WDW a "family Place"....HA!!!!

Michguy04

dad of twins
We are just wrapping up our first ever visit to WDW, and I have to admit the place is incredible.

Maybe the best marketing that Disney does is to convince you of what a great "family environment" it is. In the last 4 days I have seen more families that were:
a) Screaming at their kids.
b) Parents yelling at each other.
c) Parents refusing to talk to each other on the bus.
d) Adults being rude to each other....
(I ran into one at the pool, but that is another story....a lovely lady:rotfl2:)
e) Kids crying
f) you get the idea;)

Now we have also met A TON of friendly people, but until you have been here I don't think your realize how stressful this "vacation" can be.

It's been very memorable both good and "interesting", but I do look forward to coming back someday.

Guy

I have seen all of what you are talking about but thank goodness not a ton of it. I think it has alot to do with someone's vacation philosophy. We go to Disney all the time and for us it is a time to relax and have fun together. If we don't go on this ride or that, we don't care. No rushing around and my son is very easy going which helps even more! I am so happy that we can vacation that way.

Sadly, it may just be an accurate reflection of families in America. I am constantly amazed at the way parents talk to their children. Critizing or correcting them so others can hear (would you want your boss to correct you in front of your coworkers), using a hateful tone, snatching, grabbing and pulling their little arms.

And I am equally amazed at how spouses talk to each other. I work part time in retail and the way some of these people talk, it is obvious they don't LIKE each other.

Sometimes people are so much nicer to strangers than their own familiy.

The other day I commented to a woman about how sweet her daughter was, she appeared to be about 8. The woman replied, "Don't let her fool you, she is bad." :confused: Really? Well if she isn't I am sure she will be after hearing that over and over. Maybe she was kidding, I don't know, but wouldn't her daughter have rather heard her say, "Thank you, she is smart too and I adore her."

We are just wrapping up our first ever visit to WDW, and I have to admit the place is incredible.

Maybe the best marketing that Disney does is to convince you of what a great "family environment" it is. In the last 4 days I have seen more families that were:
a) Screaming at their kids.
b) Parents yelling at each other.
c) Parents refusing to talk to each other on the bus.
d) Adults being rude to each other....
(I ran into one at the pool, but that is another story....a lovely lady:rotfl2:)
e) Kids crying
f) you get the idea;)

Now we have also met A TON of friendly people, but until you have been here I don't think your realize how stressful this "vacation" can be.

It's been very memorable both good and "interesting", but I do look forward to coming back someday.

Guy

Umm...I think this all happened in my house just today. Add in heat, crowds, exhaustion, junk food, and constant overstimulation, and someone is bound to lose their temper every now and again. Personally, I am not a ray of sunshine 24/7 and I don't expect anyone else to be either. Remember, you are only seeing a moment in these folks lives.

This is why I am glad my DH wants to stay home next trip.:rolleyes1 He gets so worked up on our trips and has been one of those parents who was upset with the girls wanting to text more than just talk to us, or they would like to go do there thing when he is in the we need to do everything together mood. Then when the girls are doing things he isn't happy about it's all my fault. :sad2: I have the attitude it's all of our trip, they can have time to them selfs (they were 16 and 17 at the time and we can have our time. Then we can also have family time. I don't care if they text as they are still with us. It's how it is at home why be different?:cool2: I am just so easy going and he isn't. He really has no desire at all for Disney so it will be so much more fun with him home.:thumbsup2
Oh and my girls will be 19 and 21 plus my grandson who will be 2. :dance3:

Yep...seen it all!!! I think lots of people decide to go and then that's it! No planning...and try to push too much on the kids. Even if you get a stroller after you are in the park...it's a lot of walking just from the resort to the turnstiles,buses, monorails....people just don't prepare! Then they feel like they have to do it all since they forked out so much $$$. Kids are tired, parents are tired and frustrated and it's just a bad combination....I really wish more people would plan ahead....I hate seeing people scream at their little kids!

I've seen it all and yes its sad. Unfortunately children don't come with manuals and many people don't stop to think they need to learn how to raise them not just pop them out and go with it. which does work for some people but when it doesn't trust we can all see it.

Add in heat, crowds, exhaustion, junk food, and constant overstimulation, and someone is bound to lose their temper every now and again.

Definitely agree with this! I know on our first ever trip there were a few meltdown moments. I tend to be in a great mood at Disney, but I can see where the stress of it can get a person cranky, especially on their first trip when they are feeling overwhelmed. My uncle made up a song on our first trip, composed after overhearing another family's meltdown, had us :rotfl:

*When you wish upon a star* (Why do you always do this??)
*Makes no difference who you are* (One more peep and we're shuttin' it down!)
*Anything your heart desires* (You're lucky we're in public!!)
*Will come to you* (Enjoy it now, because this is your LAST vacation!)

:laughing:

Sorry... but it happens...Disney is a very HIGH stimuli environment.Add the heat, the crowds ,the cost ,the fact that it isn't home..and it is no wonder people can blow their top.My family has done it,it is nota proud moment for any of us, but I think it is rather unfair to judge a person by the 3 second snapshot you see of them in a themepark.Nobody is perfect

I agree that it isn't fair to judge anyone on the few seconds you see of their lives. I am not a perfect spouse or parent and my spouse and child aren't perfect either. Add a few too many hours of togetherness, a little bit of hunger or tiredness and most people snap once in a while.

I am happy for all of you who never have a cross word with your family in public, but I do not think most of us fall into that category.

It's difficult.

A lot of parents tend to forget to take care of the "needs" of the kids and only take care the "wants" of the kids.
Doing that will make the kids very whiny. And parents are scared to discipline their kids in public.

My kids know that every place got a couple of naughty corners. If they dont behave they will be put in that naughty corner.

Besides that, I'll make sure the kids get their rest, either in a stroller or in a hotel. Or just by taking a long long lunch in a sit down restaurant.

I've only been to WDW 3 times but I don't remember seeing a lot of this. Maybe it's because when I'm there I'm so high on my Disney crack I can't see beyond the huge smile on my face!:goodvibes The closest I've come to being an abusive parent at WDW is becoming such a child that I forget I have a child with me!:laughing:

Sadly, it may just be an accurate reflection of families in America. I am constantly amazed at the way parents talk to their children.

ITA

There is nothing wrong with discipline. Kids need discipline to learn and grow, but it needs to be done in a guiding, loving way. This instills confidence in the child.

Many parents associate discipline with punishment, and discipline with anger. This instills fear and insecurity. Many parents just don't understand that.

Discipline is a derivative of the word "disciple", which means: "a follower and student of a mentor, teacher, or other wise figure." To discipline is to teach, not to punish. Parents mix the two, and they shouldn't be mixed.

I wish every parent would be required to take a course child development and psychology before giving birth.

As wonderful as Disney is....it can't possibly control he temperments of the people who visit it. Unfortunatly there are unhappy, stressed, overworked, sick, tired, and just plain miserable people in the world....and yes they also vacation at Disney.
The trick is to not notice those people.

Where don't you see that?
I think all that happens with in 5 minutes of walking into the door of a Walmart.
I don't think Disney World can suck all the humanity out of it's visitors and make a bunch of imperfect people suddenly behave stepford perfect while on their vacations. I certainly don't think it takes away from the family friendly environment. I would say it wasn't family friendly if they didn't tolerate the occasional meltdown. What family with kids doesn't have those from time to time?

I remember one of our pre-marriage/no kids trips, we saw this family entering the park. The Mom crashed into the Dad with the stroller. The Dad started yelling. The Mom was half-apologetic (who can blame her the way she was being yelled at!)

It was 8:30 AM and we were walking through the turnstile to get into Magic Kingdom!!!!

We swore then that we would not be those parents. ;) I still think of them and COMPLETELY understand their frustration, and hope that I don't act that way.

In Dec we saw this Dad just outside of Pecos Bills at his wits end, he was carrying ballons, refillable mugs, stufffed toys and I think he even had the remnants of a melted mickey ice cream running down his arm. He yelled at the top of his lungs "that is it, I've had it!" He literally dropped everything he was carrying and said to his two sons "right here, right now, no holds barred, go at each other!" The children were horrified, staring at him with eyes as big as saucers, frozen on the spot. I guess his kids had been fighting so much he just lost it. We just kept walking and watched as his kids ballons floated away. I tell ya, I just think so many people save and anticipate for a Disney vacation and then try to cram it all into 5 or 7 days. It is pretty easy to "just keep going" or do "one more ride" until it isnt fun anymore. :confused3

... And I would venture to guess that most families have members who do most of things on one occasion or another.

I've never understood this bizarre romantic notion that "family time" is always sunshine and rainbows. Family members disagree all the time, and human beings lose their tempers. Yes, it's unfortunate when they do it in public, but "family members" don't have any more of a lock on anger management than anyone else. Children throw tantrums, parents lose patience, everyone is capable of being tired and sore and short-tempered as a result.

Most of the time I try not to judge strangers, because I have no idea what their issues may or may not be. I'm no candidate for a family court reality show, but I'm not perfect, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter