• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Hi! Does anyone have any guess as to when fireworks MIGHT be returning to the parks? I had a trip planned for August(LOL!) and postponed it to next May..... now I'm realizing its already October and May is far but not THAT far away. If there are no fireworks I may consider postponing again.... so I'm just trying to put my ear to the street and see if anyone has any idea when they may return!!

Last edited:
I’m afraid there will be no fireworks until the 50th celebration. That’d make it extra “special” 🙁

Just wondering about current restrictions and what they are? Haven't been following too close. We have a condo reserved offsite for next May. No way we are coming if we have to wear those rags on our faces and if there is no character greets and fireworks, etc. In other words we want it to be like it was 5 years ago, the last time we visited. Did the governor's move to next phase change anything?

I’m afraid there will be no fireworks until the 50th celebration. That’d make it extra “special” 🙁
Thats what im hoping they wont do. Instead of getting them back up and running as soon as possible, theyre gonna wait for an event like the 4th or the anniversary. Sigh.

No fireworks until crowds are much higher and they’re bringing in more cash. They cost a lot to do. I don’t think it has anything to do with covid or social distancing but all about a cost saving measure. Disney May say they can’t do it due to social distancing issues but personally I don’t think that’s the reason.

Last edited:
I think you will see fireworks by the end of the year. The vast majority of the unfortunate layoffs are due to the CA governor refusing to allow DL to open. All of those park employees are without a place to work until he changes his mind.

I think the increase in crowds you are seeing at DW is the reason for the testing of fireworks. If crowds continue to grow (and I expect they will as we get closer to the holidays), then more shows and fireworks are likely to return.

Just wondering about current restrictions and what they are? Haven't been following too close. We have a condo reserved offsite for next May. No way we are coming if we have to wear those rags on our faces and if there is no character greets and fireworks, etc. In other words we want it to be like it was 5 years ago, the last time we visited. Did the governor's move to next phase change anything?

You might want to do some research

I believe they will be back by the end of 2020. As crowds continue to grow as we get closer to the holidays, I think we will see more shows, parades, and fireworks returning.

I am still going in Oct even without those things because DW gives me an escape for a week when I think my wife and I dearly need the mental break!

My guess is for Christmas/New Year's unless things take an ugly turn before then.

Nothing has changed with the gov's orders. Nothing you listed is happening now (well, the masks are), nor are there definite plans for when any of it will return. I wouldn't plan on things being "like they were" until later next year. If you do plan for May, make sure you have an exit strategy for your plans.

I think you will see fireworks by the end of the year. The vast majority of the unfortunate layoffs are due to the CA governor refusing to allow DL to open. All of those park employees are without a place to work until he changes his mind.

I think the increase in crowds you are seeing at DW is the reason for the testing of fireworks. If crowds continue to grow (and I expect they will as we get closer to the holidays), then more shows and fireworks are likely to return.

Agree, I think the testing of the fireworks was a good sign. My money is having them up by Christmas/New Year's. And who knows, maybe they won't have them every night... maybe just on the weekends or something to save money?

Tokyo Disneyland already had their fireworks and parades return LAST MONTH!!!!

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020...-return-to-tokyo-disneyland-on-september-1st/

No excuse not to have them running now at WDW IMHO. But as to when they actual come back, say 2021....now is that Jan or Dec......who knows.

Oh, and I just noticed that their fireworks show starts at 8pm.........WTH is MK closing earlier again???
Most of the world has been able to open up more than the U.S. (e.g., cruises happening in Europe) because they followed the rules and got the virus under control. We still have a long road ahead in the U.S., and until that happens, demand for expensive travel with crowds is going to be lower, and park hours will be shorter due to lack of demand. Disney has been extending or shortening park hours based on attendance levels. Also, candidly, they probably trust that in Japan, people will keep their masks on and distance during shows and don't (can't) say the same for the U.S.--which could lead to bad publicity with people posting pictures of maskless crowds watching fireworks on social media.

I also think Tokyo benefits from having a HUGE local AP population, so they rely less on tourists. That again boosts demand and makes it more cost effective to stay open later.

Any thoughts on how the sad news of all those employees being laid off will impact guest experience? Any guesses, theories or rumors in regards to when fireworks might return... or does this layoff news maybe indicate that’s not going to happen? Ive had to cancel 2 trips so far due to Covid. Now we are supposed to go in April and Im wondering what thoughts are on how Disney will be in April/May 2021?
merged you to the operational thread.
No news on when fireworks will return

Just a reminder to please keep similar posts in one thread. The reason being it is easier to check one thread for news and info instead of having multiple threads on the same subject
This is the WDW operational thread so any changes to operations will be posted here. Please do not stray from the subject, we are not here to discuss how Disney's decisions are bad/good, just give to provide facts on operations of WDW
So far
We don't know for sure that WDW has increased capacity
No changes in masks or safety guidelines by Disney even though the Fl Gov has basically decided to open everything up 100%
No news on when shows, parades or fireworks will return with the exception of FEA returning Monday

No fireworks until crowds are much higher and they’re bringing in more cash. They cost a lot to do. I don’t think it has anything to do with covid or social distancing but all about a cost saving measure. Disney May say they can’t do it due to social distancing issues but personally I don’t think that’s the reason.

While I agree that they cost a lot, I also think a big reason they aren’t doing them IS because of their current social distancing requirements. You can’t put on a fireworks show at the castle without applying the same social distancing rules they have for rides, which is a giant undertaking to spread everyone out in the hub while still allowing for movement throughout the park, not to mention all the people who stop in other areas to watch, which creates crowds. If they’re going to enforce social distancing, it has to be across the board and not just here and there. I just think it’s too much of a headache and logistically difficult.

While I agree that they cost a lot, I also think a big reason they aren’t doing them IS because of their current social distancing requirements. You can’t put on a fireworks show at the castle without applying the same social distancing rules they have for rides, which is a giant undertaking to spread everyone out in the hub while still allowing for movement throughout the park, not to mention all the people who stop in other areas to watch, which creates crowds. If they’re going to enforce social distancing, it has to be across the board and not just here and there. I just think it’s too much of a headache and logistically difficult.
I believe the lack of fireworks is 99% money based. Sea World did fireworks this Summer, they had social distance markers all around the park for people to watch, Disney could easily do HEA without the projections on the castle and people could easily spread all around, another easy one would be Epcot Forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter