Water Parks in October?

mama2shi

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first vacation to Disney in October 2013. I know Florida has warmer temps in October than where I live, but is it warm enough to do the water parks? I am not sure whether I should purchase tickets to the water parks or just stick with the theme parks.

Thanks for any feedback!

Tracey :santa:

mama2shi said:
We are planning our first vacation to Disney in October 2013. I know Florida has warmer temps in October than where I live, but is it warm enough to do the water parks? I am not sure whether I should purchase tickets to the water parks or just stick with the theme parks.

Thanks for any feedback!

It often is. Wait and decide once you're there--you can upgrade to this option easily.

Upgrade when you can safely see the forecast. This past October was hotter than the weather we had on our June trip. Last October was rainy and cold - we had to wear long pants and purchase sweatshirts. Just depends on the weather systems that hit Orlando during your particular week.

When in October? My birthday is in early October, and it is *always* still hot. Like, as hot as August hot. And I live two hours north of Orlando. I would feel totally comfortable buying water park tickets for the first week or week and a half of October.

Late October can be cold. In all likelihood, probably still warm enough to swim (especially if you're from up north), but I wouldn't bet on it.

An old judge I used to work for swore that the weather down here always breaks on October 15th. It's not always that exact :-), but it's a good rule of thumb.

We are coming down October 19 - 26. I am from Maryland, so Florida weather will feel warm to us just being there. Getting in and out of the water can make a HUGE difference on the temp though.

We are coming down October 19 - 26. I am from Maryland, so Florida weather will feel warm to us just being there. Getting in and out of the water can make a HUGE difference on the temp though.

That's enough days that I'll bet at least one of them will be warm enough for a water park. Still, no need to buy your tickets until you get there and are sure.

Thanks for any feedback!

We went to Blizzard Beach last week and it was great. We did not go in 2010 to cold. We added the water park and more option to our tickets the day before.

We keep the water in all the slides and pools around 80F (27C) except for Shark Reef which does not have heaters. What you want is a day that will be bright and sunny and preferably not windy.

If you go on a day that is heavily overcast you will not be able to take advantage of any radiant heating (from the sun) or on a windy day (especially with a dry wind from the North) you will get hit by wind chill.

But a day with the highs in the mid-50s or above which is sunny and calm most people (at least from Northern climates) should be comfortable.

It often is. Wait and decide once you're there--you can upgrade to this option easily.

This is great advice. I've been in October several times, and ony once was it too cold for the water parks. But I had already bought my "water parks and more" upgrade before my trip, so that ended up being money wasted (and way back then, that upgrade was about $50!). Now I wait until after I arrive too add the upgrade.

We went to BB for the first time on our October trip (20-27). It was nice and warm as far as temps, but I found the water to be chilly and not comfortable to be in. I would wait until you are there and add this feature if you decide to go. I learned this lesson the hard way a few trips back. I had enough reward points to be able to put the hopper option on our tickets and did so at check in. We NEVER hopped:scared1::scared1: biggest waste of reward points EVER!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter