Waterspout off Castaway Cay

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by skylynx, Feb 19, 2013.

1. skylynx

skylynx DIS Sponsor

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Princess Denise

Princess Denise Mouseketeer

Pretty cool! Were people freaking out- if I didn't know what it was.... I would be!

4. wendyoconnor

wendyoconnor DIS Veteran

Fascinating and cool

5. m&mfamily

m&mfamily Mouseketeer

6. skylynx

skylynx DIS Sponsor

I think everyone was too busy running for their cameras to get freaked out. If it had headed towards us instead of away from us, things might have been different ;-) I was so fascinated I couldn't stop looking at it!

7. Lsugirl2508

Lsugirl2508 Earning My Ears

I saw it and took pics but kept thinking should we be worried? I asked a CM and he said he didn't know bc he has never seen one there before. Lol. Great pics and memories though. At least the sun came out for a little while after

8. phoenixleigh

phoenixleigh Mouseketeer

I also was there it was cool to look at the waterspout then we made our way to the end of the pier to see more of the waterspout and found our bartender, Andrae and had a hummingbird drink! Yummy!

9. dceks cruisers

dceks cruisers Mouseketeer

Wow, that's cool! We were there that day too but were busy snorkeling finding the hidden Mickey! It rained pretty good but we were snorkeling so it didn't matter all that much. :)

We went parasailing in the afternoon and it was fun in the misty weather. I got dunked twice (asked for it!) and each time the ocean felt like the best bath water. Despite the not so sunny weather as we hoped for, Castaway Cay still offered up a great day and now a bonus to see this video! Thanks for sharing!

10. magrudersmakes3

magrudersmakes3 DIS Veteran

We had a twin spout on our 2011 cruise. You are in such awe that you kind of forget to be worried. Glad everyone was ok!!

11. MaleficentRN

MaleficentRN DIS Veteran

:eek: Awesome!
    We saw one on our sea day. It was about a half mile out, though.

12. RedSox68

RedSox68 DIS Veteran

Wow, 9 times at CC and never seen one. That's great footage. it looks like it was very cold that day!

13. policycobb

policycobb DIS Veteran

:scared:
    I would have had a heart attack. Pretty neat to see on a video.

14. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Mouseketeer

Has this been fixed? I don't think I would be comfortable swimming in the area where this happening.

15. lorenni

lorenni DIS Veteran

Are you being funny? This is a natural phenomena - not even Disney can fix it.

16. TinkBell10

TinkBell10 DIS Veteran

How do you "fix" a waterspout??

17. DakotaDisneyLover

DakotaDisneyLover Mouseketeer

We were there also. A guy next to us was kinda freaking out, as he thought it was a tornado! I asked him if he was from "tornado country" and he said no. However, I am from tornado country and knew it wasn't one. I explained to him what one looked like, but I'm not sure he believe me. Anyway, it was neat to see!

18. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Waterspouts are still tornados so I'm confused by your post. :). Some come from the sky down and others go from the water up, the later of which generally disappears over land. Either way, I wouldn't wanna be swimming near one of those suckers, lol. They are so cool though. What awesome footage!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

19. gomagic

gomagic Go Bucks!

On our stop at Great Stirrup Cay during our first NCL cruise, we saw 2 waterspouts very close to Coco Cay(Royal Caribbean's island). We were still on the ship at the time and were amazed by them. I wonder what the passengers on their ship(Royal Caribbean)thought though.

20. calismic

calismic Mouseketeer

Ahhhh! I will forever have a mortal fear of Waterspouts. I was trapped on a roller coaster next to Lake Erie (Cedar Point) during a thunderstorm, and waterspouts started forming and the ride operators LEFT US! 45 minutes we sat there waiting for the storm to pass, I hate those things.

21. Silverfox97

Silverfox97 PLATINUM Castaway Club

Lol!!!

I was life guarding at Soak City one summer during college break. One day, there were THREE water spouts that formed. THREE. I was getting my meteorology degree at Ohio State so I was in heaven! It looked like a scene from a movie with people running and screaming for cover! I was trying to get a better view ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards