WDW Attractions for the ride phobic, staunchly (think Footloose) religious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug74

Mouseketeer
My wife, I love her, but she is going to be a bit of a stick-in-the-mud on this trip.. :)

She's scared of heights/fast movement (she screamed to be let off a ferris wheel once), and wants nothing to do with anything to do with witches, ghosts, and aliens on religious grounds.. I'm even getting flak for suggesting we all go on Pirates of the Carribean.. Something about how they're bad role models, murderous thieves. (Jesus wept!!)

Is there going to be ANYTHING in WDW besides maybe the tamer slides at the waterparks that we can go on as a family (2 boys, 9 and 12)??

Thanks!

I was afraid you were going to say that.. LOL

Any slower moving 'rollercoasters', water rides?

The monorail and the ferry we'll be on for sure.. Soarin' might be ok.. Star Tours (I read that this was lame? how so?).. How are the water rides at AK?

Small world?

Nope, that one is out, because I think in the Mexico part of the ride, they show the kids depicting the Day of the Dead (sorry, I can't remember the true name).

Your wife sounds ~ fun. :) I think it is going to be a very long trip for you and your boys.

Carousel of Progress, maybe? :confused3

The monorail and the ferry we'll be on for sure.. Soarin' might be ok.. Star Tours (I read that this was lame? how so?).. How are the water rides at AK?

If she is scared of heights, Soarin' is out. Water ride at AK (Kali River Rapids) is out, too, since parts of it are fast (and down a slide at the end).

I think it is going to be a very long trip for you and your boys.

Oh we'll be fine, thanks (my eyes will be a bit sore from rolling I expect, but).

But it's not going to be very exciting for her, that's for sure.. Alot of sitting around with our backpacks and reading (guess what?).

I'll have to work in some stuff for us all to do besides eat..

Are you up in the air in Soarin'? I'll see if I can get good u tubes of some of these rides.. Kali I was hoping might be ok.. As long as we're close to the ground..

At MK Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Peoplemover, Speedway, Dumbo, Mickeys philharmagic, tiki room, Peter Pan maybe (this is elevated), laugh floor

At AK Safari, And the shows here

At Epcot Nemo, living with the land, figment, spaceship earth, Ellen's energy adventure (Dinos ok?), Mexico boat ride

HS do the shows, TSM maybe, muppet vision

Hopefully that will give you a fair amount to do, maybe she will warm up to stuff once you get there!

I don't think Star Tours is lame. It's a 3D motion simulator ride with a Star Wars theme. It's a little different everytime because the scenes are randomly picked. But it's probably out because of the aliens.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at MK doesn't have big drops and isn't very fast. Space Mountain is a slower coaster (I've read only 28 MPH) but I think it's rough ride. It whips you around a lot.

You and your DW should look up the rides on youtube and deicde what she is willing to do.

Good stuff, thanks!

But it's probably out because of the aliens.

She's okay with them, as long as they're not the violent, popping-out-of-your-sternum kind..

What's the DW?

Good stuff, thanks!

She's okay with them, as long as they're not the violent, popping-out-of-your-sternum kind..

What's the DW?

DW = Dear Wife

I think you will find plenty to enjoy together...many of the rides and attractions are fairly tame.

:sunny:

At Epcot Nemo, living with the land, figment, spaceship earth, Ellen's energy adventure (Dinos ok?), Mexico boat ride

Ellen's Universe of Energy starts with the big bang theory, not the creation theory.

No worries. You'll have PLENTY to do. Even if you ride nothing (and that won't be the case), you'd still have plenty to do with all of the shows, atmosphere to explore, entertainment, dining/shops, etc. Some of my favorite Disney days are leisure ones in which I explore the World Showcase or Animal Kingdom and just enjoy all of the atmosphere. :goodvibes

Epcot:
Spaceship Earth
Nemo
Living off the Land
Mexico

Soarin -if you are in the front row, you are probably about 30 feet off the ground, the third row is probably about 10 feet off the ground. They raise you in front of a huge movie screen and you are hangliding over the state of California. I love it!

Magic Kingdom
I don't like roller coasters, but I enjoyed Big Thunder Mountain. It is fairly short, and not overly fast, in my opinion.

Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Carosell of progress

I would avoid Space Mountain. Completely in the dark and extremely rough ride.

There are plenty of things to do. You all will have a wonderful time.

Ellen's Universe of Energy starts with the big bang theory, not the creation theory.

Good thinking, but I hope she's not going to be THAT lame! LOL

Googling Disney spa packages..

DW = dear/darling wife

*slaps forehead*

Epcot:
Spaceship Earth
Nemo
Living off the Land
Mexico

Soarin -if you are in the front row, you are probably about 30 feet off the ground, the third row is probably about 10 feet off the ground. They raise you in front of a huge movie screen and you are hangliding over the state of California. I love it!

Magic Kingdom
I don't like roller coasters, but I enjoyed Big Thunder Mountain. It is fairly short, and not overly fast, in my opinion.

Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Carosell of progress

I would avoid Space Mountain. Completely in the dark and extremely rough ride.

Soarin' and Big Thunder Mountain a maybe then.. :) finger's crossed!

Personally? I'd find a nice comfortable stationary church pew, leave her off and head to WDW. :rotfl: Glad you love her! :)

I'm afraid of heights. I enjoyed Soarin' even though sometimes I closed my eyes. I rode Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and BTMRR on my first trip years and years ago, but now I don't ride those. I rode Tower of Terror once when we brought our kids, and I rode Star Tours before the upgrade. That was after reading the Unofficial Guide thoroughly. We are big Twilight Zone and Star Wars fans, so I didn't want to miss out. There are plenty of shows that your DW will enjoy, OP, and you can all go through the pre-shows on the wilder rides and then she can go out the chicken exit. That's what I do now when I'm touring with my husband.

At MK Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Peoplemover, Speedway, Dumbo, Mickeys philharmagic, tiki room, Peter Pan maybe (this is elevated), laugh floor

At AK Safari, And the shows here

HS do the shows, TSM maybe, muppet vision

Hopefully that will give you a fair amount to do, maybe she will warm up to stuff once you get there!
Hi.

Interesting situation. I'll try to help.

Dumbo is up in the air.

And I don't know about spaceship earth as it refers to evolution. Even though it ends up focusing on the evolution of how we communicate, at the beginning of the ride there's significative reference to cavemen and evolution in general.

Also consider that if all those restrictions shorten your time in the parks, there are also other attractions in the area apart from WDW (I'm thinking Universal and IOA might also be ruled out - Harry Potter, Hulk, MIB, ET).

Will FLE officially open when you are there?

Your kids seem old enough to enjoy World Showcase. Even though we are not talking strictly rides, it may provide a great whole afternoon for the entire family.

The way I see it you'll be sharing mostly experiences and shows as a family, while being separated to enjoy most rides that may seem appealing to your kids. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as in the end my most beloved memories as a Family from a WDW trip have little to do with rides.

And let me tell you we have a lot of that type of planning because we can't go together on most thrill rides with our 2 year old.

Following this train of thought, you can also try and get some nice ADRs (budget permitting) which would enhance your activities in the parks as a Family.

Hope you get to come up with a great plan to maximize Family Fun!

Mx

Personally? I'd find a nice comfortable stationary church pew, leave her off and head to WDW.

The kicker is every time my dad (he's coming) suggests she just stay home ('is Svetlana coming?!' *acts suprised for the 4th time*) she gets offended, wants to go just to spite him.. LOLOLOLOL

you can all go through the pre-shows on the wilder rides and then she can go out the chicken exit. That's what I do now when I'm touring with my husband.

Hmmm... Good idea!

And I don't know about spaceship earth as it refers to evolution.

Like I say, hopefully she'll just be the one rolling her eyes..

Will FLE officially open when you are there?

FLwhatnow?

Your kids seem old enough to enjoy World Showcase. Even though we are not talking strictly rides, it may provide a great whole afternoon for the entire family

Yup, Epcot should be a hit with everyone.. Of all the parks this is the one we'll probably be hitting twice..

you can also try and get some nice ADRs (budget permitting)

We're doing the quick dining plan.. But if the mood strikes we'll ask the service desk at the park if there are any openings..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter