WDW Commando Club

I've got a question for my fellow Commando's. First off I'm sorry I haven't on much, as finances are tight, and have been battling a nasty knee that I'll get confirmation late Aug that I'm going to need surgery on it. I've been saving for the past couple of months, for a DISNEY trip sometime in Jan/17. When I checked my fav airlines website, I discovered that for around $400CDN more I can afford WDW:cool1: staying at the Coronado Springs for a 7 day trip versus a budget hotel in DL for 5 days. Regardless the trip would be booked with this airline. So my question to my fellow Commando's is it worth going to WDW for 7 days?? Realistically we would have 5 days in the parks. Is this viable since none of us have ever been to WDW before?? I really wouldn't be able to book till Sept/16 as I couldn't afford to before then. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. At this point I'm researching both trips, and won't make a decision till around June/16 when I see where my finances are at. I've told the kids that we are going somewhere in 2017, but they don't know where we are going. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm just saving like crazy, as I've also got a solo trip to Las Vegas later that year, I may turn into a trip to Baltimore for the family, proving I can find cheap airfare. Thanks and have a great day!

Trish

Trish:wave2:

IMO 5 days is enough to get everything done, usually we have everything pretty much done in 3 1/2 - 4 days and would already have some second time around items in:cool1: if it's during Christmas season you would definitely need at least a extra day or 2 to get in all the shows, parades etc.

Glad you had a great time and there were no mishaps. How did you get the free Memory Maker?

The Memory Maker was offered free to AP holders during a certain booking time, luckily we were going in the time span they were offering it:thumbsup2, that's a nice $150 savings:cool1:

As far as mishaps there was Tampa:lmao: Busch Gardens has the worst directions as fas as signs, we got off at the exit that said BG followed the road after awhile I stopped to ask directions we were about 15miles off:confused3, then on the way back we followed the exit that said to I 4 not one sign after that so I got on 75 after about 50miles I saw a sign that said Orlando got onto 50 then found out Orlando was 62miles:scared1:, it was a pretty neat ride I saw a place that had dozens of 442,s that needed to be restored:thumbsup2, this led us to I 4 around The Holy Land attraction, now we were about 12miles to far north, but I knew where I was now, we then went to HS and made it in time to use our FP for Rock n Roll Rollercoaster & Fantasmic:thumbsup2:lmao:

I don't think of myself as a commando, but I want to post my over the top commando experience at DHS and support other commandos and say that a commando experience can be an absolute blast. This commando day is one of my fondest Disney memories.

First time of year -- December 21st -- busy season -- not as bad a Christmas week, but getting close to that season. // Group -- huge 10 people all ages 13 and over // Goal: Get the most out of our one and only one day at a Disney park and minimize waits in line

I was in charge of planning for the group. Some of the relatives called me and asked me what they could do to get ready / prepared for the trip. I was just kidding, but they actually took me seriously. I told some what would really help would be to start a jogging program, so we all as a group would be in good physical shape to dodge the strollers at rope drop and get to top attractions before the crowds. And OMG -- I couldn't believe it, but my out of shape relatives who were joining us for the trip actually started a jogging program. lol

I had a preliminary plan from touringplans.com laid out and the night before our DHS day sat down and went over it with my brother, my partner in crime, to tweak it and make it as appealing as possible for the entire group. We then went down to the condo lobby and printed 10 copies. For everyone who was going with us, we told them what time we would have breakfast ready and be leaving for the park. We told them two cars would be going at that time, and anyone late would need to find their own transportation to the park and meet up with us, as we wanted to be early people for rope drop and weren't going to wait for anyone. My brother got up early and made a huge breakfast for everyone going. At the same time, my mom and I made 15 sandwiches, as our plan had no time to stop for lunch and several of us would be carrying sandwiches, snacks, and juice boxes in cooler backpacks.

We then distributed the plan to every person and said that this is what a core group of us would be doing. Everyone could join us for all or part of this if they wanted and/or do their own thing, but this is what we would be doing. To my total and complete surprise everyone stuck with the group and the plan all day and loved it.

We arrived at the entrance to DHS 90 minutes before opening. This is when they actually did have an official rope drop and rope, and we were right at the front of that rope drop line.

Next thing, OMG, the rope was down and our party of nine jogs around the strollers and as a group jog over to Toy Story Mania which we had read is the longest line in the park. And we couldn't believe it, only two people in that big crowd actually made it over before we did. So we ride the ride, and there is still no wait (total walk on) when we get off, so we ride it a second time, and then have everyone pick up a fastpass for it.

And then it's on with the plan. My niece and nephew are so cute during the day with comments like, "Oh Aunt Kathy, this is so much fun, what does our plan say to get on next."

I LOVE plans with big groups especially, as there is none of that, "What do you want to do next. I don't know what do you want to do." It's so much easier and more fun to have a plan in advance I think, and the bigger the group the more I feel that way.

:welcome: You are member #266:cool1:, That is a Great story :good vibes, With a large group it is hard to get everyone on the same page, but you got everyone to be a TEAM player and with that you were able to accomplish the real definition of the word Team - Together Everyone Achieves More:banana:

A few things to share from last trip:confused3

DTD ( or Disney Springs when it is finished) is a total mess right now, if you go the best way would be to leave a park and head to the POR or OKW bus and use the water taxi to DTD, this will put you where all the restaurants are, then when leaving you can take the bus over by the Christmas shop. This way you only have to walk around the walls that are in the parking lot between the Lego store and Planet Hollywood once:scared1:

For the 1st time we meet Gaston, this is now our favorite character, he has got to be the funniest character we have meet, I showed him a pic of my son with Belle and when he found out his name was Hunter he wanted to prove he was the best hunter, He said to the line we will be back in a minute, then he took us along with the photographer into his Tavern to show us all the antlers from his hunts, people eating were looking like whats going on here:rotfl2:

Rope drop and The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, this is a hit and miss, one day at RD (letting you into the park through MS train station) the one day we were right in the front of line getting in we pretty much walked right on, now another day although we were at RD we were more near the turnstiles by the time we got there the line was already 35mins:scared1:, we waited since that would be the shortest line of the day. It just shows that even if you are there for RD it all depends on how close you are to the front, it seems like that is 90% of the guests 1st ride to hit::yes::

For the 1st time we meet Gaston, this is now our favorite character, he has got to be the funniest character we have meet, I showed him a pic of my son with Belle and when he found out his name was Hunter he wanted to prove he was the best hunter, He said to the line we will be back in a minute, then he took us along with the photographer into his Tavern to show us all the antlers from his hunts, people eating were looking like whats going on here:rotfl2:

Rope drop and The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, this is a hit and miss, one day at RD (letting you into the park through MS train station) the one day we were right in the front of line getting in we pretty much walked right on, now another day although we were at RD we were more near the turnstiles by the time we got there the line was already 35mins:scared1:, we waited since that would be the shortest line of the day. It just shows that even if you are there for RD it all depends on how close you are to the front, it seems like that is 90% of the guests 1st ride to hit::yes::

That's a cool story about Gaston. :thumbsup2

7DMT will be probably be like TSM. That was our first taRget in DHS when it first opened. Now, that is below RnRC, ToT, and Star Tours for me.

Hello fellow commandos. My FP+ window opens Sunday night. I do not wish to meet any characters but realize that an A&E Meet and Greet is a big deal. If I choose A&E for my FP+ choices on my MK days, then release them to DIS members, what FP+ may I actually have to sacrifice? We are a party of 2.

Hi there,

Just found this thread while trying to read up on stroller theft at WDW. Does my color-coded Excel spreadsheet agenda for our upcoming trip (and the last trip) qualify my as a commando? It is based on crowd calendars & scheduled ADRs. It includes a small amount of scheduled free time

Hi there,

Just found this thread while trying to read up on stroller theft at WDW. Does my color-coded Excel spreadsheet agenda for our upcoming trip (and the last trip) qualify my as a commando? It is based on crowd calendars & scheduled ADRs. It includes a small amount of scheduled free time

Sounds like your qualified. Our leader will be around to give you a number. Do you print out your excel sheets in color or just share them with everyone on the phones? I used to do the sheet, but switched everything over to my phone calendar app.

Last time I just kept it on my phone & everyone followed me around. They pretty much accept that I am in charge

Hi there,

Just found this thread while trying to read up on stroller theft at WDW. Does my color-coded Excel spreadsheet agenda for our upcoming trip (and the last trip) qualify my as a commando? It is based on crowd calendars & scheduled ADRs. It includes a small amount of scheduled free time ��. I send out weekly emails to all those in my travel party highlighting attractions & booked FP+ for all in my party for our entire party.

So what do you say, can I be in the club??? ����

:welcome: You are member #267:cool1: I like your weekly email that you send to your group idea:thumbsup2, it's a great way to keep everyone on the same page and make changes now if needed rather then during the trip.

I never realized WDW had a stroller theft problem, are they stealing the strollers or items left in the stroller:confused3

:welcome: You are member #267:cool1: I like your weekly email that you send to your group idea:thumbsup2, it's a great way to keep everyone on the same page and make changes now if needed rather then during the trip.

I never realized WDW had a stroller theft problem, are they stealing the strollers or items left in the stroller:confused3

Sometimes I think the stroller thing is by accident. With all the CMs relocating them to different areas, it can be confusing.

:welcome: You are member #267:cool1: I like your weekly email that you send to your group idea:thumbsup2, it's a great way to keep everyone on the same page and make changes now if needed rather then during the trip. I never realized WDW had a stroller theft problem, are they stealing the strollers or items left in the stroller:confused3

Well a member of my group raised a concern about it, but from what I have read it's not exactly common. It does happen- sometimes just contents but more often it's the entire stroller.

Hello fellow commandos. My FP+ window opens Sunday night. I do not wish to meet any characters but realize that an A&E Meet and Greet is a big deal. If I choose A&E for my FP+ choices on my MK days, then release them to DIS members, what FP+ may I actually have to sacrifice? We are a party of 2.

I'm not sure where you are going with this:confused3, but if you pick A&E and wanted to give it to someone else I'm pretty sure you can't do that anymore since everything is now on the magic band the only way you most likely would be able to do that would be to give your magic band to the person since they would have to scan it twice in line. When FP's were paper tickets you could do that no problem, but now with the magic bands they hold basically your whole trip and are something you definitely do not want out of your site.

I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at or not

I have a favor to ask my commando buddies. I need a U.S. mailing address to have my magic band shipped to. Disney doesn't mail MB's to Canada and because mine are annual passes there is no way I can pick them up at a resort. (Btw- I'm not staying on site for the November trip) I would then need you to mail it to my home address here in Canada. I will definitely reimburse the cost.
If you figure max. 10 days from WDW to you and then 5 days to Canada, getting them here in plenty of time so my OCD panic won't set in. ;) Thanks. PM me if you can do it (don't forget you full name & address)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just found this thread and am enjoying reading it. I think I qualify - I have spreadsheets for hotels, discounts, meals and travel for a trip over a year away, and we aren't even sure we are going. But dang it if I'm not prepared when we decide! Before FP+ our record (hubby and I) for rides in one day was 26 - in June, at the magic kingdom. Space mountain five or six times, can't remember. Obviously, the new FP+ is kind of a bummer for us but we will figure it out! :)

Just found this thread and am enjoying reading it. I think I qualify - I have spreadsheets for hotels, discounts, meals and travel for a trip over a year away, and we aren't even sure we are going. But dang it if I'm not prepared when we decide! Before FP+ our record (hubby and I) for rides in one day was 26 - in June, at the magic kingdom. Space mountain five or six times, can't remember. Obviously, the new FP+ is kind of a bummer for us but we will figure it out! :)

:welcome: You are member #269:cool1: 26 rides in one day is really impressive, you had a Great park day:thumbsup2, I hope you are able to go next year:goodvibes

So working on my packing list & I'm considering wearing workout pants in the parks. They are high quality active wear, but I would never wear them out & about (grocery, school, restaurant etc.) at home. Only to walk/rollerblade at the park. What do you think? I mean its a vacation after all, but I'm willing to hear out the dissenters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter