one stumbling block for CMs seems to be which CM crosses out the attraction -- the one at the FP+ entrance or the CM at the inside FP+ check point.)

The card worked exactly as advertised and on an evening that was especially rough for me, my DH was able to get the return times for me and then we'd go to ride the ride together (less running around for me that way). Overall, using a combo of DAS and FP+ worked pretty well, though (admittedly) our fall trips are less ride-focused than trips during other times during the year. I'm eager to see how the new system works when we're less distracted by F&W, MNSSHP, etc.

And it is now much more difficult for an able-bodied individual to simply lie about a hidden non-mobility disability. The Guest Relations CMs are asking hard questions and no longer have to give in to apparent falsehoods.

Can you explain this in more detail? Is it just that the questions are something that would mess up a person faking it? How does that work with kids?

Finally, is it likely that a CM will know the initials of the others working at the attraction that day? Yes, it is. I'm a CM at Animal Kingdom, and I always know who I am working with. There are also backup measures ready to be put in place, such as colored inks and code words that can be used instead of initials.

I thought they were already using the code words. Even that wouldn't work though, once you know it, you could rewrite it yourself. Special inks would probably be the best way to go.

DAS is no GAC, but after kicking the tires of the new program last week through all four parks with my special needs son it isn't as horrendous as I feared. One tip that can't be emphasized enough -- if it hasn't here already -- is that DAS works like GAC when the park's about to close. In our case, we went to Toy Story Mania at 8:20pm when the park was set to close at 8:30pm, and even though the wait was 120 minutes (which would have resulted in a 110 minute wait on the pass) they let us go right into the Fastpass entrance.

Disney realizes that there's no point in having a family linger around a closed park waiting for a ride. Obviously there's so much you can do with that, but if you have ONE ride that you REALLY want to get on save it for near the end of the day.

Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place. I posted a more thorough review here.

As posted by SueM, the main reason the GAC policy has been revamped to the DAS was the sheer numbers of legitimate GAC users. The attractions were not designed to handle the number of people requesting alternate access. She even shows photos of the queues, and links to articles.

Forgot to add in my previous post that some people are saying that ride CMs are asking so many questions, that guests are having to share their children's condition in order to get a return time. If that's the case, then we should have been able to do that along wit the GAC which would have helped to eliminate the problem- if there really was a problem at WDW.
I can promise that if we encounter this from any CMs on our trip, I'm reporting them both to Guest Services and to the government agency dealing with the ADA.

Forgot to add in my previous post that some people are saying that ride CMs are asking so many questions, that guests are having to share their children's condition in order to get a return time. If that's the case, then we should have been able to do that along wit the GAC which would have helped to eliminate the problem- if there really was a problem at WDW.
I can promise that if we encounter this from any CMs on our trip, I'm reporting them both to Guest Services and to the government agency dealing with the ADA.

If the child has a DAS, the CMs at the ride shouldn't be asking anything at all - they should simply issue the return time and move on.

Used DAS this past week. Beyond the first CM at guest services who issued the card, NOBODY else asked me any questions.

If the child has a DAS, the CMs at the ride shouldn't be asking anything at all - they should simply issue the return time and move on.
If anyone has a DAS, CM should just be issuing a return time. Guest Services has determined that DAS is appropriate CM should only giving a return time and then at the return time assuring that the person with the DAS is riding. Period.
I really have a big problem with general CM deciding what accommodation I can and cannot have. To often they make assumptions that are invalid and refuse to accommodate because of these assumptions.

If anyone has a DAS, CM should just be issuing a return time. Guest Services has determined that DAS is appropriate CM should only giving a return time and then at the return time assuring that the person with the DAS is riding. Period.
I really have a big problem with general CM deciding what accommodation I can and cannot have. To often they make assumptions that are invalid and refuse to accommodate because of these assumptions.

Talking Hands, with all due respect, just because I don't name out every possible age or disability group doesn't mean that I'm saying any group should be subject to a separate standard. The post I was replying to had to do with children, so that's what I referred to in my post.

People are getting so up in arms over this I am seriously debating on even trying to get a DAS. I already here everyday that I am "lucky" my son isn't "that" Autistic (sensory, spacial, and speech issues). Now it seems like in gonna get the same response at Disney, either from CMs or guests that want to play the who's disability is worse game :/ I'm feeling very overwhelmed and hoping for a few positive reviews before our December trip.

What they should be doing and what they are doing are 2 different things.

I haven't seen any posts about this so I'm assuming they're very few and far between. I'd also wager that it's largely a matter of interpretation, mostly because it doesn't make any sense for them to do that. Emotions are pretty high in the parks over this.

People are getting so up in arms over this I am seriously debating on even trying to get a DAS. I already here everyday that I am "lucky" my son isn't "that" Autistic (sensory, spacial, and speech issues). Now it seems like in gonna get the same response at Disney, either from CMs or guests that want to play the who's disability is worse game :/ I'm feeling very overwhelmed and hoping for a few positive reviews before our December trip.
You know, maybe just step away until the dust settles. So often people only complain. By the time people get accustomed to it the complaints should ease and more people can tell of actual experiences.

Not meaning anything but to be helpful. Chances are it will only be stressful until that happens.

Hugs to you.:hug:

My overall experience was very positive. Got my DAS pretty painlessly. The CM at guest services was very sweet and explained the program well.

We were able to use the DAS in unison with FP- to maximize the 3 to 4 hours that we typically last at a park.

The one park we had difficulty with was DHS, but I really feel that if I had FP+, we would have managed that park more easily.:thumbsup2

Just wanted to pop in and give an update. We just left the World this morning after five days with the new DAS. Got it to help with my bathroom issues due to Crohn's Disease. Went to GR in Epcot and received the card without hassle. There's a learning curve for guests and CMs (one stumbling block for CMs seems to be which CM crosses out the attraction -- the one at the FP+ entrance or the CM at the inside FP+ check point.) The card worked exactly as advertised and on an evening that was especially rough for me, my DH was able to get the return times for me and then we'd go to ride the ride together (less running around for me that way). Overall, using a combo of DAS and FP+ worked pretty well, though (admittedly) our fall trips are less ride-focused than trips during other times during the year. I'm eager to see how the new system works when we're less distracted by F&W, MNSSHP, etc.

Thx for your report on how the new system is working! I'm hoping my DH can do the same for me (running around while I do my pain pump dose or have to wait because I'm in too much pain)

This is the 1st time I will have to use this system. Last time I was in much better condition than this! A w/c was enough.

Do I just go to GR & ask specifically for the DAS & explain my needs or explain my needs 1st & see what CM says?

Hope you had a great trip!!

Thx for your report on how the new system is working! I'm hoping my DH can do the same for me (running around while I do my pain pump dose or have to wait because I'm in too much pain)

This is the 1st time I will have to use this system. Last time I was in much better condition than this! A w/c was enough.

Do I just go to GR & ask specifically for the DAS & explain my needs or explain my needs 1st & see what CM says?

Hope you had a great trip!!

I did start the conversation with GS CM by introducing my DS, and explaining some of his issues, I then stated...

"In the past we had a GAC with the Alternate Entrance Stamp to minimize exacerbation of his issues, I understand that there is a new program....."

I then let the CM speak.

The Guest Relations CMs are asking hard questions and no longer have to give in to apparent falsehoods.

This was not my experience at all. Since the DAS is pretty standard -- unlike the GAC that came in different flavors and required delving deeper into the exact needs that were required -- we didn't even have to begin to dive into the situation. Before we even began to explain the CM was already snapping my son's photo with her tablet.

I wish there would be a way to crack down on the cheating, but this isn't going to cut it. Even the code words and knowing what other cast members are on duty isn't going to cut it, since someone can just cross it off and duplicate it right below it with an earlier return time. That loophole will go away when these kiosks supposedly go online.

And, Robbi, my experience had zero questions from the CMs. We used it nearly a dozen times through our four-park run last week and they never asked. The one thing that I would say is that more than half of them did open up the folded DAS to see the photo to make sure it matched the kid going on the ride. In the old days I think it was closer to 20% of the time when they would see the name and do the "so who is XXX" check.

Rick

DAS is no GAC, but after kicking the tires of the new program last week through all four parks with my special needs son it isn't as horrendous as I feared. One tip that can't be emphasized enough -- if it hasn't here already -- is that DAS works like GAC when the park's about to close. In our case, we went to Toy Story Mania at 8:20pm when the park was set to close at 8:30pm, and even though the wait was 120 minutes (which would have resulted in a 110 minute wait on the pass) they let us go right into the Fastpass entrance.

Disney realizes that there's no point in having a family linger around a closed park waiting for a ride. Obviously there's so much you can do with that, but if you have ONE ride that you REALLY want to get on save it for near the end of the day.

Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place. .

Thanks for the reviews. I need a "rose colored glasses" smiley, I think. Or one with "NAIVE" in bright neon! It is upsetting that the DAS system could or would be abused as per your two examples. Each time I hear of this abhorrent abuse I am stunned all over again. I can't wrap my head around extending anything but love and compassion to the differently-abled/disabled.

I'm glad to hear you were let into line just prior to closing. I had read a report of a person using the DAS system being turned away. Since anyone can join the standby queue as long as it is before closing, this was strange to me. Sounds like the CM at that ride handled it the way I understand it is to be handled. I hope we hear this being universally enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter