• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's about making things fair and giving equal access...and it's not fair that people with medical issues have them now is it??
I stated my opinion and am entitled to it. You don't have to agree with it, but it doesn't make me wrong. :)

This time it started because i made the simple suggestion of you can make same day changes. No saying you didn't know the system just saying you could make same day changes. That it but since you took it the wrong way we had to fight a little. I think deep down you know it unfair to extend the fast pass plus if you have a das and would lead to more abuse but don't want to admit you could be a little wrong on that.

Let me give a little more information for my situation. I don't normally advertise this as I don't think it should matter, but this may shed some light. As states previously, I will be travelling with hubby, my 6 kids, and also my MIL. 4 of my younger children all have special needs. Yes, I see some of you rolling your eyes, but let me explain. We are adoptive parents and foster parents to children who are challenged. The children in our care have been with us since they were toddlers, or even younger.
We stay off site because of cost and space. This will be the first time in 4 yrs that we are taking everyone at once, because it can be difficult at times. I'm wondering if calling the number given in the stickie might help us with out unique situation. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Let me give a little more information for my situation. I don't normally advertise this as I don't think it should matter, but this may shed some light. As states previously, I will be travelling with hubby, my 6 kids, and also my MIL. 4 of my younger children all have special needs. Yes, I see some of you rolling your eyes, but let me explain. We are adoptive parents and foster parents to children who are challenged. The children in our care have been with us since they were toddlers, or even younger.
We stay off site because of cost and space. This will be the first time in 4 yrs that we are taking everyone at once, because it can be difficult at times. I'm wondering if calling the number given in the stickie might help us with out unique situation. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I called the number yesterday and the lady was less than helpful. I am going to try again today and see if I get better help. Basically, she said they can not answer anything, I need to go in person to guest relations.

I'm not sure how they could not foresee this happening, I overheard a 5 year (or so) old ask their mom what would prevent this from happening and I can't believe that a 5 year old is smarter than all of the Disney executives, lawyers, etc. combined.

Even for those of us trying to work within the rules, we have had occasion to both have gotten a return time when one came into the park later than the other, not knowing the other one had gotten one already. We simply didn't use my return time, but I could easily see how this could be abused if someone were to try abusing the system.

I am honestly not sure how tying the QR Codes to a pass will prevent this. For example, there are many times that DW (who needs a DAS for her own needs) goes without me and many times that I (who also need a DAS) go without her or that one of us will want to ride something that the other doesn't. So, you can't say that there can only be one DAS per party. But then how do you prevent both from getting a return time when both that have a DAS are riding while not stopping both from getting return times when both are not riding the same attraction? For example, I want to go on Space Mountain and DW wants to go on Star Tours. I don't want to do Star Tours and she doesn't want to do Space Mountain. So, we would each get a return time for each attraction.

But if we both wanted to do both attraction, there is nothing that would currently stop us from getting return times for both attractions. This obviously is not in line with the spirit of these new cards. But how do you prevent this without preventing the above scenario.

Some will say you would need to divide your group into two cards, but this doesn't work, because if you have a party of 6, there may be times where 4 will want to ride one ride and two another. Then others where it would be 3 and 3 or 5 and 1, etc. And this may not always involve both people with the DAS, so that doesn't work.

Then the fact that they are valid for two weeks at a time means that many people's party size will vary throughout the two weeks. This is more at DL than at WDW, due to the nature of who tends to visit the parks, but it is still an issue. And yes, sometimes that group will include multiple people who need a DAS. In our case, there is the potential that we would have 5 people who all truly NEED a DAS, for varying reasons. And in all of these cases, these people would all show up at different times and would also be going on other days that the others would not. If 5 people in one party needing a DAS seems like a large number, it's not at DL. Keep in mind that many people at DL meet in line while waiting for attractions and end up becoming friends. In this case, since we all had GACs or the equivalent of the time, it's natural that we would have multiple people that have need of a DAS and yet not all show up all of the time, as we would be waiting together, which means that we would naturally meet others that need assistance.

Another example is that one of the people who is frequently in our party cannot ride Tower of Terror due to her needs, but others will wish to do so, including others that need a DAS. So, how would they all go together if say their pass only was valid for 3 people and 4 of the party wished to ride. Then she wants to go on another ride with herself and another person, but couldn't if only one person could have a DAS.

So, I really don't see any way to properly control this that doesn't prevent legitimate uses of the DAS.
I don't mean to say that they could not forsee hat some families would have more than one person with a DAS card - after all, many of those families had been issued 2 GAC cards by Guest Relations because of their needs.
I soldo don't mean to say they could not forsee that dome of those people would ride different attractions or both have return times for different attractions.
Or, inadvertently make 2 return times.

I think they were prepared for people who did NOT need a DAS, but would try yo get one.
The part I don't think they forsaw was people with disabilities would knowingly and purposely circumvent the program (or downright lie or cheat).

If they tied the DAS card to your party, it would affect us on many trips. Our recent trip was 2 weeks and for the first week, we had one family with us and the second part, we had another. We frequently go with different people. Last Spring, it was my BIL, SIL and MIL. This Spring, we are hoping to have my mom, my sister and my niece.
So, yes, it would directly affect my family if they tie people together.

At WDW, we were using Magicbsnds and had FP + for many attractions. When we made the FP+ 'appointments' our whole party was on 'Family & Friends' grouping. So we were able to choose the whole party for that particular FP+ experience! or just a few. The ones who didn't go on that, could have their own different FP+ times (and sometimes did).
When guests use the FP+, they touch in to the Mickey icon at the attraction and it either glows green or not. The CM at the attraction can see on a screen what the issue was ( we never had an issue, but saw people who came to their FP + in the wrong order).
That type of system could work for DAS too.

I believe that is the code that is associated with the individual DAS. Nothing that the actual guest would need to be concerned with for the time being.

At least at WDW, it doesn't seem like they are doing any kind of attraction tracking. At Universal, they scan a bar code at each attraction when you ride.

At least at WDW, it doesn't seem like they are doing any kind of attraction tracking. At Universal, they scan a bar code at each attraction when you ride.

There was an article that recently came out saying that activating the electronic tracking of the QR codes would happen in 2014. So it does some like that's in the works.

SueM in MN said:
I don't mean to say that they could not forsee hat some families would have more than one person with a DAS card - after all, many of those families had been issued 2 GAC cards by Guest Relations because of their needs.
I soldo don't mean to say they could not forsee that dome of those people would ride different attractions or both have return times for different attractions.
Or, inadvertently make 2 return times.

I think they were prepared for people who did NOT need a DAS, but would try yo get one.
The part I don't think they forsaw was people with disabilities would knowingly and purposely circumvent the program (or downright lie or cheat).

If they tied the DAS card to your party, it would affect us on many trips. Our recent trip was 2 weeks and for the first week, we had one family with us and the second part, we had another. We frequently go with different people. Last Spring, it was my BIL, SIL and MIL. This Spring, we are hoping to have my mom, my sister and my niece.
So, yes, it would directly affect my family if they tie people together.

At WDW, we were using Magicbsnds and had FP + for many attractions. When we made the FP+ 'appointments' our whole party was on 'Family & Friends' grouping. So we were able to choose the whole party for that particular FP+ experience! or just a few. The ones who didn't go on that, could have their own different FP+ times (and sometimes did).
When guests use the FP+, they touch in to the Mickey icon at the attraction and it either glows green or not. The CM at the attraction can see on a screen what the issue was ( we never had an issue, but saw people who came to their FP + in the wrong order).
That type of system could work for DAS too.

But my point is the 5 year old could foresee that people would lie to accomplish this, so I don't understand why Disney couldn't.

Like I said, I have no answers to this that wouldn't prevent legitimate uses of the DAS and if they did that, then it wouldn't provide equal access.

disney david said:
This time it started because i made the simple suggestion of you can make same day changes. No saying you didn't know the system just saying you could make same day changes. That it but since you took it the wrong way we had to fight a little. I think deep down you know it unfair to extend the fast pass plus if you have a das and would lead to more abuse but don't want to admit you could be a little wrong on that.

Actually, I don't think I am wrong....IMO I think it would be a Very Reasonable Accommodation!!
Again you are entitled to your opinion and I, to mine. They will never have a system that if someone "wants" to "cheat it or abuse it", can't be done uless they require medical documentation...and we both know that's not going to happen.
I plan to write my 'suggestion' to a few people via email. We will see what "they" think of the idea.

disney david said:
Actually what they could do is ask you to certain locations to exchange a FP+ or FP time after the time has expired and track how often you are doing this on the back of the card. If you do this a couple times over the course of the time your card is valid, no big deal, but if they see you ate constantly doing it, then further investigation might be warranted.

Actually, I don't think I am wrong....IMO I think it would be a Very Reasonable Accommodation!! Again you are entitled to your opinion and I, to mine. They will never have a system that if someone "wants" to "cheat it or abuse it", can't be done uless they require medical documentation...and we both know that's not going to happen. I plan to write my 'suggestion' to a few people via email. We will see what "they" think of the idea.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but I do think whatever limit they impose would still have people unhappy and complaining about it. It's probably easier all around to keep it the same across the board since no,situation can please everyone.

Actually, I don't think I am wrong....IMO I think it would be a Very Reasonable Accommodation!!
Again you are entitled to your opinion and I, to mine. They will never have a system that if someone "wants" to "cheat it or abuse it", can't be done uless they require medical documentation...and we both know that's not going to happen.
I plan to write my 'suggestion' to a few people via email. We will see what "they" think of the idea.

I under stand what you saying and yes it not a reasonable accommodation but they don't wont do it it for able bodies guest. My point was more if bodied guest see it then they will try to get das to do it. That a good idea write them it won't hurt if they do it great then they need to be ready to prevent people from abusing it. If they don't maybe they will take it and adapt it to doing RFID.

Your 100 percent right I don't want to see them asking for medical proof. And yes their no system that abuse proof but their is ways to limit it.

Actually what they could do is ask you to certain locations to exchange a FP+ or FP time after the time has expired and track how often you are doing this on the back of the card. If you do this a couple times over the course of the time your card is valid, no big deal, but if they see you ate constantly doing it, then further investigation might be warranted.

I think once they bring in the magic bands and make it RFID at least in wdw they could track it better. And with you being able to use the fast pass plus kiosk may be they can say as long as you go 15 min before your start time they could either move it or extend it. I think their needs to be some rules to it not just extend do to a das. I think a das should be worked with wheatear it extend fast pass plus or giving you a return time that sooner and giving up the fast pass time.

Reviewed first post, but am overwhelmed by the next 1000! Can someone confirm I have this correct?

The new GAC type system gets you esentially an extra fastpass if needed, minus 10-15 minutes? You can use your entry ticketsto get another ticket.

Say TSM has a windown for dastpass districution at 5 PM and it is 10 AM. You'd like to ride twice. You use the new GAC and it will list return time of 4:45. Your regular fastpass says 5 pm. Now, you can get a new regular fastpass after like noonish when a 2 hour window expires. You can't get a new GAC type pass til you ride it at 4:45?

Reviewed first post, but am overwhelmed by the next 1000! Can someone confirm I have this correct?

The new GAC type system gets you esentially an extra fastpass if needed, minus 10-15 minutes? You can use your entry ticketsto get another ticket.

Say TSM has a windown for dastpass districution at 5 PM and it is 10 AM. You'd like to ride twice. You use the new GAC and it will list return time of 4:45. Your regular fastpass says 5 pm. Now, you can get a new regular fastpass after like noonish when a 2 hour window expires. You can't get a new GAC type pass til you ride it at 4:45?

No this is all wrong. Sorry :)

You are issued a GAC like card with blank lines on the back. You go to a ride you want to ride and look at the standby time. Say TSM says 90min wait. So they write on the first line of your card toy story mania 90min wait, come back in 75mins (they will give you an actual time to come back). When you come back in 75mins or anytime by the end of the day, they will cross it off and you will enter the FP lane. After that ride you will be able to go to another attraction and get a new time written in based off the current standby time posted at the attraction.

It has nothing to do with FP times. You cannot get a new time until you use the first time or give up the first attraction (a CM can cross it off and issue a time at a new attraction).

Not quite. With the das if the standby wait for a ride is 60 minutes you will get a return time of 45-50 minutes. When you return you will go to the fast pass return or another alternate entrance if there is no fast pass entrance. During your wait time you can wander, ride another ride with a short wait, eat etc. there is not end time for using the das. So it your suppose to return at noon and don't get back until one, that's fine but you can't get another das until you use that one or get it crossed off.
You can use it in conjunction with fp+ or fp- to ride multiple times without a wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter