WDW Commando Club

Happy 4th of July! I am hoping for advice. If we watch illuminations at 9 pm in August , can we make 10 pm fantasmic if we have reserved seating? If yes, is best way to take boat or walk, or walk to swan and then boat? Thank you

Happy 4th of July! I am hoping for advice. If we watch illuminations at 9 pm in August , can we make 10 pm fantasmic if we have reserved seating? If yes, is best way to take boat or walk, or walk to swan and then boat? Thank you

I would go with a 10-15 minute walk from Epcot to BWV and 15-20 min from BWV to DHS. But, that is a leisurely walk. You would need to add some time in to account for the crowds exiting through the IG as well as from the entrance of the DHS to Fantasmic.

I'm not sure if they run a direct boat from Epcot to DHS. I'm guessing the boats will take a little longer in loading extra people and dropping off at the next resort. Is there a certain time you have to check in at Fantasmic to get the reserved seating? Can you make that in time?

Thank you for the incredibly quick reply! I hadn't thought about all the boarding because of the end of day. I think you are completely right. I haven't ever walked from BWV to DHS, but I knew there is some way to go. It has been a long time since I did fantasmic, but it seems irresistible with that timing though. I think they said get there 30 min before, but it seems like 10 years ago when we did get there early that people getting there just as it was starting were getting seated really close to us. I was also hoping that the 10 pm show wouldn't be very crowded on August 17th?

Lets see figure Il is over about 9:15-9:20, then a few minutes to get out of the park, if you walked to HS it has got to be a good 20-30min and remember this would be at night, if you took the boat it would make 3 stops before HS and providing you didn't have to wait for one to show up at Epcot (waiting for the boat could take up to 15mins:crazy2:), now with the stops that the boat makes you will probably be able to beat it walking especially if you would have to wait for one to arrive at Epcot.

Then once you get to HS you have to get through the gate and get to Fantasmic, I'm not saying it can't be done but it would be way too tight too be too comfortable with, a couple minute delay could throw off everything:confused3

I find great joy in being one of the first people at a turnstile for rope drop but have lost my touch for this our last couple trips. Can anyone give me an estimated time to arrive at the 4 parks to be near the front of the pack (all 9am non-EMH days in mid/late July)? We are staying at BWI so will walk to Epcot's IG & DHS. Would it be possible to get near the front at AK & MK by taking the first bus or will we need to drive? Thanks- love this thread!!

At HS they were letting everyone in around 15-20mins early and skipping the RD with some rides open early, I don't know if this is still the case but they were trying that last year:confused3

For AK I do have a little trick, but once again I don't know if it will work now since they started the Magic bands (haven't been in there since they started the new system:confused3), but I have done this on past trips, there is a entrance gate in Rain Forest Cafe you go through the store go outside to the playground or whatever it is then there is a entrance, every time we entered that way there was no one waiting to get in it meets with the path next to the bathrooms over by guest relations, if they still let you in that way you would have a little jump on everyone:confused3

I would go with a 10-15 minute walk from Epcot to BWV and 15-20 min from BWV to DHS. But, that is a leisurely walk. You would need to add some time in to account for the crowds exiting through the IG as well as from the entrance of the DHS to Fantasmic.

I'm not sure if they run a direct boat from Epcot to DHS. I'm guessing the boats will take a little longer in loading extra people and dropping off at the next resort. Is there a certain time you have to check in at Fantasmic to get the reserved seating? Can you make that in time?

Lets see figure Il is over about 9:15-9:20, then a few minutes to get out of the park, if you walked to HS it has got to be a good 20-30min and remember this would be at night, if you took the boat it would make 3 stops before HS and providing you didn't have to wait for one to show up at Epcot (waiting for the boat could take up to 15mins:crazy2:), now with the stops that the boat makes you will probably be able to beat it walking especially if you would have to wait for one to arrive at Epcot.

Then once you get to HS you have to get through the gate and get to Fantasmic, I'm not saying it can't be done but it would be way too tight too be too comfortable with, a couple minute delay could throw off everything:confused3

Thank you for the incredibly quick reply! I hadn't thought about all the boarding because of the end of day. I think you are completely right. I haven't ever walked from BWV to DHS, but I knew there is some way to go. It has been a long time since I did fantasmic, but it seems irresistible with that timing though. I think they said get there 30 min before, but it seems like 10 years ago when we did get there early that people getting there just as it was starting were getting seated really close to us. I was also hoping that the 10 pm show wouldn't be very crowded on August 17th?

I would watch Illuminations from somewhere close tot he exit in England.
We stayed at the BW last October. I'm fairly certain that the boats go to the BW and then over to Swan & Dolphin. We took the boats a few times for fun. We walked more oftent han not. We ALWAYS beat the boats.

The walk from our part of BWV was < than 15 minutes with 2 kids. I would say if we were in a rush 10-12. So to give yourself time, assume 10 minutes from EPCOT to get over to the DHS walkway and another 15 to get to DHS.

Given that you have reservations, I think you'll have time to watch the fireworks at EPCOT and then scoot over to DHS for Fantasmic. And you can always bug otu of Illuminations a little early if need be.
As far as how early you need to get there, personally speaking, we've never had to get there super early. With the reserved seats, you just show them your reservation and you go into the designated seating area. I've never had a bad seat.

Perfect! Thank you, that was just the information I was looking for!

I was playing with the FP+ I had originally had and found that you can modify the times:cool2:, so I tweaked them a bit and now have earlier FP+'s now they all are set up that the next one starts as soon as the 1st one's time window ends, so by 1pm or earlier I will be at the FP Kiosk making a 4th and so on:cool1::thumbsup2

I am finally out of school for the year and my trip to the UK is almost completely planned and upon me, and my best friend calmly suggests that maybe we should do disney again considering its been a minute. Plus Harry Potter is expanding....without blinking I went sure and then set upon DH and he surprisingly said yes! So yeah I have two months, 3 weeks of which I will be out of country to plan a disneyworld trip....hahahaha...not my style...but hey I am going to be there so screw it! Here goes nothing. I don't know everything that has changed in the last 2 years so help me! Please....hahahaha...I have kept up a bit on the magic bands and FP+ but am way behind compared to where I normally am.

First Disney World trip trying commando in the mornings and more chill afternoons. Hubby and I will arrive at All Star Sports Oct 26th.
I'd love anyone's opinions about our first park day itinerary below. I'm unsure on times of how long rides take and walking from one to the next, so tips from you pros are needed. So excited!

Magic Kingdom Oct 27th 2014

RD. (Worried I won't be allowed to go to Frontier Land since they're funneling everyone to 7DMT)
9:00 head to/ ride BMTRR
9:15 Splash mtn
9:40 (?unsure of how long splash will take, and walking) Go ride POTC
10:00 jungle cruise!

Walk to Aloha isle and try dole whip

10:45 IASW
11:00 fastpass (hopefully) peter pans flight
11:15 eat with fastpass at BOG
12:15 Fastpass (hopefully) 7DMT
12:35 (? Unsure of time) Fastpass hopefully for Little mermaid ride

Now get another fast pass, and/or go meet Gaston, get some Lefous brew.
Rest by Rapunzels restrooms
Maybe monorail (or boat if possible) to Kona cafe for some good coffee. *Good Coffee tips needed*

Ride Carousel of progress and people mover only cause we can relax and it's cool, aren't they? Haha. I also have heard Theresa on Dis podcast talk about these an I wanna see them now.

Hang out in main street, catch Dapper Dans maybe some parade. Eat popcorn, snacks. I dunno, shop?

We have dinner at Cindy's castle at 8:30!!! Then fireworks!!
What do you all think of the plan? Any tips for the afternoon? Ideas on times at RD? Any advice at all is great!

Also I want to relax on Tom Sawyers island but are there snacks to buy or seating on it??
Yay! So excited!!:)

I am finally out of school for the year and my trip to the UK is almost completely planned and upon me, and my best friend calmly suggests that maybe we should do disney again considering its been a minute. Plus Harry Potter is expanding....without blinking I went sure and then set upon DH and he surprisingly said yes! So yeah I have two months, 3 weeks of which I will be out of country to plan a disneyworld trip....hahahaha...not my style...but hey I am going to be there so screw it! Here goes nothing. I don't know everything that has changed in the last 2 years so help me! Please....hahahaha...I have kept up a bit on the magic bands and FP+ but am way behind compared to where I normally am.

A trip to WDW is better than not a trip to WDW. Since it is just you and your best friend, you may just consider the single rider line. You may not ride together, but you may get same ride or the one after.

First Disney World trip trying commando in the mornings and more chill afternoons. Hubby and I will arrive at All Star Sports Oct 26th.
I'd love anyone's opinions about our first park day itinerary below. I'm unsure on times of how long rides take and walking from one to the next, so tips from you pros are needed. So excited!

RD. (Worried I won't be allowed to go to Frontier Land since they're funneling everyone to 7DMT)

Maybe monorail (or boat if possible) to Kona cafe for some good coffee. *Good Coffee tips needed*

Ride Carousel of progress and people mover only cause we can relax and it's cool, aren't they? Haha. I also have heard Theresa on Dis podcast talk about these an I wanna see them now.

Hang out in main street, catch Dapper Dans maybe some parade. Eat popcorn, snacks. I dunno, shop?

What do you all think of the plan? Any tips for the afternoon? Ideas on times at RD? Any advice at all is great!

Also I want to relax on Tom Sawyers island but are there snacks to buy or seating on it??

It's a good plan. I try to avoid walking back over myself. Thus, you'll be at the end of the park at Fantasyland and have to walk all the way to the front to exit to get boat or monorail to Poly for Kona. But, if that is what your time allows then go for it. The Kona Press Pot is awesome. Also, you only have 20 minutes between 7DMT and Little Mermaid. You'll have the hour window, but don't be late for 7DMT.

Here is plan #1, which is I can now see is pretty much a definite no, I don't know how but I missed placing BOG in this one. :confused3 Friday Day 1: Arrival § Arrival via ME § Lunch @ WGP ($15pp) § Sightseeing around DTD § Resort down time (*Optional: Disney Quest/Splitsville) Saturday Day 2: MK/Epcot § 8:05a.m. Breakfast @ Crystal Palace ($23pp) § MK touring § 11:45a.m. Parasailing § Food and Wine § Late Dinner @ Marrakesh ($40pp) Sunday Day 3: Epcot § 7:30a.m. Breakfast @ Boma ($31pp) § 9 a.m. Church @ Main Gate COC § 10:15a.m. RP Experience § Food and Wine § 8:45p.m. Dinner ***time to see fireworks @ Cali. Grill ($60pp) § (*Optional: EMH/Disney Quest/Splitsville) Monday Day 4: AK/BB § 8a.m.AK EMH RD § Tour AK § 10:30a.m. Breakfast @ Tusker House ($25pp) § Tour BB § 8p.m. Dinner @ Ohana ($40pp) § Fireworks and shopping Tuesday Day 5: UIOA (US and UIOA should be Tu or Th, check event calendar) § 8:15a.m. Mears Shuttle to UIOA for 9a.m. RD § Lunch @ Mythos § 8p.m. Dinner @ Shulas § Resort down time (*Optional: Disney Quest/Splitsville) Wednesday Day 6: DHS § DHS RD § 11:30a.m. Lunch @ Dine w/ an Imagineer ($165) § 3:45p.m. Wanyama Safari (Includes Dinner @ Jiko)($406) Thursday Day 7: US (US and UIOA should be Tu or Th, check event calendar) *Transfer to BLT § 8:30a.m. Mears Shuttle to US for 9a.m. RD § Lunch @ Finnegans (reserve on Open Table) ($20pp) § Late Night Club Hopping on City Walk Friday Day 8: AK/BB § AK RD (AM EMH only) § BB § Lunch @ Earl of Sandwich ($10pp) § 5:15p.m. Dinner @ Mama Melrose ($40pp) § 6:30p.m. Fantasmic! Priority Seating Saturday Day 9: MK § 7:45a.m. Breakfast @ Kona (Based on 9a.m. RD) ($20pp) § 9a.m. MK RD § Lunch @ § MK touring § 7:45p.m. Dinner @ Chef Mickeys ($36pp) § (*Optional: EMH/Disney Quest/Splitsville) Sunday Day 10: Departure § Breakfast @ TBD (The Wave?) § Shopping § Noon Lunch @ Sanaa ($40pp)

Where can I do Parasailing!?!?! Is this at Disney?

A trip to WDW is better than not a trip to WDW. Since it is just you and your best friend, you may just consider the single rider line. You may not ride together, but you may get same ride or the one after. It's a good plan. I try to avoid walking back over myself. Thus, you'll be at the end of the park at Fantasyland and have to walk all the way to the front to exit to get boat or monorail to Poly for Kona. But, if that is what your time allows then go for it. The Kona Press Pot is awesome. Also, you only have 20 minutes between 7DMT and Little Mermaid. You'll have the hour window, but don't be late for 7DMT.

Great tips thank you. I think I'll try for a bit later FP for 7DMT. Do you, or anyone, know if I have a FP for mine train do I still have to wait awhile? I'm concerned there will be so many people with FP that I may have to carve out 30 minutes just to wait. This is fine I suppose, just want to be prepared.

Where can I do Parasailing!?!?! Is this at Disney?

You can do it from the Contemporary Resort. There is outdoor desk in the back between the dock and the pool where you can get those. I'm not sure if you book in advance or not - never done it.

Great tips thank you. I think I'll try for a bit later FP for 7DMT. Do you, or anyone, know if I have a FP for mine train do I still have to wait awhile? I'm concerned there will be so many people with FP that I may have to carve out 30 minutes just to wait. This is fine I suppose, just want to be prepared.

I haven't been yet since they opened the ride. It might be easier to push back your time on Little Mermaid. I don't remember when you were going or if you already made them. Get 7DMT first and arrange the others afterwards as that may be limited.

You can do it from the Contemporary Resort. There is outdoor desk in the back between the dock and the pool where you can get those. I'm not sure if you book in advance or not - never done it. I haven't been yet since they opened the ride. It might be easier to push back your time on Little Mermaid. I don't remember when you were going or if you already made them. Get 7DMT first and arrange the others afterwards as that may be limited.

Wow thank you! Going to do everything you said:) we haven't got FP yet as our trip isn't until October.

:welcome: You are member #262:cool1:, I will be going to WDW in about 2 weeks for our 3rd trip in about 100 days:good vibes, so this is what I have observed, if you turn left at Caseys at RD you should have no problem getting to Frontierland, as far as FP+ you have the big 3 that run out of FP, they are 7DMT, Frozen Princesses & Festival of Fantasy Parade:eek:, Now if you can get a A.M FP for 7DMT or if you are interested in meeting the Princesses go for it, but I've gotten some really late times for these and was not able to modify the times and the time I got I would already be at another park so this is what I have done in the past and am doing in a couple weeks:confused3

I made FP's for Splash Mountian, Big Thunder Mountian & Space Mountian in the mix but since I will be a RD a few Times I added JC, Space Ranger Spin or Peter Pan into it, The main plan is to hit 7DMT at RD, but why would I do something like this it's because I found I can get other choices back to back on the FP+ after some modification and therefore maximizing the day by getting more FP's after that by 1pm, if parks are open till say 12am that is a lot of FP+'s you can rank up during the day:thumbsup2 I've had ones already that were ready to use by the time we got from the kiosk to the ride:thumbsup2

Now as far as the Parade or Fireworks maybe if you try later in the day if you want to see them from those areas (I tend to stay away from those spots), considering the are all later in the day if you make them as your original FP+ choice you will be ripping yourself off if you make the other 2 for the A.M. since you can't make anther FP choice till the 3rd one is used, Now you would be looking at 3:30 or later:scared1:

:welcome: You are member #262:cool1:, I will be going to WDW in about 2 weeks for our 3rd trip in about 100 days:good vibes, so this is what I have observed, if you turn left at Caseys at RD you should have no problem getting to Frontierland, as far as FP+ you have the big 3 that run out of FP, they are 7DMT, Frozen Princesses & Festival of Fantasy Parade:eek:, Now if you can get a A.M FP for 7DMT or if you are interested in meeting the Princesses go for it, but I've gotten some really late times for these and was not able to modify the times and the time I got I would already be at another park so this is what I have done in the past and am doing in a couple weeks:confused3 I made FP's for Splash Mountian, Big Thunder Mountian & Space Mountian in the mix but since I will be a RD a few Times I added JC, Space Ranger Spin or Peter Pan into it, The main plan is to hit 7DMT at RD, but why would I do something like this the because I found I can get the other choices back to back on the FP+ after some modification then can maximize be getting more after that by 1pm, if parks are open till say 12am that is a lot of FP+'s yopu can rank up during the day:thumbsup2 I've had ones already that were ready to use by the time we got from the kiosk to the ride:thumbsup2 Now as far as the Parade or Fireworks maybe if you try later in the day if you want to see them from those areas (I tend to stay away from those spots), considering the are all later in the day if you make them as your original FP+ choice you will be ripping yourself off if you make the other 2 for the A.M. since you can't make anther FP choice till the 3rd one is used, Now you would be looking at 3:30 or later:scared1:

I feel so official now thank you!

Thanks for the tips! I have some decisions to make. With it being our first trip I kinda don't want to spend our very first hour in MK waiting for the mine train ya know? Just want to move it shake it to some good tried and true rides. Oh decisions...;)

I feel so official now thank you!

Thanks for the tips! I have some decisions to make. With it being our first trip I kinda don't want to spend our very first hour in MK waiting for the mine train ya know? Just want to move it shake it to some good tried and true rides. Oh decisions...;)

With MK it's the draw of the cards for FP's, now for HS & Epcot they have tiers, this is some serious choosing:crazy2:, but AK is a piece of cake:thumbsup2

Hi there! I'm sooooooo glad I found this thread! I had no idea that my method of planning our Disney trips had a name - I like it! I've gone to WDW 6 times in the past 3 years, went twice in 2011, twice in 2012, once in 2013, and once in 2014. I went more often when I lived in FL, but now that I've relocated to VA, it's been pared down to once-yearly.

I have spreadsheets for every little detail: vacation packing list, itinerary (includes wake-up times, park hours w/EMH, bus times, flight info, confirmation numbers for flights/hotel/ME/etc), vacation savings plan, etc. I even plan free time, and always was told that it was weird that I did that, but now I know it's perfectly normal! When you're only able to squeeze in a <one week trip that includes a runDisney race (if not two!), you kinda have to be serious planning commando! :)

So awesome that you are planing ahead Commando style! BAM :thumbsup2

I always tell people that the key to a successful trip at WDW is to have a plan, but be flexible.
Keep in mind, rides have interruptions, waits are longer than expected, someone wants to <GASP> stray from your master plan! The nerve of these people!

When you look at your plan and the times, don't paint yourself into a corner. If you try and hold to times too tightly (aside from actual FP+ and ADRs) you may find yourself exhausted and if things don't go as planned, frustrated and cranky!

The major upside to our Commando approaches is that it reduces our wait times SIGNIFICANTLY! You'll be surprised at how many guests show up and are clueless about rides, FP and a myriad of other things that we have all researched to the nth degree!

There are some great planning apps out there. Have you used any of them yet?

Welcome aboard and happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter