• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wave phones?

butsy113

AKV Owner
Are there wave phones for everyone in your party? How do most people carry their wave phones around? Are there clips on them?

I've been looking at the wave phone cases available on Etsy and thought they might be a good idea for our family. I am horrible about losing my phone, so this would keep it close.

There are two in a room. They are like old 90's cel phones. They fit easily in my clutch purse, or in a pocket. I wouldn't think you would need a case for it.

there are two wave phones per room. You can rent extras from guest services. I think it was $7.50 a day for the additional phone but someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong ( I could be way off). I looked at the wave phone carriers on etsy but I do not know what my boys would attach the carrier to. I make sure my kids where cargo shorts with pockets that they can put them in. I do know that if you lose one it costs $350 ( almost happened to us). I share one with my DH and I carry everything in a small cross body bag. Large enough for phone small camera, and key to the world card.

We also lost one also- it was in DH pocket and slipped out into a lounge chair. Spent precious time of child in the nursery retracing steps to find that darn thing rather than enjoying a date night. From that point in it was always in a bag.

We found that we most exclusively texted with them. Now that we can text with the DCL app, we just leave them in the room. Dont want to chance losing or breaking one.

We also lost one also- it was in DH pocket and slipped out into a lounge chair.
Where do I start?
  • belt clip lacks a hook to secure. mine kept popping off in the theatre everytime I sat down. Even the spare tire could not secure it.
  • texting was a pain. I got my Blackberry every chance I got.
  • screen is super bright in theatre
  • discovered one cabin Wave phone had a broken ringer
  • kept butt dialing other cabins and receiving other butt dials
  • speed dial entries cannot be deleted
Looking forward to the Nav App for messaging on the next trip.

I wanted to share our not so great experience last week on The Wonder with the wave phones. Normally we sail just my husband and myself so no need for them, they sit on the desk. When we travel with our daughter and her kids, her and her husband carry them no worries for us.
Well last week we took our 2 grandkids sans parents and had to use the phones. My husband set it up and we brought the kids to the clubs our second night so we could go to Palo. We went to pick them up around 9:30, I see our 4 yr old granddaughter standing at the desk with the counselor and said hi. The counselor tells me that she sent a text around 9;15 to us. My husband checks the phone and there is no text. The girl asks for the phone and asks our room number, she looks and says "Oh this is the phone for the room across the hall". So the family that had the phone previously switched them somehow.
Our granddaughter did not go back to the club again. She said she was afraid we wouldn't pick her up. Last year she loved the club and wanted to go all the time. I felt bad she didn't get to enjoy it like her brother did.

So, if you use the phones check and make sure they coincide with your cabin number or you will not receive text messages from the clubs.
I am really hoping that these phones will become obsolete very soon and they will be able to use our smartphones instead.

I had mixed feelings about them. The phones are not the easiest to use. Texting is the old style kind so the younger kids don't really understand that. If you try to call, over half the time the reception is such that you can't hear what the other person is saying. They were nice to have for our older daughter who could figure out how to text. That's mainly how we communicated because of bad reception and also because often we would just plain miss the phone call.

So my clothing always had pockets so I had it in there most times. DD and DW had a swim bag they always carried around and had their phone in there. I could definitely see it falling out of the pockets for some people. It would be easy to do. I would say the easy thing would be to carry a small bag with your sunscreen and other things and put your phone in there.

Side note, I liked that we could text via the app however batteries die a lot quicker out there and I really didn't want my DD to lose her own phone. It's less hassle to have to pay for a wave phone.

They are outdated and not super intuitive, but we found them to be very handy and had no trouble with them. We either kept it in a string bag or in my husband's pocket. We got every text quickly from the kids club. The app wasn't fully launched when we sailed at the end of January so my phone didn't have the chat feature yet. I'm not sure I would have preferred my phone though since the battery dies so much faster than the wave phones (smartphones have such terrible battery life).

Tell me about the app. What does it do and how does it work? I'm afraid to have my cell phone on because I don't want to incur any kind of charges. We will also have kids in clubs and nursery and I want to know I can be reached.

You can chat with people from your party who also has the app installed on their smartphone. Set your phone to airplane mode, select "DCL Guest" and you will be connected to the app. Share your chat number with others in your group or give permission to chat to others in your room and you can chat back and forth. No charges at all. The only way you start incurring charges is if you open up your web browser. It will open up to the DCL page and giving you the options you may chose from for data plans. As long as you don't pick a plan, you are fine.

I am really hoping that these phones will become obsolete very soon and they will be able to use our smartphones instead.

Tell me about the app. What does it do and how does it work? I'm afraid to have my cell phone on because I don't want to incur any kind of charges. We will also have kids in clubs and nursery and I want to know I can be reached.

The Navigator app has a texting feature. It's fabulous when everyone in your party has a device that can get wifi. Turn off the cellular, and then just use the app's wifi option, and you won't get charged.

But the club and lab won't text you through the Navigator app; they still use the phones or Wave texts. So don't use it for the little ones. We love it because our son is 10 and he has a former phone (doesn't have a SIM) that does get wifi, so we're all in touch and HE can text us through the app when he wants to leave the lab (no we don't give checkout privileges to him at this time).

All that said, I'm not totally sure Magic and Wonder have the texting feature live on the app yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter