WDW around Christmas

Danno Magee

Mouseketeer
Alright, so I've been to Disney World several times and love it every time I go. However, every time I hav been, it has been during the summer. I know how to pack and what to expect. This year is a little different though. My parents decided to take me, my wife, and our daughter to Disney the week between Christmas and New Years. I was hoping that some of you that have been during this time before could enlighten me. What are the crowds like then? What sort of stuff should I pack? How cold does it usually get? Are the parks open pretty late or do they close early? What is the best place to be on New Year's Eve? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Danno Magee said:
Alright, so I've been to Disney World several times and love it every time I go. However, every time I hav been, it has been during the summer. I know how to pack and what to expect. This year is a little different though. My parents decided to take me, my wife, and our daughter to Disney the week between Christmas and New Years. I was hoping that some of you that have been during this time before could enlighten me. What are the crowds like then? What sort of stuff should I pack? How cold does it usually get? Are the parks open pretty late or do they close early? What is the best place to be on New Year's Eve? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

You are saying the week of Christmas to New YEars.... :earseek:

That is the most crowded time ever and the most expensive. It's called Holiday time.. That is when everyone is there. Not saying you can't get things done, but I say go for it. If I were you, I would suggest the 1st 2 weeks of December. You won't have any wait times really. Probably the best place for New Years eave is going to be MK or Epcot.... You will get different opinions...Good Luck...

Prepare to see the biggest crowds ever! We went once during that time-never again. It was awful. Yeah, people will tell you about the "magic" of Christmas time and the decorations, blah blah blah. I just want you to be aware--It is really crowded. I mean close the park early kind of crowds. I think the UG has many of the dates at 10s, most crowded time. After seeing, it I would have called it an 11.

With that in mind, if you are prepared to just browse around in elbow to elbow crowds and not ride much you will be okay. Weather can be totally unpredictable. Last year many post said that it rained a lot. The year before it was freezing cold, but on some days we wore shorts. You have to pack a lot more for the weather. Both cold and hot clothes. Parks are open late, but many are closed early due to capacity. Once you choose a park for New Year's, you had better stay there. We were at MGM one New Year's Eve. Very fun, but very crowded. We stayed all day and into the evening. I had been told that EPCOT and MK were much more crowded, so we chose MGM.

I figured this would be a very crowded time. I mean, they don't call it "Holiday Season" for nothing. It just ended up that it was only time everyone could work it out. I was afraid someone would tell me the weather was unpredictable. I was in Tampa 2 years in a row around New Years: one year was hot, one year was cold. Oh well. I think we'll be ok with the crowds. We all know that they are going to be there, so we are preparing ourselves. I'm not too worried about getting on a bunch of rides. Don't get me wrong, I want to go on some of them, but we are going to be taking our daughter and she won't be able to go on much. Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it.

I was there last year from Dec 26 to Jan 2nd and absolutely loved it . It was busy but with some planning it was managable. The parks are open much longer hours for that week. One park opened at 7 am for on site guests and some were open very late. MK was open til 1 am on Dec 30 and the 31st.
We had made PS's for our main meal most days and it was certainly worth having as the waits were at least 1 hour at most sit down restaurants without a PS. We went to MGM for New Years Eve as it is the least crowded of the parks. We were able to see the fireworks from Epcot at around 11:45 pm then watched the fireworks at MGM at midnight. The parks are the least busy on Jan 1 in the morning. We were able to go onto the rides with no wait at all until around 11 am at MK. I was thinking the trip would not be worth it before I went because it would be too busy but when I got on the plane to go back home on Jan 2nd we all said let's do it again next year!

Are more rides open during the holiday time than the first couple weeks of December? I ask this because I sometimes see "seasonal" written after a ride (in books).

Thanks in advance!

We were there during Christmas several years ago. That year it was cool in the mornings, warm to hot during the day, and cool in the evenings. I ended up packing for every possible temperature.

We also went the first week of January and despite packing jackets, we had to scramble to find hats and gloves as well. The first couple days we were there, the wind chill was around 20 degrees F. Then the last couple days we were there it was back into the 80's and we were wearing shorts.

Now before going anywhere, even if its just an hour away, I check the forecast on either weather.com or intellicast.com.

We were there for Christmas two years ago and it was freezing!!! :cold: I mean hat, gloves, layers of clothes, cold. However, we still did it all and LOVED it!!!! My dd was five then and she hung tough throughout it all and never fussed. The one good thing...the parks are packed but they stay open much later this time of year and, yes, things are doable. Get going early, stay late, use fastpass, etc. I do recommend having a plan, this time of year it seemed a bit harder to just wing it, although we did that too :banana: :banana: :banana:
At first I said, never again...guess who will be back the 16th-26th :rotfl: The week after we left I understand the temperatures went up and they had a number of days that were beautiful...mid 70s :sunny: . So, I say watch the weather channel carefully but definitely BE PREPARED!!! And, there is something very magical about being there for Christmas. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Catwub :Pinkbounc

Christmas is a great time to go, just have a plan!!! We have always picked out the 2-3 things at each park that wee must do and do those first. Then, anything else that you get to do is a bonus. Use fastpass and EMH and expect there to be crowds. We have found if you go with the right expectations and plans, it is still fun. Make your ADR at the 90 day mark and you will be all set. Also, don't forget to just enjoy the atmosphere of the resorts and the parks.

Like others have said, the weather can be very unpredictable. Be prepared for everything. Coats, gloves, hats and shorts, t-shirts, as well as stuff for rain.

Have a great trip and enjoy WDW during the Holidays!!!

Unpredictable is the only way to describe it. Not even just year to year, but also day to day and hour to hour. I've spent quite a few Decembers at Disney and the mornings are a bit chilly, it warms up in the afternoons while you're in the sun but gets chilly if the sun hides behind a cloud here and there, and then gets pretty cold at night.

Layers are your friend. Think tshirt (long or shortsleeved) with a sweater or sweathshirt over it that you can take off and wrap around your waist or shoulders or carry til it cools down. I'd also recommend, if trying to stay in the park all day, to take a coat and drop it off in the locker first thing as you enter the parks. I've seen it get into the 20º's in December. Not saying it's common - but it's not highly unusual for it to drop to the 30º's or 40º's when the sun goes down. And considering the time frame, the MK closes to capacity nearly every day that week so you'd be risking it if you wanted to plan on being able to run back to the room to grab more layers. I'd say this is one time to definitely take advantage of the lockers if you don't want to carry extra layers.

Oh, and the blankets in the Mexico Pavilion (also sold a few other places - I have one from Indiana Jones as well) are GREAT for cuddling under. Warmest blankets I've ever owned and MUCH cheaper than buying sweatshirts for everyone in the family. So if you get stuck without an extra layer, keep that in mind. They'd also be great for keeping in lockers and pulling out before getting a seat for parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, etc.

Big seller that time of year are those little self heating pads - you know the ones that you open, they warm up and you can shove them in pockets, shoes, etc? You can buy them for a dollar or two at Walmart and other stores and they'll sell out at $5 or more in the parks on nights it drops. They're small so they're easy to pack and last for a few hours - might want to consider having some of them handy.

MyGoofy26 said:
Layers are your friend.

I totally agree! There have been times when I was leaving to go to work in the morning and it was in the 40's, only to have it warm up to the high 60's to low 70's by lunchtime.

Thanks everybody for the information and suggestions. We are really going to take in the atmosphere and see what it's like down there at Christmas time. So we weren't really looking for a ride-packed vacation. It sounds like it will be fine. I guess I'll have to pack in the BIG suitcase for this trip though. It will probably be the strangest packing job I've ever done. Thanks MyGoofy26 for that tip on the lockers. I probably wouldn't have thought about that. That's a great idea to just drop some stuff off at the beginning and just get it when we need it. Thanks again everyone. I can't wait to go!!

Danno,

Yes, it's going to be packed...beyond packed really. But if you get to the parks about a half hour before they open each day (especially MK) you can accomplish some stuff in that first hour. You have the right attitude though, take in the atmosphere, enjoy the scenery. Use Fast Pass like it's your best friend. But do pack your patience....

I have only one word for you...YIKES!!! :sad2: That is one of the busiest, if not the busiest weeks of the year at WDW.

As far as clothing goes, you will run the gamut. Pack for Warm as well as cool. The chances are pretty good that you'll need a sweatshirt, long pants, or some kind of coat for the evenings, but I think it was somewhat warm during the days this past year.

As far as best place on NYE, if you don't mind crowds there are probably several selections. One of the obvious ones would be MK for midnight fireworks. Depending on if you're planning on being out with your daughter or not, DTD with all of their clubs could be a good choice as well. Again crowds would be the norm.

If you're staying in any of the Epcot Resorts, a nice side step could be either Atlantic Dance or JellyRolls on the Boardwalk.

I guess if you have it in your mind that you'll need to take a leisurely pace then you'll be ok.

Good Luck and ENJOY!!

Brian

Everyone has given you good advise. Will you be able to survive?, who knows it is so busy this time of year. Of course you will, this will be our 9th Christmas :cool1: :goodvibes :rotfl: Don't forget to resort hop and see all the great resort displays. Very importnat make your PS at the 90 day mark, if you don't you will be having dinner at 4 PM, or eating counter food all day, Use EE if you are on site and slow down to see all the magical holiday stuff. See you at WDW we arrive 12/24 -12/27. You can spot us we are the relaxed family with the look of determination on our faces :earseek: :rotfl: :earseek:

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure we hop around the resorts. Are there any particular ones I definately should not miss? Well we might pass by you for a day or two. We'll be the ones that step into the park, take a deep breath, and get a look of "Man, it's great to be back" on our faces.

We have always like the the displays at the Boardwalk. I believe it is made out of Gingerbread everyyear. Wilderness Lodge is supposed to be super with a Jumbo tree in the lobby. I am sure many on these boards have some great ideas. Have fun and enjoy :flower:

catwub said:
We were there for Christmas two years ago and it was freezing!!! :cold: I mean hat, gloves, layers of clothes, cold. However, we still did it all and LOVED it!!!! My dd was five then and she hung tough throughout it all and never fussed. The one good thing...the parks are packed but they stay open much later this time of year and, yes, things are doable. Get going early, stay late, use fastpass, etc. I do recommend having a plan, this time of year it seemed a bit harder to just wing it, although we did that too :banana: :banana: :banana:
At first I said, never again...guess who will be back the 16th-26th :rotfl: The week after we left I understand the temperatures went up and they had a number of days that were beautiful...mid 70s :sunny: . So, I say watch the weather channel carefully but definitely BE PREPARED!!! And, there is something very magical about being there for Christmas. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Catwub :Pinkbounc

Catwub....hi from me...met you in Virginia Beach middle of March....thanks for the great service!! We will be at WDW part of your trip...12/18 - 12/25. We are getting ready...apparently never know about the weather then...

Good to see you checking in and posting....did you ever find out about the Christmas tree thing? I'm thinking of getting a small one locally with decorations to send down to our resort...not sure though.

CYA round the DIS!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter