WDW Accessible Room Location Thread - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Room 1124 at the Yacht Club Resort. As close to the lobby as you can get. Is next door to the Mech Room, but not too noisy. Five steps to the ice machine, fifteen steps to the gift shop. Beautiful roll-out patio, can see the Epcot fireworks thru the palms. Has a queen bed, a twin daybed AND a sleeper/twin chair. Privacy curtain divides the room in half. Huge bath with proper roll-in shower with bars and shower chair. ADA details such as light switches, phone in bath, counter overhangs, pocket door for bath, proper widths make for a great room. The auto-door opening button was not working. VERY nice location. Hidden Mickeys to boot! ::MickeyMo

Private 1965,

Was this a standard accessible room, or was it considered a suite of some kind? It would be awesome to have an automatic door on the room (when it was working, of course!)

Juliah said:
Private 1965,

Was this a standard accessible room, or was it considered a suite of some kind? It would be awesome to have an automatic door on the room (when it was working, of course!)

We've had two accessible rooms at the GF and both had an automatic door. It was wonderful. One was in Conch Key with an incredible view of the MK. Third floor I think. The other room which we had twice was in Sugar Loaf. It was third floor for sure and faced the marina.

At BCV, the rooms that end in 25 are studios. We've had two and both were partially accessible with a large bathroom with tub. No closet in these rooms. There is an extra large armoire instead but I would think it would be tough to fit much in them. We were only in these rooms for one night so not sure.

We've also had fully accessible 2BRs at the BCV. From what I've been told, all these rooms are stacked just like the 25s. They face the BCV pool and are very close to the main elevators. They are lockoffs and the connecting door is in the living room which is different than the usual configuration at BCV.

I agree with Carol's comments about Rapa Nui in the first post. We've been in those rooms quite a few times and they are huge!

pugdog said:
The regular CRO can NOT make a reservation for a handicapped room. All requests have to go through special reservations.Y ou can't book a handicapped room online, you have to call special reservations. If you check the disabled box online you leave your contact info and special ressies will call you back.

The last couple of times I've made reservations for an accessible room with Disney Reservation Center, I've not talked with special needs directly. Instead, it has been handled just like it is with MS. The CM puts me on hold while she/he arranges the room with Special Needs.

anyone know where the full handicapped rooms are located at CR. Our CM said we were tenatively placed in 2 connecting wing rooms but she didn't specify north or south wing. Anyone stayed in either wing? What about accesible rooms in the tower?

BCV23 said:
The last couple of times I've made reservations for an accessible room with Disney Reservation Center, I've not talked with special needs directly. Instead, it has been handled just like it is with MS. The CM puts me on hold while she/he arranges the room with Special Needs.
Which is why you should just deal with special needs direct. Since they are the only ones who book the rooms why take the chance of going through a middleman and have the chance of something being booked wrong because CRO forgot something or said it wrong to special needs. :pug:

pugdog said:
Which is why you should just deal with special needs direct. Since they are the only ones who book the rooms why take the chance of going through a middleman and have the chance of something being booked wrong because CRO forgot something or said it wrong to special needs. :pug:

Well, for one thing because it is the way the system is set up now. Special services will call you back if they need to and I would imagine you could still request that. And in fact I did receive a call aboutone reservation I made this way. But I've had no problem using the new system. Of course, our needs are pretty straight forward. We need a room with a rollin shower. What's to mess up there. :confused3

And I would guess it changed because people were abusing the system. At any rate, my point was that you will no longer be transferred just put on hold.

we are still trying to find out which wing the fully accessible rooms are located in at the CR. Anyone know?

In February we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. The accessible room with a king bed and a roll in shower was room 8017 and connecting room with 2 queen beds was 8018.

BCV23
Do you remember what type of beds/daybeds the 2 rooms handicapped had at GF? Thanks!

BillSears said:
Bumping this up so we don't lose the information. Maybe it should be a sticky?
No fear of losing it.

There is a link to this thread in the post about resort information on the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

I also have some ways of getting to things that have disappeared off the visible pages of this board (I have secret ways to enter the invisible space).

TammySB said:
Could anyone point me in the right direction. My mother has a prosthetic leg and they are interested in staying at the Fort Wilderness campground in there RV, she is concerned with the amoung of walking to get to bus stops and the food area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or you could PM me. Thank You!! :teeth:

Fort Wilderness is accessible with their pathways and the way the campsites are situated, but distances can be a problem.

Your could check into renting a golf cart for getting around Ft. Wilderness and that would cut down on some of the walking to the bus stop and some of the internal walking from the bus stop to Trails End.

Also she could look into renting an ECV to scoot around Ft. Wilderness. They are slower than the golf carts, but she could skip the internal busses and just scoot around the campground to the external buses and also use it in the parks. (FYI, I use one to scoot around Ft. Wilderness and between waiting on the bus, the multiple internal stops on the bus, I beat the bus to both Outpost and Settlement from Loop 1500 just about every time.)

You can also request a site near a bus stop, but then you might be far away from a comfort station, and that won't alleviate the walk from the bus stop to Trails End or the Trading Post.

I don't remember if this is already in here or not, but room 4815 is an accessible Grand Villa (GV) at OKW. GVs have 3 bedrooms and 4 baths and can sleep up to 12 people.

You enter the GV right from ground level. The front door had a high and low viewer to look outside the door and there was a doorbell (a loud buzzer rang when the doorbell was pushed). There is plenty of manouvering space and my DD's wheelchair fit under all the tables without swinging away her armrests (the height of her armrests is about 27 and 3/4 inches from the floor). The kitchen has a roll under sink (because of that, it has shallower than usual sinks and has no garbage disposal). The stove has controls on the front.
The Master bed is about 6 inches lower than usual. It was approximately the level of the top of the seat on my DD's wheelchair (about 23 inches). The master bath had a roll under sink, toilet and a roll in shower with a fold down seat in the same room. There was also a 2nd showerhead which could be either used as a handhead showerhead or attached to a bar in the shower that allowed the height to be adjusted. There was a whirlpool and a sink in the other part of the bathroom, along with a closet, which had a lower bar and shelf that would be accessible from a wheelchair. A wheelchair could be driven up right next to the whirlpool and there was a sitting position right at the outside corner.
There was a 2nd bathroom with a walk in shower on the main floor. That bathroom was not accessible. The stairway to get upstairs had rails on both sides and had a landing halfway up (which was appreciated by my MIL and FIL who benefitted from both). The top floor had 2 bedrooms, with their own baths. The smaller bedroom (at the top of the stairs) had 2 full size beds. The other bedroom was a lot larger and had 2 queen beds, plus a lounge chair. Since the upstairs is only accessible by stairs, it is not wheelchair accessible.

The bus stop was right across the street from our front door and there were several handicapped parking spots near our front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter