Waterproof housing for a Canon T5i?

Luigi Sansone

Earning My Ears
Hey all. I've just ordered my first DSLR (been shooting point and shoot all my life) and I'm trying to decide on some accessories to pick up. I figure I'm fine with the standard 18-55 lens the camera comes with for now, and I got a decent bundle with the camera off Amazon that included a case/strap/tripod/etc. My only concern is water. I'm not planning on pulling the camera out on Splash Mountain or anything, but more for a ride like Pirates of the Caribbean. You have the one drop where a bit of water gets in your boat. I'm not looking for underwater shooting or anything, but mainly just rain/sprinklers/the bit of splashback off small drops, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of something that works, but is not super expensive? I'd rather make my next really expensive purchase be a better lens, not a case.

For errant drops or sprinkles outside I use this.

For potentially drenching situations (like our river rafting last summer) I bought a waterproof point and shoot.

For errant drops or sprinkles outside I use this.

For potentially drenching situations (like our river rafting last summer) I bought a waterproof point and shoot.
Didn't even think about using a sleeve like that. I was googling before I posted this thread, and all I was finding were $500-1500 actual plastic waterproof housings. Like I said, it's mainly for small stuff. If I know it's going to get drenched, I was actually thinking about doing exactly that, getting a waterproof point and shoot. Won't use it often, but it'd be nice to have. I went on PotC for the first time this week when I went, and LOVED the way it was inside. Now that I'm getting an actual camera instead of just using my iPhone, I wanted to get some nice shots when I head back next month. Was just worried about that drop because I know my shirt got a little wet this past time.

I use my DSLR on POTC and Splash all the time. The sleeve seems adequate to me, but there are no guarantees.

I use my DSLR on POTC and Splash all the time. The sleeve seems adequate to me, but there are no guarantees.
Sounds good to me. For me, Splash isn't even about the water. I know you don't get TOO wet on that one either. I'm just afraid I might drop the camera/it'll bang around too much and break. I guess once I actually have it in my hands, get used to the weight and all that I'll start worrying about it less. I ordered it online and it should be here by Wednesday, I can't wait.

I have never used a sleeve on POTC or Splash Mountain. Heck, I didn't even use one on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal and that one has some serious water spray at the end. A sprinkle here and there isn't gonna harm the camera. I just pull it under my tee when the drop comes up and that's that.....

I think the sleeve would be good for rides like Kali River Rapids if you plan on having the camera out all the time because there will be unpredictable and constant spray during the ride. Or if you plan to have it out during a light drizzle or happen to want to sit in the splash zone of Fantasmic. If you simply want to get it for POTC and Splash, I'd say better invest the money in a Dole Whip ;)

I have never used a sleeve on POTC or Splash Mountain. Heck, I didn't even use one on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal and that one has some serious water spray at the end. A sprinkle here and there isn't gonna harm the camera. I just pull it under my tee when the drop comes up and that's that.....

I think the sleeve would be good for rides like Kali River Rapids if you plan on having the camera out all the time because there will be unpredictable and constant spray during the ride. Or if you plan to have it out during a light drizzle or happen to want to sit in the splash zone of Fantasmic. If you simply want to get it for POTC and Splash, I'd say better invest the money in a Dole Whip ;)
Interesting to know. This is my first DSLR like I said earlier. I don't really know what type of "abuse" they can take. I don't know how much water is too much water and all that. I'll probably get it just to keep in my bag either way, maybe not for the rides but just incase it starts drizzling or anything like that. I'll definitely go grab a Dole Whip too though :P Actually had my first one the other night when I went on a suggestion from a friend, and wow it didn't disappoint.

I don't know about the T5i specifically, but the Nikon D7100 and my lenses are water and dust sealed, so I just bring the bare camera on those rides. With a blackrapid with underarm strap, it's pretty well connected to me and doesn't go flying.

For actual rain or constant wetness, I have a few of the rain covers, and if it's really wet, I have a high end compact with a dive housing. I'd love an AW1, but my spending has other priorities at the moment. :)

I don't know about the T5i specifically, but the Nikon D7100 and my lenses are water and dust sealed, so I just bring the bare camera on those rides. With a blackrapid with underarm strap, it's pretty well connected to me and doesn't go flying.

For actual rain or constant wetness, I have a few of the rain covers, and if it's really wet, I have a high end compact with a dive housing. I'd love an AW1, but my spending has other priorities at the moment. :)

The OP's T5i is not water sealed.

The OP's T5i is not water sealed.
In which case, in addition to the rain jacket for the camera (which is always a good idea for any camera, it's $6 insurance!), I'd recommend an easyCover ECC650DB case (or similar) for it. It's what I use on my D5100 and similar plastic cameras, and gives it that bit of extra ruggedness when out and about so I don't worry so much about it.

That didnt work as planned..however, I finally got the nerve to keep my DSLR out on Splash Mtn after seeing your pics..I used the exact same sleeve and wow! Amazing photos! Anyway, I agree I would NEVER keep my good camera out on Kali River Rapids...we were drenched!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter