Water parks closed ????

DarPa

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know why Typhoon Lagoon is closed in May on Sun. Mon. and Tues. and Blizzard beach on Fri and Sat.??? I know they do their main rehabs during the winter months so I figured it wasn't that. We have gone in May before and this was not the case so I wasn't sure that low attendance was the reason. I am now trying to figure out how to rearrange our schedule to fit our water park days in without messing up our PS for the regular parks. I'll have to switch our typoon lagoon day of May 6 to maybe the 7th but there goes our Ps for that day at Magic Kingdom! Our family doesn't do well with half days of water parks and on to regular parks. They end up too tired and cranky.LOL We usually have our Water Park days like a rest day without any plans made in stone for the evenings. We also do water parks at least twice so rearranging one day will be easier than 2 days! Does anyone know the reason behind this? We already knew things would be harder to fit in with the park hours being cut back but wasn't expecting the water parks to be closed too! Thanks for any input!

It's most likely projected attendance. If it were rehab, they wouldn't keep opening and closing every few days.

I realize it may be due to attendance considering everything going on with the war etc. but having been to Disney in May before, regular attendance to me wasn't that slow. The weather during that time was quite hot and the need for the water parks to be open IMO is a must! We'll still be able to go somehow either on Wed. or Thurs. but I think with blizzard beach closed on Fri. and Sat. Tyhpoon Lagoon will be a madhouse and closed to capacity early! Hopefully they'll add more days when the time comes but we'll deal with it one way or another after all we'll be at WDW and there's certainly plenty to do!! Thank you for your reply.

WHAT!! WHAT!! WHAT!! The whole reason we're going down in May is because of the water parks, especially Typhoon Lagoon. Is this a definite?! Where do I read about this!

The hours are posted at Disney.com.

Clearly Disney is concerned about attendance, but I can't understand why one of the water parks would be closed on Saturday and Sunday. If seems that those should be the two days they are both open.

Its also important to note that up until a couple of years ago, there was a third, smaller water park, River Country, which is now closed.

Not to alarm anyone or start any UNPROVEN rumors but I have it from a very good source that has always been on his info 98% of the time that Disney may consider closing a different major park every day of the week. They are studying this now to measure the effects of the backlash against the huge savings they would generate. They are even saying that this would possibly make more money on the smaller crowds they have...more people crowded into fewer parks..waiting longer shopping and eating more than spending time in attractions & rides. Consider the savings fewer buses, employees etc... the beancounters at Disney love it but the PR people hate it.
Before you all freak out and start flaming put yourself in Disney's shoes and look at the bottom line.
Once again I have no written proof but I believe my friend and he is usually correct...however all that has been said is that they are studying this. Closing the waterparks might just be a small way to test their theorys, After all they closed River Country and the world didn't end for them?
FOR THE RECORD I DON'T SUPPORT THIS IDEA AND WOULD HATE BEING crammed into fewer parks with more people!
Just something to consider?

Dear Beancounters,

Every time Disney pulls something like this, and punishes its most devoted fans, it makes us like Disney A LOT less. At some point, all of the complexities of planning a WDW vacation will not be worth it and we will be motivated to find a vacation alternative. Then you will lose a die-hard, Disney-adoring family like us FOREVER.

As other families also vote with their feet, attendance will continue to dwindle. Then more parks will be closed, more people will get upset, and yet fewer will attend. At some point, no one will want to vacation at WDW and all of the parks can be closed all of the time. THINK OF HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WILL SAVE THEN!!!!!

I've seen at least two other regulars around here with inside connections say that this is being considered.

Note that does not mean they are saying it definitely will happen, but that it is definitely being considered.

Nope, don't like it... don't like it not one little bit.....

So, if we don't like it, we all have to call, write, email etc... if they are indeed trying to gage money against poor PR, then maybe if everyone lets them know their feelings, like the lack of EE mornings, this too shall pass!

When they cancelled EE, I cancelled my CR ressies and told CRO the reason I was cancelling them. Only if Disney feels it on their bottom line will they change. All the blustering and complaining in the world will not change a thing, UNLESS you are willing to walk! Call Disney and telll them that insted of going to BB while TL is closed, you will go to Wet & Wild; insted of going to a Disney park, you will go to Universal. That will work (if enough ppeople do it)

If they are going to close any of the major parks in rotation, it is not worth going to WDW plain and simple. We will see what happens as we head into May - I have room only for 3 of my 6 nights and can easily cancel and I would explain why as well. As for where I would spend those 3 nights, there are lots of fun spots in Orlando

My $0.02 (Canadian cents...)
:p

Thanks
Jason

Great there are alternatives... we were always such LOYAL Disney people we never even looked outside of WDW. But now that we can't go to Typhoon Lagoon IN MAY, I'm wondering, has anyone been to Wet-n-Wild or Discovery Cove (I've heard that is nice)? How do they compare to Typhoon Lagoon? We have a 3 1/2 yo dd, is there anything for her to do @ Universal?

Have sent the following message via Guest Services to WDW resort at http://www.disneyworld.com

"Please advise why you still have days of closure for Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon in May, 2003. That is prime water park season and I do not understand why the parks are alternating closure during this time.

This is definitely lowering the value of a Walt Disney World vacation.

Also, whilst on the subject if you are considering closing one of the major parks in some similar rotation scheme, you can count at least some of my vacation time and $$$ in Orlando to be spent elsewhere.

Regards,
Jason Koulouras"

Sending stuff like this probably guarantees I will never see a post card or discount e-mail
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :tongue: :earseek: :crazy: :wave:

I too am planning to send an email. I can't cancel this vacation (prepaid hotel thru priceline) but I'm tempted. I will, however, tell them that I will be going to Wet and Wild on the Tuesday of my trip because I wanted TL not BB, so tthey will loose my money!

I wouldn't cancel, but they don't know that! We have stayed offsite, and were miserable, so I will continue to stay onsite, as there is nothing else like it.

With the end of the war imminent, I think that attendence will rise and we won't have to worry about the rotating theme park closures, and both water parks will be open. Park hours have been extended due to increased attendence over what they projected, so sit tight, write your letters and emails, make your calls, but don't cancel until you have the hard fast facts.

On April 5th,we got a late start for the TL bus and arrived at the stop at 1005. One bus stopped to cram a few more sardines into an almost full bus. We waited and waited (with many others) and after inquiring of a CM,were told the park was full as of about 1050. As this was our last day,we were very disappointed. Can you imagine what it's going to be like this summer? Add decreased services,shorter park hours to rotating closings of parks and water parks and of course it's going to affect attendance. I understand the financial reasons for this,but I don't have to like it. I know there are many other interesting places to visit, and I guess I'll have to investigate them.

I know it's a disappointment to find a park closed or hours shortened. We wondered off to Universal Studios on a Saturday in Feb during our trip to WDW. Major disappointment, half park didn't open until 10:30, Kongfrontation was gone ( my favorite ride) and we left by 11:45, having done all that we wanted to. It was a like a ghost town compared to past visits. Too much money for too little to do. I'm hoping that attendance goes up and that these inconveniences will end soon.

Remember that Cypress Gardens has gone out of business completely, effective today. Their monthly guest count had dropped 42K over the same month last year, which the small park could not survive. If tourism is indeed that low(folks are now cancelling not only because of the Iraq situation, but because of SARS) Disney will do what it must to survive and try to make a profit. IF, and it is a big IF, they close one park per day, will it really have a big impact on visitors? Probably not, especially if tourism is already so low, and when compared to potential savings for the company. I remember growing up that DisneyLAND was closed Mondays and Tuesdays all winter long.

What major impact will it have on your vacation if you've planned MK on Thursday and AK on Friday, but then have to swap the days due to a rotating closure? The biggest inconvenience (for me) might be PSs.

We were at TL for the first time on 4/7---LOVED it! We arrived at approximately 9:30, had no wait to borrow life vests, and got great umbrella seating overlooking the wave pool on the kid's area side.

We felt the park was crowded---watching the line for the Family Raft Ride extend way past the stairs around lunch. However, when I went to buy lunch at 11:30, there was NO line, and when asked, the cashier told me it was an incredibly slow day for them.

Our only other experience was RC in 2001---which we loved, also---so I felt this park was crowded during the "peak" hours. In retrospect, however, I definitely feel if that crowd had been split between TL and BB, both parks would have seemed deserted. It is completely understandable from a business perspective, IMO.

Patti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter