WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't need to use it. We were at the parties on 10/10 and 10/11, both sold out parties, and we didn't see a wait time over 10 minutes. Anything we went on was basically a walk on. By the time you walked the queue you were boarding

Enchanted Tales with Belle would be the only one he'd be interested in. He loved it at soft opening but haven't been since. We were at the sold party on the 27th. We did tot that night. Monday will be for the parade and a m&G or two.

Enchanted Tales with Belle would be the only one he'd be interested in. He loved it at soft opening but haven't been since. We were at the sold party on the 27th. We did tot that night. Monday will be for the parade and a m&G or two.

Just checked the map to make sure that will be open for the party and it is (the heading says 2012 party, that it is the 2013 party)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/photos/mnsshp-map2.htm

The lines for attractions are usually not very long since most people are doing the party things

May I make a suggestion for the first post format? I would put the latest "updates" in a different color font (maybe red or green) so that folks can pick out the latest info quickly without having to reread the entire post.

It's a lot of information in there to sort through when you don't know what's new or what's changed.

Very interesting day yesterday at Epcot. We went to get a GAP at the guest relations area. The first person met us in line and said we would not be getting a card and to have a nice day. She did not listen to our reason for getting the pass. We were told only one person could help with getting a guest assistance pass, the supervisor Alice. We waited to talk with her and she flat told us the only people who would receive the pass needed to be autistic and children. Sure wish I had my phone on record so all the people on hear can see the truth. We were told that the fast pass could be utilized if we could not wait in line. We tried to get fast pass tickets for several rides but all the tickets were given out. We refused to allow this to effect the day and looked around the park. One our way out we decided to speak with the supervisor and let her know all the fast passes were gone for the day and we were unable to ride on the rides. A new supervisor was on shift, Shawn. Very nice young man but really left to deal with a ugly mob scene at Guest Relations. I asked if only children with Autism were getting the GAP and he said no. I then asked if there was a policy written by Disney to help him decide; he said no. I asked where to find the policies for the new passes. He did not know but thought Disney world web site would be a good start.

I have spent the last two hours reading all of the post and I am really sad to see so many mean people on the boards. This should be a place to find information and help each other out, not hurt each other. Our information above is to help not harm. :wizard:

This may have been answered somewhere, but we never used a GAC to avoid wait times--- my daughter is blind and we primarily used the stamp to allow her seating where she could use her remaining residual vision to see what is going on in shows. We also have a wheelchair user, but her needs are strictly mobility related. We have two other kids with cardiac and CP needs that required stroller as wheelchair, but no modifications for wait times. My kids wait in line just fine.

Since the only two stamps we got were for seating accomodations and stroller as wheelchair, what do we do now? Do we just not bother at all with the DAS and just deal with it at the shows directly now?

I was told that if your child has a DAS card that DAS return times, FP return times, and FP+ return times would be honored even if you go back past your return time. This is to account for children who suddenly melt down and you physically can't get back at your return time or return window. Anyone heard this also? Someone I know was told this by a GS CM.

Very interesting day yesterday at Epcot. We went to get a GAP at the guest relations area. The first person met us in line and said we would not be getting a card and to have a nice day. She did not listen to our reason for getting the pass. We were told only one person could help with getting a guest assistance pass, the supervisor Alice. We waited to talk with her and she flat told us the only people who would receive the pass needed to be autistic and children. Sure wish I had my phone on record so all the people on hear can see the truth. We were told that the fast pass could be utilized if we could not wait in line. We tried to get fast pass tickets for several rides but all the tickets were given out. We refused to allow this to effect the day and looked around the park. One our way out we decided to speak with the supervisor and let her know all the fast passes were gone for the day and we were unable to ride on the rides. A new supervisor was on shift, Shawn. Very nice young man but really left to deal with a ugly mob scene at Guest Relations. I asked if only children with Autism were getting the GAP and he said no. I then asked if there was a policy written by Disney to help him decide; he said no. I asked where to find the policies for the new passes. He did not know but thought Disney world web site would be a good start.

I have spent the last two hours reading all of the post and I am really sad to see so many mean people on the boards. This should be a place to find information and help each other out, not hurt each other. Our information above is to help not harm. :wizard:

UGH!!! I am truly sorry for your experience at Epcot. :hug: It is exactly what some of us are fearful of. My daughter is a child with autism, so would fit the narrow parameters that morning crew seemed misinformed about. Honestly, I have felt some animosity within the differently-abled community regarding a perceived special treatment of people with an autism diagnosis as far as the DAS system goes, and was grateful for previous reports of DAS cards being issued based on an individual's needs. The idea that CM's and a Supervisor have it sooo wrong is disconcerting. That is more than just a "kink" to work out and I hope Disney is quickly aware in order to properly educate/train the Epcot GS CM's.

I have a question that may or may not belong on this thread, but here it goes.

At Tower of Terror, the line is not accessible with an ECV, and you have to transfer to a manual wheelchair. What happens if the person is traveling alone, and walking the line is not possible nor is pushing oneself uphill through the line? Do they just turn the person away?

I was told that if your child has a DAS card that DAS return times, FP return times, and FP+ return times would be honored even if you go back past your return time. This is to account for children who suddenly melt down and you physically can't get back at your return time or return window. Anyone heard this also? Someone I know was told this by a GS CM.

I was told DAS return times are good until you use them (adult or child).

i thought you had to say what accommodations you needed, not why you needed it? Like "I need to be able to access a restroom quickly" not "I have crohns and could have an accident in my pants".

I think privacy is something that should potentially be looked at.

Being in the medical profession, we constantly deal with Privacy issues.

I find this no different. I just think that there should be a level of privacy instead of having to state your needs (which some can be private-anxiety, bladder, bowel issues, etc) in a line with other park patrons.

Hopefully this issue can be addressed.

Just checked the map to make sure that will be open for the party and it is (the heading says 2012 party, that it is the 2013 party)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/photos/mnsshp-map2.htm

The lines for attractions are usually not very long since most people are doing the party things

We went to three parties this year.Only one sold out, and wait times for Enchanted Tales when we walked by were up to 60 minutes. Perhaps our timing was just off. But even the other parties waits were upward of 30 minutes or more. It was hit out so we opted to wait 30 minutes for Cinderella in the air conditioning. Also made more sense since the princes are there too and it's party specific.

We were told only the DAS time could be later. But maybe that changed?

I have a question that may or may not belong on this thread, but here it goes. At Tower of Terror, the line is not accessible with an ECV, and you have to transfer to a manual wheelchair. What happens if the person is traveling alone, and walking the line is not possible nor is pushing oneself uphill through the line? Do they just turn the person away?

This is a good question, this situation happened to me while I was at Disney World in August. My daughter (9) has a wheelchair which I push and my mother was in an ECV. We tried to get on Belle's Enchanted Tales and were told my mother had to transfer to a wheelchair. All well and good but who would push her? She doesn't have that kind of arm strength, especially because parts of the line are on a decline. I voiced my displeasure to the CM's wondering WHY they would build a new ride in which the ECV couldn't get through (for what it's worth, I didn't see any place where an ECV couldn't fit but that's another thread lol). I mean, this was before I knew they were changing to the new rules but doesn't it make sense all rides could fit whatever people's mobility needs are?

In the end, a Cast Member had to go through the entire experience with us. The CM's came up with that solution.

We had to do the same thing at Pirates of the Caribbean, in which the cast members were not nearly as nice as enchanted Tales, most of them were like tough noodles, you're out of luck. Then someone showed up to push my mom to the ride. After the ride was over, they left me on my own to get both wheelchairs up that little elevator. That was fun. :l

I am happy to hear someone was manning the handicap line into Guest Services at MK. That same trip in August we went up the ramp and had to wait to be acknowledged by a CM. We waited about an hour to get our pass! I've been getting the GAC pass for my daughter since her make a wish trip when she was four, so five years, and every year the line into guest services grows longer and longer. Hopefully the lines stay shorter!

At Tower of Terror, the line is not accessible with an ECV, and you have to transfer to a manual wheelchair. What happens if the person is traveling alone, and walking the line is not possible nor is pushing oneself uphill through the line? Do they just turn the person away?

This is a good question, this situation happened to me while I was at Disney World in August. My daughter (9) has a wheelchair which I push and my mother was in an ECV. We tried to get on Belle's Enchanted Tales and were told my mother had to transfer to a wheelchair. All well and good but who would push her? She doesn't have that kind of arm strength, especially because parts of the line are on a decline. I voiced my displeasure to the CM's wondering WHY they would build a new ride in which the ECV couldn't get through (for what it's worth, I didn't see any place where an ECV couldn't fit but that's another thread lol). I mean, this was before I knew they were changing to the new rules but doesn't it make sense all rides could fit whatever people's mobility needs are?

In the end, a Cast Member had to go through the entire experience with us. The CM's came up with that solution.

We had to do the same thing at Pirates of the Caribbean, in which the cast members were not nearly as nice as enchanted Tales, most of them were like tough noodles, you're out of luck. Then someone showed up to push my mom to the ride. After the ride was over, they left me on my own to get both wheelchairs up that little elevator. That was fun. :l

!

I had that attitude at Pirates of the Caribbean... I wasn't able to walk the line, was alone and the CM was unwilling to help at all... walk, don't ride or push yourself in a manual wc... she didn't care.... I didn't ride. Other times, when I felt up to the walk, I did it... but have to leave the ECV so far away from the exit!

As for Tower of Terror... (I have done this twice).. the CM at the gate directed me to go through the exit and he phoned in that he was sending me in. I had to park my ECV at the exit point of the ride and another CM came out with a manual WC and took me into where the ride loaded. I don't think this is a common practice, but it is available... or at least it was... but it was also at a slow time.

PlainJane said:

There is an alternate load area and queue through the exit, they don't like you to use it. But I know it exists because when we were there with my fault and DW had to use an ECV, none of us were physically capable of pushing her through the queue, so they directed us to it.

Just finished 3 days at WDW and used the new DAS card. DD us on the autism spectrum. We had a group of 6. It worried fantastic for us. We picked up a length if stay DAS from Epcot gs and didn't have any problems. I specifically has to tell then we needed alternative waiting arrangements and we also used a rented stroller as a wheelchair for her "safe" place. Got the red tag for the stroller even. CMs were very observant if the stroller tag and offered the alternative entrance card with a return time.We didn't hit any snags and found the CM to be very accepting and gracious about it. This was our first Disney trip since she was diagnosed.

Glad to see you had a positive experience.

Moved from DL thread - posted in error.

This may have been answered somewhere, but we never used a GAC to avoid wait times--- my daughter is blind and we primarily used the stamp to allow her seating where she could use her remaining residual vision to see what is going on in shows. We also have a wheelchair user, but her needs are strictly mobility related. We have two other kids with cardiac and CP needs that required stroller as wheelchair, but no modifications for wait times. My kids wait in line just fine.

Since the only two stamps we got were for seating accomodations and stroller as wheelchair, what do we do now? Do we just not bother at all with the DAS and just deal with it at the shows directly now?

You will not need the DAS. The stroller as a wheelchair tag is still issued but you will not need the DAS card to utilize it. Additionally for the vision issue you will ask at each attraction for special seating. Just remember to arrive early as some shows may be first come first serve as far as seating goes.

DAS return times are valid until you return to the attraction, or have it canceled and get a new attraction.

FP+ and FP- return windows are enforced and it will be up to the CM at the attraction if they choose to let you in late. Their decision is often based on operational considerations, so they may say yes or they may turn you away. If you miss your return time with FP+ you may be able to reschedule that fastpass for another attraction or another time.

I was told DAS return times are good until you use them (adult or child).

Correct :)

I am happy to hear someone was manning the handicap line into Guest Services at MK. That same trip in August we went up the ramp and had to wait to be acknowledged by a CM. We waited about an hour to get our pass! I've been getting the GAC pass for my daughter since her make a wish trip when she was four, so five years, and every year the line into guest services grows longer and longer. Hopefully the lines stay shorter!

I had that attitude at Pirates of the Caribbean... I wasn't able to walk the line, was alone and the CM was unwilling to help at all... walk, don't ride or push yourself in a manual wc... she didn't care.... I didn't ride. Other times, when I felt up to the walk, I did it... but have to leave the ECV so far away from the exit!

As for Tower of Terror... (I have done this twice).. the CM at the gate directed me to go through the exit and he phoned in that he was sending me in. I had to park my ECV at the exit point of the ride and another CM came out with a manual WC and took me into where the ride loaded. I don't think this is a common practice, but it is available... or at least it was... but it was also at a slow time.

There is an alternate load area and queue through the exit, they don't like you to use it. But I know it exists because when we were there with my fault and DW had to use an ECV, none of us were physically capable of pushing her through the queue, so they directed us to it.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing other people's experiences. While it's currently not an issue, I do get concerned for my mother, and I want to be able to provide her with advice when she needs it (I'm the family Disney expert). I'm hoping that the current mobility device and strategies she uses will continue to work for her, but I've wondered for awhile what would happen if she wanted to tour the parks alone and her mobility had become further impaired. I want her to keep being able to enjoy Disney. I had looked for the answer, but had never found it, and I'm glad I finally decided to ask.

It's a relief to know she would still be able to access one of her favorite rides. While she likes Pirates and Enchanted Tales with Belle, I know out of the three she would pick Tower of Terror. I also appreciate being alerted to other rides and attractions that also have this limitation.

I do hope it never comes to her having to use an ECV to tour the parks. Knowing her entire situation, I know that an ECV is not a good solution for her and her needs, but it's good to know that if it ever comes to that she'll be able to ride most of the rides she enjoys.

I just returned from a quick trip to Disney World, and things did not go well!
I am an adult with several invisible disabilities. My abilities vary with my current state of health.

I politely explained my needs to Guest Relations in MK and was told that I would not need a DAS. I was told to make good use of FP's and that I could just explain to cast members at each attraction what I needed. They told me to just give it a try and the CM could accommodate me.

My problems right now include doing steps, my low light vision is almost nonexistent, and a recent kidney bout requires me to head to a restroom every hour. I had asked for a return time so I could wait near to a restroom and then use it right before I get into line. Entering attractions like HM in a dark area is very difficult for me so entering at the exit and missing the stretching room:sad: is safer. And i need to avoid steps.

Mornings have been rough, so getting to the parks to get a fast pass is impossible. It seemed that by noonish the FP's were gone for the day.

We tried to do Splash Mountain as it seemed the least busy of the A ticket rides. The standby line was listed as 35 minutes but it turned out to be closer to 55 minutes. I ended up having to leave the line because I needed to use the restroom. I am somewhat embarrassed to tell that I took my little granddaughter with me to make it look like she needed to use the restroom. Taking her to the bathroom now is a whole different story as she is terrified of the autoflushing toilets, but it did make it easier to leave and then re-enter the line. I HATE doing this as I think it is rude but I was at wits end of what else to do. We got to ride but it just was not a good way to handle it. I only ended up riding one more thing as the waits were just not doable for me.

I figured I would go back to GR the next time I was going to try attractions and see if there was not a better way to handle things. We went to EPCOT the next day just to enjoy the food and drinks. We had some fantastic foods and we enjoyed the day. I never tried to do the attractions.

The next day we went to DHS as DGD wanted to meet Sofia. I went to GR outside the parks and explained that I had tried to make things work in MK and it was not good. I asked for the same things and explained that i knew that GACs were out and the new DAS was being implemented.

I was told that if I could not wait in the stand by line the entire time, that I should just leave the line, use the restroom and PUSH my way back into the line. I said that was not acceptable as it was rude and embarrassing to do that. I was told tough luck! They had no way to help me. I was upset at this point and I left the window in tears.

A kind CM at the turn style saw me crying and came over and offered me tissues. We went to meet Sofia and then went to see Little Mermaid. I told the CM at the front that i would like to sit in about the third or fourth row so I could see the show as I had vision problems. She said to tell the CM at the turnstile. I told the two CMs that were together at the turnstile. A third CM was off to their side and heard me also. They stared at me blankly and one I think mumbled OK. We continued to wait about 15 minute and right as we entered both CM's walked away and a different CM stood by the FP entrance. I do not know where the other CM went. We were moved into the large holding area full of lots of guests. We were confused as to what to do now. I looked at DD and told her well that worked well! A few minutes later the first CM from the start of the line, must have recognized our confusion and she entered the holding area and asked if I had told the other CM. I told her yes, that I told three of them. She said well that is OK! That is what I am here for. I was happy that at least she was there and was going to help me to a seat but oh no that is not what happened. She told us to follow her and then raised the volume of her voice as she pushed her way toward the front of the holding room, saying excuse me, let us through. When I realized what she was doing, I grabbed her arm and said that this was terrible and that this was no way to do this. It was embarrassing again! She pushed her way and led us up as far as she could and to a point where the people in front had no where to go. Then she said just keep to the right when the doors open and you should be able to get in the first couple rows. With that she was gone and we were surrounded by guests giving us dirty looks! I put on my dark glasses to hide my tears and when the doors opened I let my DD lead me though the crowd to a seat.

That was the end of attractions for me that day. It is just too much. I prefer keeping my problems on the down low and not interfere with those around me.

We have our big annual friends and family trip coming up soon and I am now dreading it.

Disney has been so wonderful in the past. They made huge efforts to accommodate people with all kinds of special problems and needs. That is the main reason we have vacationed there and why we bought into DVC. I am so disappointed that things went so poorly this trip.:sad1:

I need to get a letter off to someone to express my disappointment in their current system. Does any one know where I send it?

Good Morning: Sorry to hear of your recent unpleasant (to say the least) experience. This doesn't sound like Disney at all. Unfortunately, I think that with the recent discovery of ignorant people renting disabled persons to take advantage of Disney attractions, Disney has taken a tougher stance. I am wondering if you got a letter from your primary care physician stating that you have physical limitations and took it with you if that would make things easier in regards to getting the DAS help that you need. You are right, people in line get upset if they see someone else pushing their way through. I think that I would send a letter to customer relations at Disney, but I am not sure that would help. I think that I would have made a fuss at my resort guest relations and made sure that I got the help that I needed at the parks. You can always ask to speak to a supervisor until you get someone who can help you.

Sorry about you experience.

You can email Disney at disability.services@disneyparks.com about what happened to you.
If you are still there, you can ask for a Supervisor at the park. Concierge at your resort may be able to help you navigating the system, but will probably not be able to do more than that since they are not involved in the DAS program.

I small going to move this to the WDW DAS thread to keep all the experience in one place.

There will be a re-direct from this thread to that one for about one week.

Good Morning: Sorry to hear of your recent unpleasant (to say the least) experience. This doesn't sound like Disney at all. Unfortunately, I think that with the recent discovery of ignorant people renting disabled persons to take advantage of Disney attractions, Disney has taken a tougher stance. I am wondering if you got a letter from your primary care physician stating that you have physical limitations and took it with you if that would make things easier in regards to getting the DAS help that you need. You are right, people in line get upset if they see someone else pushing their way through. I think that I would send a letter to customer relations at Disney, but I am not sure that would help. I think that I would have made a fuss at my resort guest relations and made sure that I got the help that I needed at the parks. You can always ask to speak to a supervisor until you get someone who can help you.
They are not supposed to send usually will not look at letters or other 'proof'.
It was known before, but Disney did not have anything written about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs).
It is now written in their published information about DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter