WDW dining plan - your thoughts

Sugar Glider...yes I was surprised about Donald not being IN Tusker House and it was disappointing. It is a production line meet and greet.
I've become a real Donald fan *** he is sooo cute and always has great interaction.
In regard to Cape May - no the food isn't terribly exciting but it is better than Ohana. Plus as I say...the experience for us has always been great with the Characters...and the outfits are SOOOO cute...and again Donald is so much fun.
I was trying to take some photos of the restaurant and Donald nearly walked into the shot but spotted me and went tada!!!
PC223534.jpg

OMG - A Donald photobomb!! that's SOOOO cool!!:worship:

I love meeting the characters esp. Donald. Last year at Cape May I had come down with a cold at the beginning of the swine flu outbreak. Donald came around to the table and I said " Donald - you're a duck. You'd know all about bird flu. Well, I'm worried I've got swine flu" He then did this big :scared1: spun around and RAN right across the restaurant waving his arms madly in the air! So funny - such a great response :lmao:
If you are into ducks, seriously think about tokyo disney - Scrooge McDuck people!!

OMG - A Donald photobomb!! that's SOOOO cool!!:worship:

I love meeting the characters esp. Donald. Last year at Cape May I had come down with a cold at the beginning of the swine flu outbreak. Donald came around to the table and I said " Donald - you're a duck. You'd know all about bird flu. Well, I'm worried I've got swine flu" He then did this big :scared1: spun around and RAN right across the restaurant waving his arms madly in the air! So funny - such a great response :lmao:
If you are into ducks, seriously think about tokyo disney - Scrooge McDuck people!!

I actually got my photo with Scrooge McDuck in Paris :goodvibes

We too are using DDP for the first tiem on our next trip.

Our lovel tA recently booked all our ADR's

Our ADR's are
Day 1
Dinner - Artist Point as we arrive late easy to have dinner at our hotel.

Day 2
Dinner - Fultons Crab House - Loved the ambience of the old padlde boat last time.

Day 3
Lunch - Sci-Fi Theatr -My 2 DD have been bugging me for months to go to this one.
Dinner - Brown Derby (Fantasmic Package) - I Liked it last time although my DW hated it. Went for it again for the Fantasmic.

Day 4
Breakfast - Cinderella's Royal Table. How could you have DD's and not go?
Dinner - Flying Fish Cafe Went last time and food was great and service was so accomodating even though we turned up 1 hour late on Thanksgiving night.

Day 5
Dinner - California Grill in time to see wishes.

Day 6
Dinner - Ohana Last time had breakfast and it was so/so. Wanted to try the BBQ this tiem around.

Day 7
Lunch - Chef de France Love french cruisine and missed out last time. Keep threatening DD's they have to eat snails.
Dinner - Teppan Edo - Had a great time last time better when we fill the table this time.

Day 8
Dinner - Yachtsman Steak House Love my steaks and had a great meal here last time.

Day 9
Breakfast - Chef Mickeys Love Mickey Mouse and missed this one last time.
Dinner - Hoop Dee Doo Last time we did the dinner show at the Polynesian so this time we are doing Hoop Dee Doo

Day 10
Dinner - Whispering Canyon Let the kids go wild for a night.

Day 11
Dinner - We are splitting up her and I am taking DW to V&A for the night. Tried for chef's tabel but missed out so we got the Queen Vic Room. Rest of the group are heading to the Coral Reef

Day 12
Dinner - Le Cellier Could not fit it in last time so we are trying it this time around.

By the way anyone interested theplanning tool I developed is available in the tips section has an ADR planning section that not only calculates all your credits but also has links to each restaurant's menu.

Dinner - Brown Derby (Fantasmic Package) - I Liked it last time although my DW hated it. Went for it again for the Fantasmic.
Just remember you should still try and get there early if you have time because the reserved seating is far from prime seating. You are on the far side rather than in the middle. And even if you are using this you still need to be there at a reasonable time before as they will open this up to everyone if it is getting to crowded.
Day 6
Dinner - Ohana Last time had breakfast and it was so/so. Wanted to try the BBQ this tiem around.
I hope you have a better time then us. I hated the BBQ dinner. We didn't even stay for dessert and lodged a formal complaint.

Just remember you should still try and get there early if you have time because the reserved seating is far from prime seating. You are on the far side rather than in the middle. And even if you are using this you still need to be there at a reasonable time before as they will open this up to everyone if it is getting to crowded.
I hope you have a better time then us. I hated the BBQ dinner. We didn't even stay for dessert and lodged a formal complaint.

Thanks for the advice Queenie.

In your opinion does the Fantasmic package save you on waiting time compared to lining up nornally? Thing I do not like about it is the dinner time is so early.

I will cross my fingers on Ohana. We went there for a character breakfast and must admit it was not great. But the dinner BBQ looked so nice when I watched it on a show called Disney Ultimate Fan Guide of Discovery Travel.

In your opinion does the Fantasmic package save you on waiting time compared to lining up nornally? Thing I do not like about it is the dinner time is so early.

It does save you time waiting in line. That is the only advantage of the fantasmic package. I have to admit though, I am struggling with booking the Fantasmic package for this trip. The thing is we haven't ever lined up without it, so don't really know what the lines are like. But when we have done it, we actually ended up leaving the reserved seating area last time as it's off to the side and even though we have often made it to the front row and gone right over to the end where the roped off area is (which is as close to the centre as you can get to the centre in the reserved area). Because of the wind we were getting quite wet that night so we left the reserved area and went into the middle much closer to the back and still had an amazing view (and this was outside of the reserved seating area). To be honest, it isn't a huge stadium or anything and I think even if you were sitting in the back row you would still have a good view.

I have fantasmic on my list to call and make the booking but I am well inside our 180 day window now and I just haven't done it. Even last night at 9pm when I could have called and made the booking I did think, "it's 9pm, I can call now and book fantasmic" and I just didn't. I really don't feel that the reserved seating is better than the regular seating and we have to have dinner at something ridiculous like 4.30pm. So for us I am thinking that this time we may just wing it and line up for it as I would be happy even if we were sitting in the back row and we have seen the show more than once. :confused3

Oh the stress of organising Disney trip :lmao:

Originally Posted by DizOz

I will cross my fingers on Ohana. We went there for a character breakfast and must admit it was not great. But the dinner BBQ looked so nice when I watched it on a show called Disney Ultimate Fan Guide of Discovery Travel.

Having done the dining plans for the first time last year I again investigated the option of fantasmic dinner, but I still found it to be a con. In particular there are too many compromises. Firstly I would never chose the restaurants at HS for a meal over other options, secondly you are stuck with a dining time that I would never chose, and thirdly the seating is off to one side and to get a reasonable seat in the reserved section you have to get there quite early anyway. I have never had trouble getting a great seat for Fantasmic. Whilst it is true that the significant reduction in Fantasmic performances made the demand for each individual one higher last year, if at least one or two people in the party take a break from the parks one evening for a hour to 90 minutes (depending on the time of year) you should have no problem getting better seats than the reserved seating and you will probably get great seats. You can always use counter service (Fairfax Fare is my recommendation and is near the entrance) or snack credits and eat whilst seated there.

If you thought the character breakfast was not great do not expect the dinner to be better, in fact it was really only the characters that saved the breakfast. If you thought it looked so nice on TV then by all means go to the restaurant one night and look around but save your credits for one of the many other better options.

O.k all my Aussie mates....:goodvibes. Disneyworld has FREE dining atm. I just booked our accomodation at POP and got free quick services dining and if you book mod or higher you get the full dining plan with table service. I know we wont want to sit down at table service so I am happy with the free quick service;). Just thought I would let you all know in case anyone is thinking of going. The special is on until October 2nd:lovestruc:lovestruc

O.k all my Aussie mates....:goodvibes. Disneyworld has FREE dining atm. I just booked our accomodation at POP and got free quick services dining and if you book mod or higher you get the full dining plan with table service. I know we wont want to sit down at table service so I am happy with the free quick service;). Just thought I would let you all know in case anyone is thinking of going. The special is on until October 2nd:lovestruc:lovestruc

There is also another special that has been updated today. It doesn't seem to be working to book online but you can call or maybe use a TA in the USA. I'm not sure why you can't check for this online but its for 30% off Values & Mods and 40% off Deluxes & Deluxe Villas. We are going to take the % off as we are staying deluxe and that is a HUGE savings, much more of a saving than free dining for us. With both offers available it's a fantastic thing, there will be something for everybody to get great savings either with free dining OR a % off accommodation. :cool1:

http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....Code=fy10q3summerroom&market=fy10q3summerroom

I've been looking at the DDP option for our upcoming trip in Dec. For my family, (3 of us) it would cost around US$96.00 per day for the Quick service option or US$126.00 for the regular plan. I looked at what we spent on restaurant food on our last trip and worked out less than $300.00 for six days. I had water, fruit, snacks and cereal delivered to the resort so breakfast was covered most days. I think that it would cost us way more doing the DDP than we will actually spend just paying as we go. At this stage I'm looking at three or four ADRs and and the rest just counter service. We are planning 3 or 4 of our 12 days doing things outside of WDW so those days we will most likely be eating elsewhere.

I've been looking at the DDP option for our upcoming trip in Dec. For my family, (3 of us) it would cost around US$96.00 per day for the Quick service option or US$126.00 for the regular plan. I looked at what we spent on restaurant food on our last trip and worked out less than $300.00 for six days. I had water, fruit, snacks and cereal delivered to the resort so breakfast was covered most days. I think that it would cost us way more doing the DDP than we will actually spend just paying as we go. At this stage I'm looking at three or four ADRs and and the rest just counter service. We are planning 3 or 4 of our 12 days doing things outside of WDW so those days we will most likely be eating elsewhere.

This is very interesting. I too think the regular DP would be too much for us but would definitely look into the QS plan. We would probably want to do sit down once per day 75% of the days were were there but we aren't really dessert people (my kids would beg to differ, haha) and I would prefer the freedom of not being tied down.

We had free dining on our visit last November:banana: so it was definitely worth it then, lol. We had actually decided to buy it anyway so it was a bonus that it ended up free. :cool1:

We had 3 adults, 1 child (DS12 was considered an adult; other DS was 8) and it was going to cost around $1800AUD for 12 nights on the standard dining plan. We chose it as we (I!) wanted to do lots of character meals, and having a DP seeemd to the most economical way of doing that. (As an aside, my local TA quoted me about $2800 for the DP:scared1:).

Most of our meals were character buffetts so I can't really comment on the desserts separately. I wasn't too impressed with the ones that came with the counter meal part of it though. As many other people have experienced, we ended up with lots of snack credits left on the last day so we were madly using them up in the food court of the hotel. 6 months later a lot of those chocolate bars are still in our pantry... :rolleyes1

Next time we go to WDW I would consider getting the quick service plan, as most of those meals are really very filling. I'd also ensure we used the snack credits a lot less stringently than we did. I'd book a few character meals and just pay out of pocket for those.

There was a great food court at Epcot in the building that houses "Soarin". I picked up one meal assuming it was a counter/quick service one only to find it was a snack! There was so much to it I ended up sharing it with with DS. So, I certainly don't think we'd starve on the counter service plan!

Alternatively, I'd buy gift cards when we arrived and just use those instead of a dining plan at all (won't seem as painful if I hand over a gift card instead of cash, lol). Closer to the time I'd look at the menus and work out exactly how much it would cost and go from there.

hey there

One of the highlights of my trip last year was eating at all the restaurants..so we had already bought the dining plan before they made it free...so we are saving around $520 usd after now paying $20 a day[ $10 each] to upgrade to table dining from QS. so very very happy...and I had made all my resi's 180 days before so we now have the places we really want.

50's prime time
tonys town square
Ohana's
crystal palace
kona
les chefs
le cellier
coral reef
sanaa @ AKL
whispering canyon @ WL

some we'll pay cash for..like the cheaper buffets... so very very happy

We went for free dining last year and althouh we loved the food, don't think we would go for the dining plan again. We prefer savoury foods over desert and were paying extra at all our non buffet meals for appetisers. We also found that we didn't want desert at lunch time particularly with our QS meals. I also found I was not always ordering things I wanted. Like at California Grill, I would have liked to have a flat bread, sushi and and appetiser instead of a main. But couldn't do this on the DP. Next time I would just go with the TIW card (which we did use in conjunction with the DP this time)

We went for free dining last year and althouh we loved the food, don't think we would go for the dining plan again. We prefer savoury foods over desert and were paying extra at all our non buffet meals for appetisers. We also found that we didn't want desert at lunch time particularly with our QS meals. I also found I was not always ordering things I wanted. Like at California Grill, I would have liked to have a flat bread, sushi and and appetiser instead of a main. But couldn't do this on the DP. Next time I would just go with the TIW card (which we did use in conjunction with the DP this time)

That's what we are doing this time using TIW and not DDP. We used the DDP last time and did like it but with nut allergies found that there were not many desserts that we could eat, so if we had it again we would use the DxDDP as we get an entree as well as main and dessert. But for this next trip we are getting TIW and just paying for our meals. My son is 10 now and classed as an adult, he is not going to eat $42 or $79 in food a day, even with free dining we are better to pay and use TIW and get 40% off the room. So TIW is better for us, he can order off the kids menu, pay $7 or $12 for his meal and we get 20% discount.

It does save you time waiting in line. That is the only advantage of the fantasmic package. I have to admit though, I am struggling with booking the Fantasmic package for this trip. The thing is we haven't ever lined up without it, so don't really know what the lines are like. But when we have done it, we actually ended up leaving the reserved seating area last time as it's off to the side and even though we have often made it to the front row and gone right over to the end where the roped off area is (which is as close to the centre as you can get to the centre in the reserved area). Because of the wind we were getting quite wet that night so we left the reserved area and went into the middle much closer to the back and still had an amazing view (and this was outside of the reserved seating area). To be honest, it isn't a huge stadium or anything and I think even if you were sitting in the back row you would still have a good view.

I have fantasmic on my list to call and make the booking but I am well inside our 180 day window now and I just haven't done it. Even last night at 9pm when I could have called and made the booking I did think, "it's 9pm, I can call now and book fantasmic" and I just didn't. I really don't feel that the reserved seating is better than the regular seating and we have to have dinner at something ridiculous like 4.30pm. So for us I am thinking that this time we may just wing it and line up for it as I would be happy even if we were sitting in the back row and we have seen the show more than once. :confused3

Oh the stress of organising Disney trip :lmao:

AussieTravellers - I don't know if this will also happen in October when you go; but the schedule for Fantasmic was changed in late April for May. There were 2 shows available for Sunday and Wednesday - 9 pm and 10.30 pm. We got to DHS at around 9 pm, ate dinner and went to queue at 10'ish for the late show. We got seats in the middle section in the mid/top section of the arena. The arena was full for the 10.30 performance but everyone got a seat.

AussieTravellers - I don't know if this will also happen in October when you go; but the schedule for Fantasmic was changed in late April for May. There were 2 shows available for Sunday and Wednesday - 9 pm and 10.30 pm. We got to DHS at around 9 pm, ate dinner and went to queue at 10'ish for the late show. We got seats in the middle section in the mid/top section of the arena. The arena was full for the 10.30 performance but everyone got a seat.

Welcome Home PrincessInOz :wave: I can't wait to read your trip report :coffee:

Fantasmic is only on at 8pm a few days a week in Sept/Oct according to the calender at the moment. Who knows, they may change it. I have decided not to bother booking the Fantasmic package, we have seen it a few times now, I did book it at Disneyland and would again there (it's just dessert and SO YUMMY :rotfl:)

Did you do the package or just line up? Did you line up for long if you didn't do the package? I haven't watched it before without the package so really don't know what the queueing is like to see the show or when to start lining up.

Welcome Home PrincessInOz :wave: I can't wait to read your trip report :coffee:

Fantasmic is only on at 8pm a few days a week in Sept/Oct according to the calender at the moment. Who knows, they may change it. I have decided not to bother booking the Fantasmic package, we have seen it a few times now, I did book it at Disneyland and would again there (it's just dessert and SO YUMMY :rotfl:)

Did you do the package or just line up? Did you line up for long if you didn't do the package? I haven't watched it before without the package so really don't know what the queueing is like to see the show or when to start lining up.

Nice to be home, albeit with a killer cough and cold that I picked up in the first week :(

I didn't do the package. I joined what looked like a really long line at around 10. If you know the layout of DHS, we joined the line near the hat! They started to let people into the arena at 10.15; and we got in and were seated by 10.25. The line moved really fast and it seemed really easy to go in and get a seat for the 10.30 show.

I personally thought that the show at DLR was better as it uses the showboat and the pirate boat. But this is just a personal opinion.

Nice to be home, albeit with a killer cough and cold that I picked up in the first week :(

I didn't do the package. I joined what looked like a really long line at around 10. If you know the layout of DHS, we joined the line near the hat! They started to let people into the arena at 10.15; and we got in and were seated by 10.25. The line moved really fast and it seemed really easy to go in and get a seat for the 10.30 show.

I personally thought that the show at DLR was better as it uses the showboat and the pirate boat. But this is just a personal opinion.

Near the HAT! :scared1: Good grief, my visual thinking has just made me pass out :lmao: But I do know how they do seem good at making their lines move pretty quickly. Think we will just wing it and turn up and join the line :faint:

I agree about DLR show, we much prefer that show too.

Sorry to hear you are not well :sick: Hope you get better soon :wizard:

Hi hope you dont mind me popping in but thought this may be a good thread for you all :goodvibes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2450005

Ive booked a trip for next year, with free dining.
I too was worried about desserts as im not a dessert eater, though my son and husband love desserts.
anyway the details of the dining plan released by Virgin have changed.

with the basic dining plan, you now get an extra snack per day.
however desserts are no longer included.
The price of the plans has gone up slightly, yet theyve taken a lot of value away. :sad2:

like i said this is all announced by the UK brochures, nothing is official from Disney yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter