• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wax vs bleaching 13yo

descovy

DIS Veteran
My 13yo dd is self conscious about dark hairs on her upper lip (mustache)

Is waxing better than bleaching?

I bleach my dd's. I told her I want to take her to wax it because she shaved it twice:scared1: IT wasn't even that bad.:eek:
She doesn't want to wax although I really would love her to do those eyebrows.......which she has also tried to shave.:scared1:

She is going to be the death of me.

My 13yo dd is self conscious about dark hairs on her upper lip (mustache)

Is waxing better than bleaching?
I'd wax. Bleaching always makes me nervous because you don't know how your skin will react to the bleach. I remember a friend in high school bleached her upper lip and she had a very negative reaction to the bleach which drew more attention to the fact that she was trying to get rid of hair on her upper lip. :rolleyes1

You could also consider threading.

The difference is that with bleaching you will still have the hair except now you will have a white mustache instead of dark. It looks terrible. I don't care what anyone says you can still see it and it looks worse. I personally would get it lazered or have electrolysis done. Eliminate it completely. Good luck.

I bleach my dd's. I told her I want to take her to wax it because she shaved it twice:scared1: IT wasn't even that bad.:eek:
She doesn't want to wax although I really would love her to do those eyebrows.......which she has also tried to shave.:scared1:

She is going to be the death of me.

OMG! :lmao: DD15 did the SAME thing! all i could do was laugh and shake my head. she HATES plucking, but will do it when necessary. i bleach her "mustache" (her words, not mine, i didn't think it was that bad), and, once it's done, you can't even see the hairs.

I've been dealing with this since my teen years, and I can definitely say that bleaching only draws more attention to the area. While permanent hair removal is best, it's also the most expensive. I use wax strips (Sally Hansen) to deal with mine, but threading works well too.

If its a lot of hairs, bleaching will just give her a white mustache. If she has olive skin it will be very obvious. I say wax.

And I'm hearing good things about the NoNo for body hair. It's expensive, but could be an option for a long term solution.

I wouldn't do either. I use cream hair remover. It's by Nair and in the beauty section at Wal-Mart. I just used it yesterday (TMI) and it leaves a little redness but removes the hair painlessly! You just smear it on your upper lip, let it sit for five minutes, and then gently blot the cream and removed hair off with a damp washcloth.

Don't bleach it - it's still there and I was still self conscious about having a 'stache.

The difference is that with bleaching you will still have the hair except now you will have a white mustache instead of dark. It looks terrible. I don't care what anyone says you can still see it and it looks worse. I personally would get it lazered or have electrolysis done. Eliminate it completely. Good luck.

I would not put a 13 year old though electrolysis. It hurts like heck!!!! And can be very costly. Plus you would have to go a few times to really get it all gone and believe me it shows up again in the future.

Never waxed so I would think that would hurt too.

I might try the laser part though but again expensive and doing anything to your face you better find one that is good. I have had some really bad electrolysis done in my time.

I would not put a 13 year old though electrolysis. It hurts like heck!!!! And can be very costly. Plus you would have to go a few times to really get it all gone and believe me it shows up again in the future.

Never waxed so I would think that would hurt too.

I might try the laser part though but again expensive and doing anything to your face you better find one that is good. I have had some really bad electrolysis done in my time.

Well of course it hurts...beauty is pain don't you know? Or is it pain is beauty? Oh well....:confused3

I'd wax. Bleaching always makes me nervous because you don't know how your skin will react to the bleach. I remember a friend in high school bleached her upper lip and she had a very negative reaction to the bleach which drew more attention to the fact that she was trying to get rid of hair on her upper lip. :rolleyes1

You could also consider threading.

Hahaha... When this same dd was 10 she took scissors to her eyebrows and arm hair.

I certainly don't push what to shave, wax, etc... Just if it bothers her to come to me first. Don't handle it herself! She just started shaving her legs, so I was worried shed try to start shaving everything!

Poor girl gets my alabaster skin and dads dark Filipino hair.

I don't get bleaching - I get my lip waxed, and I'm blonde! I'd wax, but also look into something permanent if it's dark.

Dd16 has been getting her eyebrows waxed for a couple of years now, and she is platinum blonde.

Especially at her age, bleaching is the way to go. Have dealt with this my whole life (Italian heritage) & while I did wax when I was her age, a friend who owned a salon got me to switch to bleaching while still in high school. Was definitely better. You/she can do it at home when needed... super simple.

When waxing, the hair will start to show as it comes back in & you cant really wax again until it gets to a certain point.

Joleen is the best IMO http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/jolen-creme-bleach-kit-for-hair/ID=prod7174-product

I wouldn't do either. I use cream hair remover. It's by Nair and in the beauty section at Wal-Mart. I just used it yesterday (TMI) and it leaves a little redness but removes the hair painlessly! You just smear it on your upper lip, let it sit for five minutes, and then gently blot the cream and removed hair off with a damp washcloth.

This is what I do with my daughter.

I have IPL done on my face, but I'm not going to put her through that at her age. If she chooses to have something permanent done when she is older, that is her choice.

For now, the cream hair remover works fine.

I used to bleach but now I use the facial hair remover cream from Avon. I do it before I go to bed, make sure to splash lots of cold water on my lip, and slather my lip with Vaseline.
I love my Italian heritage except for that part! :lmao:

We shave it. Not the most popular answer here but it works.

One of these days we will go for laser but it is so expensive. We used to wax but that doesn't work as well if you have very dark vigorous growth.

The creams don't always work either, plus if you have sensitive skin it burns. I would go that route first and see if your dd can tolerate that.:thumbsup2

It is the bane of our existence.:rotfl:

Mouse House Mama said:

TOTALLY AGREE. The problem isnt with the color of the mustache, its the mystache itself! Id wax for sure. Or laser etc. I would not bleach. Its still totally noticeable!

Btw waxing might hurt but its only for a second. And its done! Threading sucks cause it feels like a zipper across your lip over and over. It hurts!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter