• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW and Universal split visit, move hotels?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
We are planning on a split visit to universal and Disney the first week if December. I keep going back and forth about moving hotels and doing some onsite at universal or just driving over from our hotel at Disney.

We plan to do both universal parks and are a party of 2 adults and 2 kids, both 7.

We want to spend time at Harry Potter, Seuss, transformers ride and minion mainly. Do we NEED the 1 hour early entry and express pass? Would love some opinions of those that did universal with young children. Thanks!

If you're going in early December, odds are crowds will be low.

That being said, I went in October when crowds were low (and plan on returning November) and absolutely loved the unlimited express pass.

Even if lines were less than 20 minutes long, being able to virtually jump over everyone and board rides repeatedly right away was fantastic. I think the longest wait we had was for Despicable Me, and that was probably 12-15 minutes.

If you can stay onsite, do it.It is absoutely worth it at anytime of year, and honestly, I wouldnt count on the crowds being low , especially in the Harry Potter areas.

So if we stay onsite, do we need express pass or just 1 hour early? Maybe we could do cabana?

So if we stay onsite, do we need express pass or just 1 hour early? Maybe we could do cabana?

Thats up to you.It is likely the new HP stuff ( and even forbidden journey ) do not take express pass .It is likely though that early entry will be helpful.That said, for us, there is no way we would ever go without express.We love it even in slow times.Instead of a 20 mins standby, it is pretty much walk on.Spoiled us for anything else.

We stay where we are going. Wdw area for wdw. Universal for universal. Though we have been known to run to IOA for a butterbeer while saying at wdw. And sometimes DTD for dinner or shopping while at uni.

For us the onsite benefits at uni are a million times better than the wdw onsite benefits.

Our first trip to orlando was late nov through mid December the year hogsmeade opened. It is lighter than other times but the further into dec you go the thicker the crowds get. This year with diagon alley...I would plan for crowds and be happy if that doesn't turn out to be the case.

Thats up to you.It is likely the new HP stuff ( and even forbidden journey ) do not take express pass .It is likely though that early entry will be helpful.That said, for us, there is no way we would ever go without express.We love it even in slow times.Instead of a 20 mins standby, it is pretty much walk on.Spoiled us for anything else.

:thumbsup2

I would also highly recommend staying at Universal if at all possible. Even the non-suite rooms are expensive and for the most part smaller than deluxe at WDW but that FOTL benefit is like a dream come true. And remember too that the new Cabana Hotel at Universal will have early entry but NOT the FOTL privileges and will require bus transportation for most people.

December 2014 will be our third onsite stay and we always go to Universal AFTER our days at Disney. I would never do the opposite since FOTL will definitely spoil your touring for anywhere else ever.

I like Hard Rock Hotel but DH likes Royal Pacific so it's back to Royal Pacific this time. And while most say that the standard rooms at HR and RP are fine for a family we found them small and are upgrading to a suite this trip for our three adults. Deals are harder to find for Universal but if you research a little you will see that the Universal room cost equates out to anywhere from $45 - $85 a day FOTL benefit per person in your party so I guess it isn't so bad.

Food options at the hotels vary and can be expensive so you may want to do some research on eating dinner in the parks or at City Walk.

I know you will not regret staying there versus commuting; we have done both and will never commute again!

We stay where we are going also. It just seems to waste less time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter