Waterproof, disposable, cameras

3dots

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know of a good waterproof disposable camera? I took a Fuji last year to Typhoon Lagoon, and was sorely disappointed. How does everyone get such great photos? I am worried about taking my digital to the beach, and on our dolphin excursion etc.......... (I am an avid scrapbooker!)Thanks!

I've used Kodak before and had good luck. I really liked their disposable panoramic, but it looks like they've stopped making them.

I love the panoramic as well, found several at the Dollar General just last week, you might check discount stores in your area.

we bought ours in the gift shop on the ship. I think they were Kodak and the pictures were really good.

We have used the Kodak underwater camera on each of our cruises. We get it at Walmart and it works great. We did forget one year...I pay about 8 bucks at walmart and I paid $27 for it on castaway cay..so make sure and take one or two with you..lol.

The only problem I have with waterproof cameras is getting my sunscreen coated hands and sand on them and then forgetting to wipe them off. I bought Fuji to Hawaii last year and got great pictures of my ds5 (then 4) snorkeling at Hanuma Bay. I would try Kodak if you weren't happy with Fuji. I've bought reusable water cameras (low end) and they only work once for me and then leak.

OH NO... is see a not so happy camper with fuji. i bought one at walmart...should i take it back and get a Kodak one? Anyone have a good experince with the underwater/waterproof fuji?

We have used Kodak disposable water proof cameras in the past and the pictures always come out great. This time I stocked up on a few when they were buy one get one free at CVS (and I had coupons for them also!) and I'm looking forward to the pictures we took on the recent cruise with these cameras!

I've used Fuji and have had no problems at all with them. I used them at the beach in NJ and snorkeling in Grand Cayman and the Dolphin Excursion in Cozumel. I got great pics of everything.

We always use the Kodak ones, I get great pics while parasailing every time..

We use Fuji as well and got great pics at Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon. I have 3 Fujis packed for our upcoming cruise. Maybe the op got a bad camera?

I also had better luck with the Fuji than the Kodak. I've used both and get better color from the Fuji. I used to get the Kodaks all the time but I read here on these boards that the Fuji give better color so I tried that and they were much better. I guess its all luck??? With the Kodak I got a lot of foggy looking pictures and I got crystal clear ones with the Fuji, I even had both at one time (they were on sale at different places so I bought one of each) and the Fuji ones came out better. Here's an example of a Fuji photo taken on my trip to Universal:

346%3C%3A95%3B2%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2323%3D689%3D68%3B%3D323268959%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

Here's one with the Kodak:

346%3C%3A95%3C9%7Ffp35%3Dot%3E2323%3D3%3B4%3D4%3B7%3D32323%3B43%3C6468nua593fj0mrj

Hope you can see these and notice what I mean. I'm sticking to Fuji. HTH :cool1:

I prefer Fuji to Kodak at least for their underwater cameras. A good underwater case for a digital runs about $300, and you get quite a few more throwaway cameras for that price.

Fuji just gives more brilliant colours, but really it all depends on the processing facility. I prefer taking my film to places like Ritz or Wolf Camera than to one hour places. I may pay more but I have never been disappointed in the processing just in the photographer. ;)

Just remember the same rules apply with a regular or digital camera. Frame your shot, sun at your back. Try to be upstream of particulate matter being disturbed in the water. And shoot shoot shoot. If I get two great shots on a 27 exposure roll of disposable film, I am extremely happy.

I am beginning to think that it is the processing...........Maybe I will have to take both a Fuji and a Kodak just to be on the safe side! Thanks for the comments! :goodvibes

I have had great luck with Fuji, and not-so-good luck with Kodak. When we went snorkeling in April, the guide told us that the photos come out much better if you are pointing up, or at least across when you are underwater. That way, the light is good. We definitely found this to be true. Also, the film is 800 speed, so have it hand checked at the airport just to be safe. Also, check the expiration date. I picked a few up at Wal-Mart, and noticed the date expires before I will need to use them.

We went the disposable, waterproof camera route for years...lugging the cameras in our carry on hither and yon. We used both Fuji and Kodak. We recently decided on getting a waterproof case for our digital camera. It cost $175. I figure that in less than 15 disposables it will pay for itself when you consider $8 for the camera and $4 for developing. Here are the advantages of the case:

:thumbsup2 1) the camera can store 100's of pictures without getting out of the water
:thumbsup2 2) you can delete the pictures that you don't like right away
:thumbsup2 3) you can use the same camera for all of your pictures
:thumbsup2 4) no film developing required unless you really need the picture
:thumbsup2 5) most digital cameras (ours is the Canon Powershot SD550) can take snippets of video
:thumbsup2 6) You can protect your regular digitial camera when on the beach or on a boat
:thumbsup2 7) the digitial camera is tiny and when you add the case it is about the same size as a disposable with a lot more features
:thumbsup2 8) you can use all the features of your digital camera....zoom, flash when needed, panoramic, etc.
:thumbsup2 9) When the memory card fills up (pretty hard to fill up our 2g SD card) you can download the pictures to your computer and start over

Here is a shot from CC of the submarine (water is a bit murky at CC):

47146Castaway_Sub_smaller.jpg

Here is a shot or two from Hawaii:

47146Picture_1.jpg

47146Picture_2-thumb.jpg

I am unfamilar with an underwater camera case. Please explain how it works. Your digital fits inside the case, but how do you run the camera? Can you view the screen? Use the zoom, etc.......Thanks!

The digital camera fits inside the case and the case has buttons/switches/levers to manipulate all the buttons/switches/levers on the camera itself. Here is a link to give you an idea of the camera case we have:

waterproof housing

Though this one says $239, we found it somewhere for $175. Case only. Camera is in the $300's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter