WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, am I misreading this pic? Because it looks to me like the CMs are cutting 10 minutes off the wait time of the attraction in calculation of the return time? Was that expected?
I think it I assumed that usually there is a wait in the fp line also. So the guess of the amt of time to the end point.

So, am I misreading this pic? Because it looks to me like the CMs are cutting 10 minutes off the wait time of the attraction in calculation of the return time? Was that expected?

Yes I think it would always said that it would be wait time -10 to take into account getting the return time and any wait at the alternate entrance.

Isn't it against the law to ask for a diagnosis?

Yes, it is. Disney World (I have not had a report of this at DL) is going to have a MAJOR problem on its hands. It IS illegal to pick a diagnosis. It IS illegal to deny someone based only on them NOT having a specific diagnosis.

This is NOT what the system is supposed to be, and it is unacceptable for ANY CM to be saying this. What I find disturbing is that we are having multiple reports from multiple parks. I am very much hoping someone manages to speak to one of those management people who are supposedly going to be around.

I very much hope things improve there!

Yes, it is. Disney World (I have not had a report of this at DL) is going to have a MAJOR problem on its hands. It IS illegal to pick a diagnosis. It IS illegal to deny someone based only on them NOT having a specific diagnosis.

This is NOT what the system is supposed to be, and it is unacceptable for ANY CM to be saying this. What I find disturbing is that we are having multiple reports from multiple parks. I am very much hoping someone manages to speak to one of those management people who are supposedly going to be around.

From the sound of things, Disney has no choice but to improve the issue! They are asking for trouble... Hope everyone there now in the confusion who needs assistance eventually manages to get it.

This is what concerns me. CM making blanket statements like that when they see my wheelchair when there are invisible disabilities as well. See wheelchair , don't need accommodation.

Yes, that is my concern as well. In fact, it is common for CMs to argue with me in the past, even talking over what I was saying about my concerns with the park, stating "but you have a wheelchair."

I am going to DL tomorrow (not WDW til Jan), and if I have such a problem, I have no problem sitting there in City Hall taking up quite a bit of room until I speak to a lead and if need be, a manager. I have many of the same conditions as the person earlier who was told "no autism, no DAS" and I would need to go and get my AP refunded and stop going to Disney. Because I live in Southern California and then developed a condition where my body cannot tolerate heat (that is ok, it cannot tolerate cold either).

I am hoping WDW gets this straightened out fast.

I've been following the posts but one thing I'm not seeing....how is stroller as wheelchair being handled?

My DS is NT and in the past we always just used FP for our family as needed...didn't even know about FOTL access and never needed it. Will our old sticker on the stroller still be ok? Or will we have to get the DAS card? Due to muscle tone, muscle weakness, core and ligament issues standing and stamina are problematic for him. I need to be able to push him through The Land and have him sit during pre-shows, per his PT.

Does anyone know what the changes might mean for us? Are they still doing the red stickers?
That is covered in more detail in post one

You will need a new sticker for this trip. If having the stroller meets his needs, he will get a sticker only - no DAS.

I think it I assumed that usually there is a wait in the fp line also. So the guess of the amt of time to the end point.

Yes, and I actually expect them to up the deduction to 15min or more during busy times when the FP line could be 20min long. Making someone stand in a long FP line after already waiting the standby time would mean a lot of extra waiting.

We do not know the needs of that person though, so they could have got the card because of autism. The problem is Disney shouldn't be asking at all.

Your right they shouldn't be asking I just pointing out that other parks seems to be giving them out without problem.

I hope that Disney going to autism speaks and other groups getting help didn't make them forget other disabilities.

We do not know the needs of that person though, so they could have got the card because of autism. The problem is Disney shouldn't be asking at all.

I'm sure disney has consulted with a barrage of attorneys. Maybe there are loopholes we don't know about.

Just came back from Hollywood Studios. Here are some quick notes about the new system. We got the card for our son who has a non-visable disability.

- No line at guest relations. We were there at 8:35am.

- Total time to get new card was about 12 min.

- We were told to come back to guest relations if we found that the new system did not make for an enjoyable day. They would see about accommodating us differently. We did not go back.

- We were asked if our son has Autism. We were never asked about specific diagnosis in the past.

- We were not allowed to get return time for Disney Jr LIVE.

- Takes 1 - 2 min to get a return time because of how long it takes to fill out.

- You can only get a return time for lines over a 10 min wait.

Do you know how tall/wide the card is? I want to make sure I bring a wallet that will hold it nicely :)

Do we know how much past the return time they write down we can arrive and still be allowed to do the attraction?

Do we know how much past the return time they write down we can arrive and still be allowed to do the attraction?

I believe it is good for the date issued until it is redeemed. You just cannot get another return time until it is used. You are also allowed to cross it out yourselves if you have changed your mind.

It is on the Disney FAQ, which has a link posted somewhere on here, but to sum it up:
You can go anytime after your return time, but by all accounts, you cannot get another return time until you have gone.

I am assuming that they have a mechanism in place for if the ride is broken at your return time, so that you can get another, but I don't know that part.

I have reported this over the phone to someone who is managing this transition and she was appalled, to say the least.

If this continues to happen, please make sure that you report it. Reporting on here is nice, but please make sure you email Disney about it as well. Both to the email about this system and their general email at the bottom of the website.

I'm waiting to hear of other people's experiences, reading these posts today have made me nervous and I'm really hoping it's just a transition issue and it gets solved. Autism is by no means the only disability in the world.
I suffered an accident years ago that left me with many neurological issues. I can be standing or sitting down for long periods of time, otherwise I start having pain and I get very weak. I walk with a limp but I don't use a wheelchair. I've been using the Gac for many years and it has helped me and my family tremendously. On top of these I have two small children that I have to take care of and I can physically endure long waits in a queue while watching over them. I don't have a problem waiting in another area, but cannot be 45 mins in a queue, or I'll pass out. I really hope they get their stuff straighten out soon.

I'm waiting to hear of other people's experiences, reading these posts today have made me nervous and I'm really hoping it's just a transition issue and it gets solved. Autism is by no means the only disability in the world.
I suffered an accident years ago that left me with many neurological issues. I can be standing or sitting down for long periods of time, otherwise I start having pain and I get very weak. I walk with a limp but I don't use a wheelchair. I've been using the Gac for many years and it has helped me and my family tremendously. On top of these I have two small children that I have to take care of and I can physically endure long waits in a queue while watching over them. I don't have a problem waiting in another area, but cannot be 45 mins in a queue, or I'll pass out. I really hope they get their stuff straighten out soon.

These sound similar to all my problems aside from I have decided to a wheelchair to WDW, but that alone dosent stop me from suffering extreme pain if sat or stood in a line. There are a thousand different disabilities at there WDW will need to address...

Yes, and I actually expect them to up the deduction to 15min or more during busy times when the FP line could be 20min long. Making someone stand in a long FP line after already waiting the standby time would mean a lot of extra waiting.

If you read the first line on the DAS, it states that immediate access is not to be expected on return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter