• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Corkage Fee Policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawx04

Yankee Fans Tell No Tales
I have a few questions for all the Disney Dining experts.

Anyone have any idea what WDW’s policy is on corkage fees at high end restaurants (California Grill, Artist Point, Narcoossee’s)? I called DD and the CM didn’t even know what a corkage fee was…heh, heh….obviously not from the left coast.

Has anyone had a good/bad experience bring a special bottle of wine to dinner?

While I don't have current info.....here is an article from 2006, which states that Disney leaves corkage up to individual Managers.

Corkage at Disney

Maybe someone has more current info.

Mister Disney, thanks for the link…interesting read…I’m surprised to see restaurant managers and sommelier whining about corkage, lost revenue, and stiffing servers.

For the record, I tend to spend more on appetizers and entrees when bring a special bottle of wine and ALWAYS leave a generous tip to compensate the server for the special request.

As California Grill's sommelier, I was kind of shocked to read Bridget Sherren comment “Your wine may be very rare…but if we can't find it, we can match it.”

Wine is a very subjective and personal experience. How can she *match* a bottle of 1997 David Arthur Elevation 1147? Opening this bottle transports me and my wife to Napa Valley and the day we toured David Long's winery on our 25th wedding anniversary.

Perhaps Ms. Sherren should rent Ratatouille!!!

Mister Disney, thanks for the link…interesting read…I’m surprised to see restaurant managers and sommelier whining about corkage, lost revenue, and stiffing servers.

For the record, I tend to spend more on appetizers and entrees when bring a special bottle of wine and ALWAYS leave a generous tip to compensate the server for the special request.

As California Grill's sommelier, I was kind of shocked to read Bridget Sherren comment “Your wine may be very rare…but if we can't find it, we can match it.”

Wine is a very subjective and personal experience. How can she *match* a bottle of 1997 David Arthur Elevation 1147? Opening this bottle transports me and my wife to Napa Valley and the day we toured David Long's winery on our 25th wedding anniversary.

Perhaps Ms. Sherren should rent Ratatouille!!!

Interesting how people "read" an article differently.

First, lets remember that the article was written in 2006, things maybe be different. I KNOW for a fact that the managaement teams at the Signature Restaurants have changes a lot in the past couple of years.

I thoroughly agree that wine is VERY subjective and personal experience.
The K-Man and I have several wines that other would absolutely hate that have memories or that we like.

I "read" from the article that it is best to call or contact any establishments (not just DIsney) in advance before bringing a bottle and that people must realize that if they "think" they can go to the Publix down in Orlando and buy a $10 bottle....it will cost them dearly to drink it. Probably more than it is worth. Back in 2006 the article stated that Disney had a flat $25 fee for corkage....THAT is very reasonable.

Furthermore, I (and please correct me if you feel otherwise) for one feel that Disney has a wonderful wine collection available at many of the Restaurants, and I don't feel that they are gouging the public because they are "Disney"

Case in point, their wine or liquor "flights", on our last trip, we noticed that Disney has "rolled out" wine and liquor tasting flights at a VERY reasonable price by any standard. I think this gives the guest opportunities to try a variety of things and not be "out" a whole lot of $$$

Anyway that is my TWO CENTS.....

but then again...why is it only a penny for my thoughts? :rotfl2: :lmao:

Back in 2006 the article stated that Disney had a flat $25 fee for corkage....THAT is very reasonable.

Furthermore, I (and please correct me if you feel otherwise) for one feel that Disney has a wonderful wine collection available at many of the Restaurants, and I don't feel that they are gouging the public because they are "Disney"

but then again...why is it only a penny for my thoughts? :rotfl2: :lmao:

I heard back from Disney Dining today and they stated that restaurants now have a standard $15 corkage fee.

I agree that most of the Signature Restaurants have extensive wine collections and are priced like any upscale restaurant outside of WDW. In fact, my wife and I have enjoyed many fantastic bottles on various trips. However, normally we only order a full bottle at one dinner during a full week stay; it’s nice to know on a very special occasion, we can bring an extraordinary wine from our cellar.

I heard back from Disney Dining today and they stated that restaurants now have a standard $15 corkage fee.

Is it standard at all restaurants at Disney that you can bring a bottle in, or still up to the indivdual management of the restaurant?

Is it standard at all restaurants at Disney that you can bring a bottle in, or still up to the indivdual management of the restaurant?

It’s at the discretion of individual of individual restaurants.

Mrs. Sawx reminded me that the California Grill had a “reserve” list in addition the regular list. We had to request it.

I know that V&A has a $25 corkage fee when we brought in a few of our own wine bottles for my wedding dinner this past February. They were more than happy to do so.

I "read" from the article that it is best to call or contact any establishments (not just DIsney) in advance before bringing a bottle and that people must realize that if they "think" they can go to the Publix down in Orlando and buy a $10 bottle....it will cost them dearly to drink it. Probably more than it is worth. Back in 2006 the article stated that Disney had a flat $25 fee for corkage....THAT is very reasonable.

There has been more than one thread over on the cruise board that is functionally this - bring a $6 bottle of Yellowtail to avoid paying $20 (plus gratuity) for a bottle of wine. (Some DCL cruisers will pour a glass in their room and take it to dinner, avoiding both DCL pricing and the corkage fee. I like a second glass I don't need to go to my room to get).

Disney's wine markup is actually darn reasonable - and they do a pretty good job of making sure that even at a signature restaurant there are a selection of affordable decent wines. With restrictions on liquid on board aircraft and the way baggage gorillas handle checked luggage, I'm not too tempted to bring a bottle of something special from our cellar - but maybe if I drove.

I brought a bottle of Ornelliaia to Artist Point's cocktail lounge in 2002. Not only did they happily open it (and not charge me a corkage fee), but the bartender commented on the bottle. I left him a huge tip.

I brought a bottle of Ornelliaia to Artist Point's cocktail lounge in 2002. Not only did they happily open it (and not charge me a corkage fee), but the bartender commented on the bottle. I left him a huge tip.

Nice, what year was the Ornelliaia? I have a 97 and have been tempted to open it several times. <LOL>

It was a 96.... I have had the 97 (lost the other bottle during my divorce - AAAH!), yummy.....

It would be hard to sleep knowing that a bottle of the 97 was sitting there...calling to me....

Local corkage fees

• $25/bottle: Shula's Steakhouse, Todd English's Bluezoo, Victoria & Albert's
• $15/bottle: Fulton's Crab House, Portobello Yacht Club

Walt Disney World's policy is to leave the decision up to the individual restaurant manager, with a standard fee of $25 for those who allow it.

Source: Orlando Business Journal research

It's probably only me I'm sure, but deciding to "BYOB" to a nice restaurant that has a good wine list would defeat the purpose of going to that nice restaurant.
But it seems clear that you CAN do it at WDW, which is good for those who decide to do so.

Hello! My first trip to WDW and my first post...!

This discussion thread is very helpful. However, it is a bit dated and, I'm told, things change all the time at WDW. (In fact, today I found out that the Wine addition/option with the Dining plans will no longer be offered in 2012)

Can anyone please verify if the Disney Resort Restaurants still allow BYOWine and what the corkage fee is? I've looked at the incredible wine selection at California Grill and I've heard that JIKO has one of the 100 best wine lists from Wine Enthusiast (gotta trust R.Parker!!!) However, I would still prefer to bring one of our unusual and/or rare wines from our collection -- even to one of these restaurants.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

closing this thread from 2008. Please feel free to start a new thread but the info quoted here is years old

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter