Water shoes for Castaway Cay - yay or nay?

Swimmergirl

DIS Veteran
We're doing a double dip to Castaway Cay next month, and I am wondering about bringing water shoes. My 8 year old has some sensory issues, and I'm a little nervous about his reaction to sand, rocks, etc. on the beach. What is everyone's opinion on water shoes?

We brought sand shoes. My husband and I used ours but my daughter did not. I would have them just in case you need them. The sand there is very nice, clean, and easy to walk on. However, you are still in the ocean and if your son has sensory issues you may be glad that you have them.

I'd bring them, if there's a possibility your son will need them. I believe, better safe, than sorry.

From what I have read, the ground is really hot on deck of the ship. I'll be brigning water shoes for the kids to use while standing in line and going on the aquaduck. I will bring them to CC too just in case!

We could have easily managed without all the fancy shoes we brought for dinner, but we were glad we had the water shoes! Sand was hot, places in the water were rocky and the road/walkways between beaches etc. was hot. Personally, we were glad we had them. :goodvibes

If you wear Crocs, be forewarned: wearing them on the wet pool deck is like stepping onto greased glass.

I have a pair of flip-flops that I love and I probably would've cracked my skull next to the bottom of the Mickey slide had it not been for my experience playing ice hockey. I'm surprised they didn't think of putting some kind of tactile/anti-slip surface on that decking material.

My daughter(9) hates them, but was glad she had them on the cruise. She complained about stepping on "things" in the water.

I completely spaced about taking them,, In the end it was OK, but not great, luckily my DD is ok in ocean water sandy stuff, but yes the sand was HOT and the walkways too

I read on another post that someone had not had them on when they went snorkeling there, and they accidentally stepped on coral...ouch! That person had not yet gotten all of the little tiny glass-like pieces of coral out of her foot and is still having problems. I'll be packing our water shoes!

We're doing a double dip to Castaway Cay next month, and I am wondering about bringing water shoes. My 8 year old has some sensory issues, and I'm a little nervous about his reaction to sand, rocks, etc. on the beach. What is everyone's opinion on water shoes?
A big yes to watershoes! And you will LOVE the double dip~I sailed on the Dream DD in June!

I vote for water shoes for the whole family. I wear teva's they stay on sand can be easily washed out. I had purchase the closed water shoe but the filled with sand and water . It was really annoying trying to keep them on my feet.
My feet are so sensitive to stones, rocks, heat, that I would look very foolish on the beach going ooh ouch, ouch ooh Lol

Hi there,

I my view people do benefit from the shoes, I bought a few pairs when I saw them in Rack Room Shoes recently. I live in a fairly cold climate and have lived in a desert also, however I cannot bear walking around CC or Blizzard Beach without them. Just remember you have to take them off to do the big slides at Pelican Plunge.

A couple weeks back, another poster here reported stepping on a sea urchin in the water at CC. So, water shoes are a definite "yes."

I somehow got a pretty big cut on my big left toe while at Castaway Cay. So yes, yes to shoes.

Another vote for yes here! We were there in June. I bought water shoes for all of us except DH insisted he didn't need them and wore flip-flops instead. But he took them off in the water and stepped on a sharp shell and got a cut & infection on the bottom of his foot. Next time, he promises he will get water shoes.

We were very glad that we packed our water shoes at the last minute. The section of beach we were on was very rocky (or maybe it was pieces or coral) and I would have had a hard time going in the water without the water shoes. I tred flip flops at first but the jagged pieces just ended up between my foot and the shoe. The water shoes were a lifesaver.

Definite yes to water shoes, especially for a child with sensory issues. There are a lot of small shells in the sand, so when I was in the water I was always worried about what I may be stepping on! I have a big fear of stepping on a crab and getting pinched. I had accidentally left my water shoes back in the room, but I wish I would have them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter