WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am already getting nervous about my trip to Florida in January, but it sounds like the system is starting to get better and the CMs are getting the hang of it. I will be interested to see which attractions require a "wheelchair return ticket" as i get closer, since that can change between now and then.

I have a DAS in DL, but WDW is a whole different beast. Luckily I am much more interested in shows than attractions, and I will have my family to act as runners to get DAS times and FP times.

It may be in the thread, but I can't find it - what attractions have the wheelchair return time tickets now? I assume most are in MK, with a couple in Epcot.

Also, it has been made clear about the DAS but not the WC return times - has anyone been allowed to send a runner to get a time in WDW, provided of course a person with a visible cue (like my wheelchair) shows up when it is time to ride? That is still up in the air here in DL, but some attractions are allowing runners, if only because there can be up to 13 attractions in the park that require the WC return tickets. I expect there to be different experiences, I am just looking to see what the WDW general rule has been.

I am already getting nervous about my trip to Florida in January, but it sounds like the system is starting to get better and the CMs are getting the hang of it. I will be interested to see which attractions require a "wheelchair return ticket" as i get closer, since that can change between now and then.

I have a DAS in DL, but WDW is a whole different beast. Luckily I am much more interested in shows than attractions, and I will have my family to act as runners to get DAS times and FP times.

It may be in the thread, but I can't find it - what attractions have the wheelchair return time tickets now? I assume most are in MK, with a couple in Epcot.

Also, it has been made clear about the DAS but not the WC return times - has anyone been allowed to send a runner to get a time in WDW, provided of course a person with a visible cue (like my wheelchair) shows up when it is time to ride? That is still up in the air here in DL, but some attractions are allowing runners, if only because there can be up to 13 attractions in the park that require the WC return tickets. I expect there to be different experiences, I am just looking to see what the WDW general rule has been.

You bring up something interesting. I've been the runner for my son, and the cm wrote the time on his card. I never thought to mention at the attraction that he's using a w/c. We are going to the MK tomorrow, so I'll see what I can find out.

Yesterday my son got his DAS renewed at Epcot. The process was smooth going. The cm only question asked if it was ok to take his picture. It took only a minute or two.

The line getting into Guest Services was a different thing. The line was huge. When we arrived to the park around 4:30-4:45 it was out the door and slow moving. I had someone standing there for him, but that person said it was too hot out in the sun to stay and she was feeling lightheaded. So we went and got a bite to eat. Still long after that, so we visited the Festival Center. It was still lined up out the door just after 7pm, but shorter than before and much cooler outside so we got in line.

Forgot to add in my previous post that some people are saying that ride CMs are asking so many questions, that guests are having to share their children's condition in order to get a return time. If that's the case, then we should have been able to do that along wit the GAC which would have helped to eliminate the problem- if there really was a problem at WDW.
I can promise that if we encounter this from any CMs on our trip, I'm reporting them both to Guest Services and to the government agency dealing with the ADA.
Your post is the first I have heard of anyone reporting lots of questions to get a return time. And the DIS site is not the only place I am reading.
I have read many places where people have said the opposite - that they were (appropriately ) asked questions at a Guest Relations to get the DAS, but not any when getting a Return Time.

That said, I can see some times when it might be appropriate for a CM to ask about the person's needs before entering a return time.
The biggest one would be if the current wait time is short and the person still wants to get a Return Time. The CM might ask some questions to find out if the person really wants to get a Return Time or could use the Standard queue.
There are situations where the standard queue might be appropriate for some people if the wait is short, but not if they have to wait in that spot a longer time. My guess would be if anyone is being asked, that would be the main reason.

An example from the past.
My family was going on Mission Space, green side, which had a posted wait time of 10 minutes. We got into the regular line (it is accessible and DD Is in a wheelchair).
We basically moved as fast as we could walk/roll until we go to the area where they start assigning limited numbers of people to go to the next station. There was a woman using an ECV ahead of us in that line.
She turned around, told us we should not be needing to wait in long lines and showed us her GAC (which had a wheelchair stamp - meaning she could use the wheelchair lend, which she already could with her ECV).
Anyway, she advised us to get one, said she used it at every attraction and that it saved her a lot of time.

We ran into her again many times during that day and several days after in different parks. Most of the times we were in the same attraction in line. She made several comments like "glad to see you got a GAC....really helps a lot....didn't have to wait for this one" and some thumbs up when she was farther away.
But, the thing is, DD had a GAC, but we didn't actually use it any of the times she saw us. We knew what the wait time was and used the regular line. She wasn't even looking at the standby time and was just showing the GAC each time she entered a line. SHE THOUGHT that the reason she was getting in quickly was her GAC, but she actually was getting in quickly because the wait was short.

That guest we saw would not be getting a DAS unless she had more needs than were met just with the ECV in line . But, if she did have one and was asking for DAS Return Times for those same attractions, with minimal waits, I could see the CM issuing return times suggesting using the regular line and asking some questions if the guest still said she wanted a return time.

Forgot to add in my previous post that some people are saying that ride CMs are asking so many questions, that guests are having to share their children's condition in order to get a return time. If that's the case, then we should have been able to do that along wit the GAC which would have helped to eliminate the problem- if there really was a problem at WDW.
I can promise that if we encounter this from any CMs on our trip, I'm reporting them both to Guest Services and to the government agency dealing with the ADA.

No CM asked us any questions at all. They were courteous and kind. I found the experience surprisingly pleasant, but then I didn't go in with a huge sense of entitlement and a chip on my shoulder both barrels loaded and aimed at Disney.

Did they put the photo on the DAS card?

Yes the photo is printed on the DAS

Photos from wdwnt.com

ence-015.jpg

IMG_8003-1024x768.jpeg

Oh ok whats wrong with this picture? They will put a photo on a DAS card but are too cheap to put them on AP's? Come on now Disney. Seems like everything else has your photo on it. Licenses, health insurance cards, credit cards, heck probably even library cards.

Oh ok whats wrong with this picture? They will put a photo on a DAS card but are too cheap to put them on AP's? Come on now Disney. Seems like everything else has your photo on it. Licenses, health insurance cards, credit cards, heck probably even library cards.

Well, they just started the photos. Maybe APs will be next.

Hi this will be our 5th trip to disney since our son was diagnosed with ADHD. Two years ago we had the gac and it did help us tremendously. He has difficult inn standing on any type of lines without getting stressed...even when we food shop. It becomes so hard to keep him from becoming handsy with me . Not hitting but pulling and touching. Unfortunately I have lupus and I have joint issues.
Here's my question...since the new das has been implemented I was wondering if I should request the pass. Although my lupus is controlled either steroids the gac helped us both. There is no need for the both of us getting a card since we go on the same rides. We are leaving next Wednesday and staying until the following Tuesday so the parks aren't yo busy. We pulled him out of school to help with the crowd levels.
Any information is appreciated.

People don't fake APs.

Hi this will be our 5th trip to disney since our son was diagnosed with ADHD. Two years ago we had the gac and it did help us tremendously. He has difficult inn standing on any type of lines without getting stressed...even when we food shop. It becomes so hard to keep him from becoming handsy with me . Not hitting but pulling and touching. Unfortunately I have lupus and I have joint issues.
Here's my question...since the new das has been implemented I was wondering if I should request the pass. Although my lupus is controlled either steroids the gac helped us both. There is no need for the both of us getting a card since we go on the same rides. We are leaving next Wednesday and staying until the following Tuesday so the parks aren't yo busy. We pulled him out of school to help with the crowd levels.
Any information is appreciated.

If he isn't able to stand in lines, the DAS sounds perfect for him. You can get a return time, and wait outside of the line until your return time.

NYDisneyKid said:

Of every card I have, the ONLY one that has my picture is my Driver's License!! My health ins card does NOT have our pictures on it. As a matter of fact, they don't even use our social sec #"s! They don't want them, they don't want to be responsible for them being stolen, if records are compromised!
And between DH and I we have over a dozen CC and NOT one has a picture on it.
Our library doesn't do pictures either. So I have to disagree with your comment about 'everything else having your photo on it'. I would not agree to having my photo on all those things! My choice...

NYDisneyKid said:

With the finger print scans, there's no need for a picture on the APs, as none can just say here use my AP.

But with the GACs, people who weren't riding were handing their passes off to someone else in their party and saying, here use my GAC. I know this did happen, as 8 have seen it happen in front of me. The record was 5 parties in line with me where the GAC holder didn't ride. This probably added 30 minutes to the wait alone, so the pictures were very much needed.

If he isn't able to stand in lines, the DAS sounds perfect for him. You can get a return time, and wait outside of the line until your return time.

1) Just remember, it is vastly different from GAC.
2) It does not grant access categorically.
3) You are pre-assigned times to report for the ride/attraction.
4) Without the assigned times, you must
. . . wait in line, or
. . . use normal Fast Pass
5) You cannot
. . . go repeatedly on same ride any longer
. . . go on a ride then go onto the next ride immediately

Of every card I have, the ONLY one that has my picture is my Driver's License!! My health ins card does NOT have our pictures on it. As a matter of fact, they don't even use our social sec #"s! They don't want them, they don't want to be responsible for them being stolen, if records are compromised!
And between DH and I we have over a dozen CC and NOT one has a picture on it.
Our library doesn't do pictures either. So I have to disagree with your comment about 'everything else having your photo on it'. I would not agree to having my photo on all those things! My choice...

Did you not see the word "seems" in my post? Without the word "seems" then yes I could see you disagreeing with my comment. I said seems like everything, not everything has a photo.

And a little 411,,,My # health insurance and # credit cards BOTH have my photo. (and even though the CC's have my photo I still write "see ID" on them instead of my signature)

1) Just remember, it is vastly different from GAC.
2) It does not grant access categorically.
3) You are pre-assigned times to report for the ride/attraction.
4) Without the assigned times, you must
. . . wait in line, or
. . . use normal Fast Pass
5) You cannot
. . . go repeatedly on same ride any longer
. . . go on a ride then go onto the next ride immediately

:thumbsup2

Picked up DAS last night at MK for immune-compromised FIL. First we purchased tickets through guest services, then I explained (in maybe 3 sentences) who needed assistance and what kind. She offered the advice that it would help him avoid standing with the crowd, but that he would need a wheelchair for fatigue. After that she was out to take his photo a minute later - smooth sailing overall :)

With the finger print scans, there's no need for a picture on the APs, as none can just say here use my AP.

But with the GACs, people who weren't riding were handing their passes off to someone else in their party and saying, here use my GAC. I know this did happen, as 8 have seen it happen in front of me. The record was 5 parties in line with me where the GAC holder didn't ride. This probably added 30 minutes to the wait alone, so the pictures were very much needed.

We used to have photos on our APs, at Disney as well as Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter