Water Frigid at Cast-A-Way

hookedonears

Louisianan
Just got back from a 3 night in the Wonder 4/16 - 4/19 and the water at Cast-A-Way Cay was absolutely frigid. We'd planned to snorkle and that ended pretty quickly after we went about ancle deep and quickly returned back to the shore. We did stand about knee deep and did the sting ray thing, and you do get use to the cold after a while, but with every splash of deeper water was extremely painful. My advice is wait and book snorkeling equipment until you get to the beach and make the decision for yourself. We booked 3 sets before we left, though only our daughter snorkeled. She thought it was great but it was a little waste of money. When we looked down the beach, we saw a large number of people, though only a relatively small number of people that were actually in the water.

That is too bad! We were on the 3 day the wk before on Apr 9 and the water was 78 degrees. It was a bit cool, but really nice. Most people were in the water and a large # were snorkeling. We enjoyed the water for several hours. Sorry it was cold for you

We were on the 7-day Eastern, and at Castaway Cay on April 17th. I agree that the water was chilly when you first get in, but very comfortable after the first splash. We snorkled for a good long while and I never felt cold. Maybe the air temperature was cooler when you were there, making the water seem colder.
I think it's also relative - those that are used to warmer climates and warmer water will find it colder than those who are coming from wintry weather and just happy to have tropical temperatures!

We just got back as well and I agree, the water was cold. I think the kids may have gotten a little too use to the heated pool at the resort we stayed at before we left for the trip. Needless to say my plans to lay out on the beach while the kids played in the water lasted about 15 minutes and then it was I'm booored. So we played and rode bikes for the rest of the day. Still had a blast but I was really looking forward to some down time.

We just got back as well and I agree, the water was cold. I think the kids may have gotten a little too use to the heated pool at the resort we stayed at before we left for the trip. Needless to say my plans to lay out on the beach while the kids played in the water lasted about 15 minutes. They came running out saying the water was too cold and then it was I'm booored. So we played and rode bikes for the rest of the day. Still had a blast but I was really looking forward to some down time.

I was on a 7 night in early March and the water was fine for me. And I'm a wimpy Floridian who hates cold water. Maybe the currents affect the temperatures and you were just there at a bad time, but it was very pleasant for us. Sorry you had a bad experience!

We were at Castaway Cay on April 10th (7 day Western). The water was much too cool for our group, but we live in South Florida and we have our own specific idea of what a perfect beach day is supposed to be. :lmao:

My son was never able to make it over to the water play area because he couldn't seem to make it past his knees without complaining, but it didn't stop him from spending hours building sand castles. It was still a great day for us. I wish it had been a lot warmer, but then I would have probably complained about the heat at some point. As my husband likes to joke, pleasing me can be very confusing... :rotfl2:

Was at Castaway Cay first week in April the water was about 78 degrees and was chilly at first but everyone went in the water and it wasn't bad once you got in

Was at Castaway Cay first week in April the water was about 78 degrees and was chilly at first but everyone went in the water and it wasn't bad once you got in

78 is pretty darn warm. My neighbors let their kids in the pool yesterday, and the water was 64 degrees....THAT is cool.

We were at Castaway Cay on April 10th (7 day Western). The water was much too cool for our group, but we live in South Florida and we have our own specific idea of what a perfect beach day is supposed to be. :lmao:

We were there the same day and it was wonderful - a little cool at first, but then delightful - my kids had a blast! Then again, we are from Michigan, it was snowing at home, and my kids are used to swimming in Lake Michigan. We also have a short summer, so I don't even want to admit at what air temperature we'll let our kids swim. Let's just say, I have had to leave the heat on in the car during swim lessons and have the sweats ready!!!

I will admit it was not as warm as I remember on our last two cruises - one also in April and the other in February

I guess acceptable water temperatures are what ever your use to. I assume that people from more northern climates are use to colder water temperatures. For me, I like cooler water temperatures in late June, July and August when air temperatures are 90+. But when air temperatures in the 70's and 80's, I want water temperatures in the mid to hi 80's. Especially when the winds are blowing like they were last week.

Water temps are one thing that Disney has no control over. I'm sure if there was a way to heat the ocean at CC, they would! :)

How many Californians are reading this thread?

I grew up heading to the beach as often as I could, enjoying water temperatures in the 60s until my skin was literally blue.

When I saw the post claiming the water was 78 earlier in the month I had to laugh out loud.

I grew up heading to the beach as often as I could, enjoying water temperatures in the 60s until my skin was literally blue.

When I saw the post claiming the water was 78 earlier in the month I had to laugh out loud.

:thumbsup2

On the otherhand, every time we've been to Castaway Cay it's been HOT, warm, where you drag your chair to sit in the water hot. :cloud9: I love carribean tans! :lovestruc

California Native here, where it was a toasty 94 degrees Monday.
I laughed at the news last night going to the mall to see how they keep it cooled down to 78 degrees. This is the same mall when I was a kid (40 years ago ) whose slogan in the summer was, "We keep it great at 68". Oh how times change.

We also just got off that cruise and the water was rather cold. I did the stingray excusion as well and didnt even stay to snorkel. Too cold! Part of it I do believe is that it was a VERY windy day.

I was on Castaway Cay on April 19th, and didn't find the water temp unbearable at all (it was 78 degrees). If felt a little chilly when first walking in, but after a few seconds, felt completely comfortable. My 19 month old and three year old played in the water at the family beach for almost five hours without a complaint or shiver (and I am very careful about my 19 month old getting too cold in water). The family beach was packed with 100's of peope in the water, so I clearly wasn't alone in my opinion. The water became noticeably warmer around 11:00 a.m. as well.

78 is pretty darn warm. My neighbors let their kids in the pool yesterday, and the water was 64 degrees....THAT is cool.

wimps(j/k)
here on the west coast 70 is warm i live in santa barbara and am very happy when its 68..so i guess its what you consider normal.

just my $.02

karl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter