WDW bans sex offenders from theme parks

:thumbsup2

I do have to admit that I thought of those people on these lists who, at the ripe old age of 18, had sex with their 15 year old GF. To those "Sex Offenders" - I'm sorry that this will affect you. :(

To all those skeevy, nasty, disgusting people who love kids the wrong way - buh buy! :wave:

Thank you Disney for finding a way to help protect the kids at WDW. Hopefully we'll see a decline in the news stories about "bumping/brushing kids in the pools" and/or "accidentally" having a bathing suit malfunction. :furious:

I can't see this working as much more than a publicity thing.

They don't run the name of EVERY visitor to the parks through a security check. They don't know the name of EVERY person buying a ticket.

It'sWDW4me said:
:thumbsup2

I do have to admit that I thought of those people on these lists who, at the ripe old age of 18, had sex with their 15 year old GF. To those "Sex Offenders" - I'm sorry that this will affect you. :(

To all those skeevy, nasty, disgusting people who love kids the wrong way - buh buy! :wave:

Thank you Disney for finding a way to help protect the kids at WDW. Hopefully we'll see a decline in the news stories about "bumping/brushing kids in the pools" and/or "accidentally" having a bathing suit malfunction. :furious:

I agree about the ones who are being punished for a little mistake. And usually its the parents crying rape cause they don't like the BF.

I also agree with the PP I don't see how this will work. You can buy tickets so many ways.

seems like this would only work for annual pass holders where they have your name and address...

If you buy a package your name gets added to the reservation and put on you KTTW. But I don't think there is enough info from a first and last name to actually identify if this is the John Smith who is a registered sex offender.

StitchesGr8Fan said:
If you buy a package your name gets added to the reservation and put on you KTTW. But I don't think there is enough info from a first and last name to actually identify if this is the John Smith who is a registered sex offender.

And a few times on our trip my DD and I switched cards accidentally but had no issues getting into the parks. So there really isn't a solid system right now to prove name on the card is the person entering. Unless the CM standing nearby with the iPhone realized what happened and didn't care to say anything? Not sure what pops up on those iPhones besides the green OK to enter.

This is not a 100% system and no system is, but by report awhile ago there have been 75 predators kept from entering the parks and removed from the property.

It is effective in that Disney has the names and addresses of AP, resort guests, tickets sold by 3rd parties and the 50 states each have predator sites with names, addresses and pictures, listed the various crimes and degree of danger, to review. Please also note the sites are reviewed and the minor crimes, (E I teenager having sex with 2 years between them and small stuff) are having these names removed.

Add to that the WDW parks security and camera and facial recognition programs add to the net.

This is not a PR thing as Disney has not announced it or advertised it. The report that first had this was a news outlet.

Again true there are ways to get by it, but its a start and if it keeps our families a bit safer, I applaud Disney!:thumbsup2

AKK

This is not a 100% system and no system is, but by report awhile ago there have been 75 predators kept from entering the parks and removed from the property.

It is effective in that Disney has the names and addresses of AP, resort guests, tickets sold by 3rd parties and the 50 states each have predator sites with names, addresses and pictures, listed the various crimes and degree of danger, to review. Please also note the sites are reviewed and the minor crimes, (E I teenager having sex with 2 years between them and small stuff) are having these names removed.

Add to that the WDW parks security and camera and facial recognition programs add to the net.

This is not a PR thing as Disney has not announced it or advertised it. The report that first had this was a news outlet.

Again true there are ways to get by it, but its a start and if it keeps our families a bit safer, I applaud Disney!:thumbsup2

AKK

An excellent post.

I love that Disney is being proactive about keeping creeps out.

It'll last until somehow the system messes up and the wrong "John Doe" is kept from the parks and sues the crap out of Disney for denying him entrance and calling him a sex offender.

It'll last until somehow the system messes up and the wrong "John Doe" is kept from the parks and sues the crap out of Disney for denying him entrance and calling him a sex offender.

They WILL have to be careful of this.

My daughter own a business, and for kicks, many of us family members had her run background checks on us.

FIVE of us were flagged as sex offenders based on name. In order to get further information, we had to enter the number they gave us in an online database.

After doing that, it gave us addresses, photos, DOBs, offense dates, etc. None of us matched in age, some of the offenses having been committed before the "matching" family member was even born.

None of the middle names matched, we were most the wrong race, wrong physical description, and in my case, the wrong gender!! I was flagged because the full spelling of my first name contained in it the male's name. (exp. Stephanie, Stephen)

So, you are correct that just pulling name matches is not enough. I would assume they have a system for a more detailed comparison. The reason I assume this is that they actually started the sex offender ban many years ago (even though a current article was linked.)

Since my whole extended family has APs, I would think we would have been flagged by now if they were using a name only method.

They WILL have to be careful of this.

My daughter own a business, and for kicks, many of us family members had her run background checks on us.

FIVE of us were flagged as sex offenders based on name. In order to get further information, we had to enter the number they gave us in an online database.

After doing that, it gave us addresses, photos, DOBs, offense dates, etc. None of us matched in age, some of the offenses having been committed before the "matching" family member was even born.

None of the middle names matched, we were most the wrong race, wrong physical description, and in my case, the wrong gender!! I was flagged because the full spelling of my first name contained in it the male's name. (exp. Stephanie, Stephen)

So, you are correct that just pulling name matches is not enough. I would assume they have a system for a more detailed comparison. The reason I assume this is that they actually started the sex offender ban many years ago (even though a current article was linked.)

Since my whole extended family has APs, I would think we would have been flagged by now if they were using a name only method.

The sites I have seen all had name, address, age, description and a photo!

Also listed was the type offence and degree of danger.

In all fairness, we don't know which offenders Disney would consider a person as a threat and which would not be a threat. Would just being on a list mean your not allowed in?

However I agree with you both, it is something Disney security would have to be careful of and knowing how large and professional they are, my guess is they have gone over this carefully.

AKK

The sites I have seen all had name, address, age, description and a photo!

Yes, they do on all the sites. But, I'm guessing Disney would use some kind of database similar to a background check one. It would be way too time consuming to look up each individual like that.

My assumption is that they use the database, then, when people are flagged, they put the name through further process.

I'm all for this. But Disney will still allow the male couple to wear shirts that read, "Who's up for a B.J.? (Bear Jamboree).", and "Sweat is my pixie dust". Try explaining that to your eight year old.
My kids are never out of my sight in my own yard, much less a crowded place like Disney, so I know there is no chance of some sicko getting near them. But I have no control over the nasty stuff they read on people's shirts since they seem to feel entitled and impose their orientation on the rest of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter