WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Saw this info where WDW VP Thomas Mazloum said that WDW does not have any opening date:

"We do not have any opening date yet. Some of you may know we––at this point, we’re taking bookings that were in June, that doesn’t mean that we’re opening in June. At this time, I just want to make it clear that we do not have any plans to share about Walt Disney World or, for that matter, any of our other parks at this point. Clearly, regulatory guidance is an important element of this in each area and country where we work, and at this point, I just want to be clear that we simply don’t have any plans to share about Walt Disney World yet.”

It's good to actually hear something from them, but still more waiting around hoping for something good soon.
:guilty::guilty: Def. doesn't sound good for my early June trip. I do kinda feel like at this point there would have to be something out there indicating they were planning on early June opening if they were. Like; they'd need to meet with their employees; something on the hub or anything, but we haven't seen a thing, which makes me feel like my hope for 6/8 is probably about done. Blah.

:guilty::guilty: Def. doesn't sound good for my early June trip. I do kinda feel like at this point there would have to be something out there indicating they were planning on early June opening if they were. Like; they'd need to meet with their employees; something on the hub or anything, but we haven't seen a thing, which makes me feel like my hope for 6/8 is probably about done. Blah.
I didn't think we got any more of an indication with those statements than we already had. The head of the task force was pushing for information and Disney wanted to make clear they weren't ready to announce an opening. Having no news to share isn't the same as having no news. I think this one is much ado about nothing. That said, they'll have to make a move soon.

I agree this is relevant to WDW opening. I just wanted to mention that the June 14 opening is a best-case scenario, given that the reopening of the park would hinge on Indiana being in the Stage 4 of the reopening. Certainly hoping for the best!
Its funny that people will say that's a bit of an indicator that Disney will open sooner rather than later. SeaWorld and Legoland San Diego put out the plans for reopening and most dismiss it. Most parks will probably have meet and greets with 6 ft from the character and social distancing spacing in queues. It feels like a lot are fearful of too much Disney magic being taken away.

Its funny that people will say that's a bit of an indicator that Disney will open sooner rather than later. SeaWorld and Legoland San Diego put out the plans for reopening and most dismiss it. Most parks will probably have meet and greets with 6 ft from the character and social distancing spacing in queues. It feels like a lot are fearful of too much Disney magic being taken away.
Was it just Sea World/Legoland in CA? If so, I'm guessing that's why. CA seems to be sticking to much stricter guidelines than many other states including FL. Curious though; what date are they opening?

Was it just Sea World/Legoland in CA? If so, I'm guessing that's why. CA seems to be sticking to much stricter guidelines than many other states including FL. Curious though; what date are they opening?
No date for reopening but Disney will probably follow a lot of the same measures.

I think that the SVP’s comments were to accomplish a few things: 1) To dispel the rumor that some Disney fans are getting behind that a June 1 opening is a hard date, 2) To avoid a “rush” of bookings for early June; they don’t want Disney fans swarming the park when it reopens, 3) To “protect” themselves as things evolve and change and finally 4) they don’t want the mainstream media to start picking up this speculation of a June reopening, which could launch some criticism, especially if Disney doesn’t get ahead of the coverage. It's still very possible we see some sort of reopening sometime in June (there are lots of signs pointing to. that), but whenever we see a reopening, Disney will probably not give much notice for the above reasons as well.

I don't think that's what they said. They said if they have to limit capacity, they would cancel some of the ADRs that had already been made, but would keep the ones that were made first. So if the restaurants would be at 50 percent capacity, they would just keep the first 50 percent and cancel the rest.
Well that stinks, if you rescheduled a canceled trip and got free dining and were able to make adrs you may lose them!

Well that stinks, if you rescheduled a canceled trip and got free dining and were able to make adrs you may lose them!
It does, but anyone who has reservations for the next couple of months just has to accept that things are up in the air- that anything you book is not set in stone. I made our FPS knowing full well they may not even have FP. I’m real close to saying I just can’t take the uncertainty anymore, but trying to hang on until they give us something on what they’re planning.

Last edited:
It does, but anyone who has reservations for the next couple of months just has to accept that things are up in the air- that anything you book is not set in stone. I made our FPS knowing full well they may nit even have FP. I’m real close to saying I just can’t take the uncertainty anymore, but trying to hang on until they give us something on what they’re planning.
I am feeling your pain-I want our June 19-23 trip to happen, but things are so unknown, and I am such a planner. This added stress of Disney unknowns on top of the regular stress of dealing with the new normal in daily life is a mess. I made most of our dining reservations 180 days out, but have tweaked the reservation times over the course of planning several times. I don't know if they will only count my latest ADR time as when I made it the reservation, or the original, or even if they will have TS restaurants open. I too have thought of just canceling and picking a new date, but would love to get the free dining offer if they do cancel, so I am holding onto hope. I also wonder if we will know what Disney's operational changes will be in time to cancel, if we see experiences are going to be so limited we would feel like we were cheated while there. My grandson's deal breaker would not being able to make a droid during our Droid Depot reservation. Mine would be no table service restaurants open.

We have a mother/daughter trip planned for June 7 and still not even sure we can get into florida we do come from NY but Upstate NY not the city.

I would be really unhappy if my ADRs for our backup trip(s) were cancelled. We had a trip planned for this week with perfect ADR's that I made 180 days out. Obviously our May trip isn't happening and I started booking adr's for June and September as our 2 backup choices. Maybe they should cancel everyone's and then everyone can scramble to get one of the spots that open. I know this situation isn't fair, but they shouldn't cancel the ones who made adr's later.

I am feeling your pain-I want our June 19-23 trip to happen, but things are so unknown, and I am such a planner. This added stress of Disney unknowns on top of the regular stress of dealing with the new normal in daily life is a mess. I made most of our dining reservations 180 days out, but have tweaked the reservation times over the course of planning several times. I don't know if they will only count my latest ADR time as when I made it the reservation, or the original, or even if they will have TS restaurants open. I too have thought of just canceling and picking a new date, but would love to get the free dining offer if they do cancel, so I am holding onto hope. I also wonder if we will know what Disney's operational changes will be in time to cancel, if we see experiences are going to be so limited we would feel like we were cheated while there. My grandson's deal breaker would not being able to make a droid during our Droid Depot reservation. Mine would be no table service restaurants open.

We are (hoping to) going June 19 - 26th. I'm such a planner, too. I'm going ahead and planning as I normally would, just keeping in mind that they may not be open. I'm also hoping that if they open, but have severely restricted the experience, they will let us reschedule with no issues. I can deal with no parades and fireworks, and maybe deal with no meet and greets (my kids are a bit older now and aren't into the characters as much), but I don't think I can deal with some of the parks being open and some not. I also think mandatory masks would be a dealbreaker, mostly because in that heat, I don't think my asthmatic son would do well breathing.

We are (hoping to) going June 19 - 26th. I'm such a planner, too. I'm going ahead and planning as I normally would, just keeping in mind that they may not be open. I'm also hoping that if they open, but have severely restricted the experience, they will let us reschedule with no issues. I can deal with no parades and fireworks, and maybe deal with no meet and greets (my kids are a bit older now and aren't into the characters as much), but I don't think I can deal with some of the parks being open and some not. I also think mandatory masks would be a dealbreaker, mostly because in that heat, I don't think my asthmatic son would do well breathing.
I completely agree with you. I could deal with no parades, no fireworks, no character meals (some of the meet and greets I would miss - Stitch! for my 6yo), but its not a deal breaker. I don't want masks to be required - that is NOT a vacation for us and entire parks being closed would be a deal breaker, definitely more than just disappointing.

daily reminder to keep this thread on topic, which is announced procedures by Disney and anyone who has had a trip cancelled by Disney because of COVID.
Any speculation or arguments about procedures can be done on the news and rumors forum

Same - but July 14 from NYC and don't think the travel restriction gets lifted anytime soon, so probably cancelling this week :((
If disney opens travel restrictions should be lifted. One would hope. I plan on June 27 and I’m from upstate NY. I will be there is field Disney is open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter