WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

They just offered Beach Club.
This makes me feel better that they are giving upgrades that far in advance. Hopefully that means they have no intention of closing. My family is healthy and planning on arriving Tuesday the 17th. WIll by my 3y/o first time and she is so excited! Can't imagine telling her we can't go :(

Im going Mar14-21. been following this thread and any WDW news furiously. I am beginning to think that WDW may actually be the cleanest place to be. Between handwashing stations, constant wipedowns, hand sanitizer and public awareness. I only say this bc I remember being on DCL some years back, during a norovirus outbreak and being so impressed that everything was constantly being cleaned, handrails, elevator buttons. I finally feel ok about taking my fam ( ps no underlying med issues in my fam)

We are supposed to be flying in in the morning. I'm not nervous about going or about getting sick. I'm nervous that we are going to fly across the country and wind up in Orlando with closed parks. UGH!

We're going March 23-27. I seriously couldn't be more excited. We're all young and healthy so that helps ease my concerns. The only worry I have now is if they close the parks. But for the Beach Club I will take my chances on that.

How did you get the upgrade. We are staying at Caribbean Beach Resort March 19-27 but I'd be okay going to Beach Club instead. :) I'm worried about getting down there and the parks closing too. :(

Quarantine is my main concern. We can't afford an extended Club level stay at the Poly first of all. But much more importantly, if my partner gets sick and needs extended care in the States, we're screwed. We always travel with more medication than we think will be needed, but what happens if she runs out? As a Canadian she's covered under OHIP but we don't know what that would cover here if anything. Like I said we will seek the guidance of her doctors but if the resorts are even still open, postponing this trip feels like the right thing to do. I don't even care if Disney won't refund anything tbqh, I can't put a price tag on her health. We will think about the fall at earliest.
I was supposed to be staying at Contemporary starting Saturday, but postponed this morning till August. Was no problem at all and the price is slightly lower so actually getting some money back. You should be good once you call.

How did you get the upgrade. We are staying at Caribbean Beach Resort March 19-27 but I'd be okay going to Beach Club instead. :) I'm worried about getting down there and the parks closing too. :(
We stayed at the Caribbean Beach for the first time in January, for marathon, and absolutely LOVED it! Being at a Skyliner resort is a game changer! So much quicker than the buses and most of the time, it was just the two of us so we didn't have to sit on a crowded bus.

We're going March 23-27. I seriously couldn't be more excited. We're all young and healthy so that helps ease my concerns. The only worry I have now is if they close the parks. But for the Beach Club I will take my chances on that.
Have a FANTASTIC trip!!!!

One thing that I this is getting missed here is this important fact: Scientists say that the virus is primarily spreading by people breathing in droplets in the air from the infected.Washing your hands, wiping down tables or rides, not touching your face — these are clearly important. However, catching the virus by touching it with your hands and then touching your face isnt the way most people are getting sick, so that can only protect you so far. That fact is really making me question our potential May trip to WDW.

Dr. Fauci testified before Congress today that the most important thing we can can do right now to stay healthy is social distancing. As he said, it’s not business as usual anymore, And, he said it doesn’t matter if you’re somewhere that doesn’t have many cases now — you still need to practice social distancing and avoid crowds.

Unfortunately, I just can’t see any way to keep 6 feet away from others in line, or on rides, or at shows or nighttime events. Alarmingly, a new Coronavirus study showed that the virus can live up to three hours in the air, after it’s released by someone who is infected. If that turns out to be true, it wouldn’t be enough to just stay away from people who are coughing or sneezing.

Our May trip was booked as a replacement for our to-be-canceled trip to Italy, France, and DLP, and I hate the thought of disappointing my family by not going on either trip. But, in light of this stark analysis from medical experts, I can’t figure out how to make a WDW trip safe enough to go.

Actually quite surprised that Disney has not reacted yet with the recent suspensions of games in NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA, and soon to come MLB. I love Disney but at some point you have to wonder why they aren't making a move to participate in a similar way as the major sports organizations and other large events.

Actually quite surprised that Disney has not reacted yet with the recent suspensions of games in NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA, and soon to come MLB. I love Disney but at some point you have to wonder why they aren't making a move to participate in a similar way as the major sports organizations and other large events.
I live in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida and we have a major golf tournament that started today, The Players. The PGA announced earlier today that beginning tomorrow, this tournament is closed to all fans through the weekend. This is huge for this area, and a lot of people are very upset about it, but it reflects the efforts to "flatten the curve". Part of me thinks Disney will be pressured to make some changes but who knows. I have 2 trips planned; 1 is the first weekend of April and the other is the first weekend of May. As of to day, I still plan on going but I am taking it one day at a time. I will not hesitate to cancel if need be.

And, he said it doesn’t matter if you’re somewhere that doesn’t have many cases now
The key words "somewhere that doesn't have MANY cases now". Orlando has zero cases right now, so they are still trying to operate as usual.
Unfortunately, I just can’t see any way to keep 6 feet away from others in line, or on rides, or at shows or nighttime events.
I can’t figure out how to make a WDW trip safe enough to go.
I believe that once Orlando area has their first case is when you will see big changes in WDW operating. Either major changes to keep social distancing, or closing entirely. I could see them first starting with practices for social distancing, then with more cases closing entirely.

Perhaps this isn't exactly on topic, but I'm in NYC and it was just announced that Broadway is closing all its theaters until April 13th and that the Met Opera, Met Museum, and a few other theater venues are also closing. I believe this all happened after an usher who works two Broadway shows was tested positive. Also, social distancing, which is pretty darn difficult in NYC.

The key words "somewhere that doesn't have MANY cases now". Orlando has zero cases right now, so they are still trying to operate as usual.

I believe that once Orlando area has their first case is when you will see big changes in WDW operating. Either major changes to keep social distancing, or closing entirely. I could see them first starting with practices for social distancing, then with more cases closing entirely.

Our wingspan usually correlates with our height, so I could see guidance around "if you can touch someone, you're too close" or dropping the at capacity numbers....

Off topic, but calls to upgrade are usually done when they’re overbooked or there are issues with a particular room , I doubt the current situation has anything to do with it. They are rare and there’s nothing you can do to get them.

Just read this about disneyLand: Disneyland and other large theme parks will not required to comply with California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order against large gatherings to counter the spread of COVID-19.

Seems gov.excluded disney from gathering ban..... seems to indicate that disney is determined to stay open and that states still need the tourism.

We are driving down to WDW from Birmingham next Saturday, 3/21, staying until that next Saturday. The parks would have to shut down to keep us at home. Take the same precautions you would during normal flu season and you should be fine. In my opinion, the media hype is part of the problem. Yes, this is serious for those already affected, but the knee-jerk reactions to this crisis has everyone scared to death and losing their minds. We never had this level of closures and panic with H1N1, MERS, Bird Flu, etc. There was concern, but everyone could carry on a normal day-to-day routine. Just be cautious with out the crazy.

Last edited:
They didn't give any explanation and I didn't ask. I guess I should have, but I was just super excited because I've never had an upgrade to anything before. I'm wondering if maybe they have extra rooms available at the Beach Club because of cancellations?

Did you end up getting a phone call? I would LOVE an upgrade for our April trip!

I am waiting for a call from my travel agent as I am cancelling for a spring break trip in April. Will my fast passes cancel automatically and will I have to go in and cancel all my dining reservations? Also, I booked the After Hours at MK and the Rhino tour at AK. Are they both nonrefundable?

Resort questions and discussion should probably be on the resort's board. We're trying to keep focus on the thread.

will I have to go in and cancel all my dining reservations?
Did your TA make them? Or did you? They would absolutely need to be cancelled to avoid the no-show fee.
Will my fast passes cancel automatically
You should go in an cancel them. They would just cancel themselves as you don't show for them, but cancelling them now helps others going down.

I am waiting for a call from my travel agent as I am cancelling for a spring break trip in April. Will my fast passes cancel automatically and will I have to go in and cancel all my dining reservations? Also, I booked the After Hours at MK and the Rhino tour at AK. Are they both nonrefundable?

Dining reservations need to be manually cancelled (unless your TA does it for you).

FPs are supposed to eventually be cancelled once the system rolls over enough to recognize you don't have a trip planned. If you have a package, they'll definitely go away (because FPs need tickets to exist). With a room only and separate ticketed stay, they 'should' go away but may not.

After Hours tickets are non-refundable. You should call Disney to discuss your options. Traditionally they have been flexible - outcomes are often exchanging them for another night or getting the refund on a Disney gift card (I am not sure if they are being more accommodating currently).

Not sure about the Rhino tour - check your e-mail confirmation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter