WDW before or after cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by emilykarpinski, Jan 6, 2013.

1. emilykarpinski

emilykarpinski Earning My Ears

Fresh off our NYE Dream cruise (amazing!) my family and I are now turning our sights to our July 20th 7-night Fantasy cruise. We're all very excited but we are strongly considering visiting WDW too to check out the new Fantasyland and such. However I'm not sure what's a better idea, three or four days at WDW before the cruise or after. Has anyone done both, which one is better? Would we enjoy going before or after more?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AudreyKThompson

AudreyKThompson Disney Diva

There are highlights to both, and we've done both, and this year we are cruising first and WDW after . . . but I recommend the reverse. WDW first gets you very excited for all of the Disney magic, and the cruise then allows you to relax after the hectic park days while still enjoying the Disney touches . . .

As a counterpoint, going after keeps the magic alive and lessens the sting of having to leave the ship, but that is more valuable for the shorter cruises.

4. zippyzo

zippyzo Mouseketeer

We always do the parks after, but as we are flying from the uk we find the cruise helps us combat the jet lag. Then we are ready for the long days in the park. It gives you something to look forward to when getting off the cruise ship

5. cleophus12

cleophus12 DIS Veteran

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Going to parks before the cruise is good because it generates excitement and you know you will have time on the cruise to relax. However, we like going to the parks afterwards because it extends the vacation. To me nothing is sadder that the last day of a cruise and knowing you will be back home that afternoon--probably doing laundry. By going to the parks, we extend the magic and the fun of the vacation.

6. aan1701

aan1701 DIS Veteran

We do both if our DCL cruise is round trip from PC. We like to fly midweek do what we do is go to WDW for a few days before and a few days after. They let us store bags at the resort as long as we are coming back to that resort. We don't like the early wake up the last day and then having to fly back to CA bring so tired. That's just us.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

7. whamma

whamma DIS Veteran

We've done it both ways (WDW before and WDW after different cruises) and it's great to have the opportunity to do both WDW and DCL on the same trip. We have discussed this at length as a family (DH, DS15, DD10 and me) and we would choose to go to WDW first and then DCL. The cruise is relaxing--WDW is a busier for us. We'd rather run around and be crazy at WDW then relax on the cruise. I would think this would feel especially true after spending 7 nights on a cruise.

8. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

I prefer to go to WDW before and after a cruise! :teeth:

9. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

We've done it both ways. I prefer WDW first. If a flight is late, luggage lost, or whatever, I'd rather miss a few park hours or a day rather than literally missing the ship. We've had flights get in 4 hours late (on the way to the parks), and a suitcase lost (not same trip). It's just easier to deal with on land.

Also, the parks are hectic. The cruise is totally relaxing.

10. scooter7487

scooter7487 Where Dreams Come True

We do the same!

11. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

We visit the Parks first. I tend to have a bit of motion sickness and don't want to chance "sea legs" or a queasy stomach on a ride.

12. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

We are taking our first DCL cruise in December and are doing WDW before and after the cruise. We would add at least 1 day prior to the cruise as I'm not comfortable flying in the day of the cruise for fear of a delay and I know I won't be ready to fly home after getting off the ship, so going to WDW before and after is the best of both worlds :goodvibes.

13. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

There is no way I'd do the heat and lines of the park after being on the cruise, at least not with any sense of being happy about it.

14. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

We loved the parks in January after our cruise, but OP is talking about going in July. Sorry, but the July heat and the humidity were too much for us, even when we were much younger. We had to take a break and go to a movie to enjoy the A/C.

15. Princess Bette

Princess Bette DIS Veteran

I would do WDW first, esp. since it's July. You can rest relax on the cruise after the hustle and bustle of the parks! Sounds fab - enjoy!

16. GusGus77

GusGus77 DIS Veteran

We did the parks after our last cruise. We won't be making that mistake again! The cruise spoiled us and it was hard to adjust to WDW afterwards. This year we are doing the parks first and THEN the cruise.

17. jujubiee4

jujubiee4 Earning My Ears

We are doing both this year with the park being first. I don't think i would do both again though because it seems twice as stressful with planning and time off , airlines, cruise and park scheduling etc..

However it could be just me since we are going so close after Christmas and that was hectic enough.:)