Water parks in December?

AimeeMichele

Mouseketeer
Have you been to Disney in December? If so, was it warm enough to go to a water park? I think I'm going to wait until we are there and then if there's a hot enough day, just buy the water park tickets then. I really want to go to Typhoon Lagoon and snorkel in Shark Reef.

1- Have you been to Disney in December? If so, was it warm enough to go to a water park? I think I'm going to wait until we are there and then if there's a hot enough day, just buy the water park tickets then.

2- I really want to go to Typhoon Lagoon and snorkel in Shark Reef.

1- Disney keeps at least one of the WP's and the resort pools open all year long.

If it is sunny with the temperatures near 60 degrees or above with no/low winds, guests
can be found swimming at the resorts and water parks.

The water is heated in most pools.

2- Only one Water Park at a time will be open in Dec. (and other winter months.)
We don't know which one will be open when you are there
until the next calendar update (which will be published within the next few days.)

They like to keep BB open during the Christmas holidays (if possible)
because it is, by default, already decorated for Christmas.

The water in the shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon is already pretty cold. I don't know that I would try doing that in December.

We keep the water in all the slides and pools around 80F (27C) except for Shark Reef which does not have heaters. What you want is a day that will be bright and sunny and preferably not windy.

If you go on a day that is heavily overcast you will not be able to take advantage of any radiant heating (from the sun) or on a windy day (especially with a dry wind from the North) you will get hit by wind chill.

But a day with the highs in the mid-50s or above which is sunny and calm most people (at least from Northern climates) should be comfortable.

Where are you from? We have been East Coast boaters for years and have found that 74 degrees and up is comfortable if you are wet and the wind is blowing.

The main issue is.....what is the temp/sun/wind forecast for the day you want to go? That will be the overriding factor. Take your swimsuits and keep your fingers crossed!

And it can change very radically as the week goes on, so you have to be flexible.

We went in December once and started the week in winter coats ,and we are from up north so it really was cold, severe damage to the oranges! But by the end of the week we spent the day at TL. Was it 90 no but definitely warm enough to be at a waterpark! and wear shorts to the other parks.

We have been to TL three times, and never to BB, due to the fact we've gone during November and February and BB has been closed for maintenance.

We are going again next February (2010) and wonder if any knows which one (if any) will be closed at that time.

Also, never having been to BB, can someone outline how if differs from TL?

We have been to TL three times, and never to BB, due to the fact we've gone during November and February and BB has been closed for maintenance.

We are going again next February (2010) and wonder if any knows which one (if any) will be closed at that time.

Also, never having been to BB, can someone outline how if differs from TL?

I had always wanted to go to TL. At the last minute for the June trip, we decided instead of going to only TL, we'd add on the WPM option.

We only went to TL once. We went to Blizzard Beach twice. IMO, BB has more for the kids to do. We loved it.

The slides at BB are more extreme than TL.

But TL has the best wave pool, it has Shark Reef, and it has a water roller coaster. Also the theming is, IMNSHO, much better at TL, especially since you don't see slide structure as you do at BB (and many other water parks)

Our family usually makes a December trip because of school. i can say that each year has been different. I have swam at TL on Xmas day before. Last year, we did BB on the 26th. It was warm enough for bikinis. The previous trip, on the same calendar day, we had on the largest coats we owned and drank hot chocolat in line trying to stay warm. Definitely be flexable with your plans. Hopefully it will be warm enought to get that swim in.

BB was open in Dec 07. We were lucky, we had low 80's our entire stay. The best part about it was BB wasn't crowded at all. No waiting / minimal waits ( 1 to 2 min ) for water slides. We stayed till close. The kids still talk about it!

I'm from Chicago, so when it's in the high 50s, low 60s people start pulling out the summer clothes after it starts warming up from the winter. :cool2: We are just going to pack swimsuits and hope for the best! If a nice, warm day happens to fall on our trip, then we will just make that day a water park day. :thumbsup2 Heck even if we're just there for a couple of hours, I think it would be fun. :dance3: Now I just need to try to figure out how to cram all our clothes (packing for warm and cold weather) into carry ons....ah the joys of traveling! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter