Wave Runners at Castaway Cay

lovethatdisney

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever taken the Personal Watercraft Eco Tour on Castaway Cay?

Is it pretty low key or do you have an opprtunity to 'zip' around a bit. I have a 16yr old son and he would get bored if there is no speed involved!
:dumbo:

Hopefully someone will answer this who has taken the tour.
Last week, I remember watching the tv in our room onboard. On one channel they went through the excursions on CC over and over again. If I recall correctly, for the Personal Eco tour, they emphasized that this was a TOUR and not a RENTAL. i.e. not a free for all to just zoom around. But I believe they also did say that they would get up to a good speed.
Hope that helps and hopefully someone with more knowledge will post.

DD 20 and DS 17 took it in Dec-they had a group of about 5 of them. They had an absolute blast and yes, depending on your leader they can let em rip once they get out in open water.

The Eco tour is fantastic! I've done it twice and both times, we ran between the stops at a pretty good clip. The 1st time, I was by myself and had no problems running at full throttle bet the 2nd time, I had my 9 year old son so we went a bit slower. One of the guides rides behind the slowest rider though so there's no worry about getting lost. They make 2 stops to talk about the ecology and origins of the Bahamas. I will be doing this again on our next cruise for sure! :woohoo:

:confused3
tstobb said:
The Eco tour is fantastic! I've done it twice and both times, we ran between the stops at a pretty good clip. The 1st time, I was by myself and had no problems running at full throttle bet the 2nd time, I had my 9 year old son so we went a bit slower. One of the guides rides behind the slowest rider though so there's no worry about getting lost. They make 2 stops to talk about the ecology and origins of the Bahamas. I will be doing this again on our next cruise for sure! :woohoo:

Tony, do you know the age limit for taking a young child with you on the waverunner? It sounds like an AWESOME time!

Thanks!

Personal Watercraft Eco Tour - Double (C-12)
Get to know Castaway Cay like a native! A knowledgeable guide will take you on a fascinating one-hour eco adventure via personal watercraft as you learn about the area's abundant marine life, unique ecology and storied history.
Activity Level: Moderate
For Ages: 8 And Up
Adult Price: $160 for a double
Child Price: $160 for a double
Duration: 1 hour
View Important Details

Personal Watercraft Eco Tour - Single (C-12)
Get to know Castaway Cay like a native! A knowledgeable guide will take you on a fascinating one-hour eco adventure via personal watercraft as you learn about the area's abundant marine life, unique ecology and storied history.
Activity Level: Moderate
For Ages: 8 And Up
Adult Price: $95 for a single rider
Child Price: $95 for a single rider
Duration: 1 hour
View Important Details

LCTsMom said:
:confused3

Tony, do you know the age limit for taking a young child with you on the waverunner? It sounds like an AWESOME time!

Thanks!
Does this mean that you are actually thinking of going? :scratchin

tstobb said:
Does this mean that you are actually thinking of going? :scratchin

I'd LOVE to do the waverunner but Teia's too young :( Bummer!!

I LOVED this! I could do it over and over! It was a highlight of our cruise. It did take some time getting use to driving and trading kids to balance the weight but I can't wait to do it again.

Here's something I posted when we returned from our cruise last April:

Castaway Cay Eco-Tour ( jet ski )
I HIGHLY Recommend this excursion!
Me, my husband and two daughters (11 & 12) took this tour.
Most of the other excursions were cancelled for the day because of high winds and choppy seas, but the jet ski tour was not.
We took the 1:00 tour.
DH & DD took one ski, me and DD took another. Our friend and his daughter, 9, also took the tour. We boarded the skis and took off out towards the ship. There it was Very Choppy (where the shallow bay water hit the deeper trench)! I would say the swells were about 6 feet, and we got A LOT of Air Time!
In fact, when we got right by the boat, which was really an awe-inspiring site to be Right Next to this huge ship while trying to navigate the choppy waves.

When we first got to the choppy part, I didn't quite throttle it enough.
I am Very Glad I wore my sunglasses because I wear contact lenses - Anyway, I didn't throttle it hard enough and we were finding ourselves at the bottom of these huge swells - Two of them crashed over us before I finally gunned it..... Once I kept my hand firmly on the throttle, we were skimming over the waves. It was so exciting!
The guide took us to the east side of the island. I thought we would have gotten off the ski and walked around a little, but we stayed out in the open water and he explained the eco-system of the island and how it formed. Then he pointed to an island way way out and I didn't hear what he was saying about it, but the next thing I knew, we were back to jumping the waves travelling AWAY from CC!!!! It looked like we were just going out into the middle of nowhere! About ten minutes later we came to a small sand island where we beached our skis and got off. He explained where we were and why that "island" was there. Very Cool

If you take a look at this google map that another DIS'er posted (site listed below), you will see CC and then the small sand island directly to its east, or to the right side of the island. It's a very small island shaped like the number 3.

Even though it was very choppy and we got a lot of air time, the experience was AWESOME! At first we were very nervous, but after a few minutes of riding the waves, we got used to it. Also, my daughter saw MANY sting rays and sea turtles in the water while we were riding. While parked at the sand island waiting for the rest of the tour to get off the beach, my husband said he had his ski on and thought the ski was going to run aground onto a large rock bigger than his ski. He was just about to throttle away from the "Rock" when it quickly GLIDED AWAY STRAIGHT UNDER HIS SKI!!!!! He swore it was a rock and he had absolutely no idea what type of sea animal could be so huge and so fast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter