Watching movies onboard

Dawg91

Mouseketeer
Since I've been here I've seen several threads where people want to know what movies will be playing on their cruise. I've always thought "who cares? Why not do something you can't do at home?"

Then I ask my husband what he enjoyed most about our last cruise. What does he say?

Watching movies.

As a husband , I agree. Great theater, 3d with fantastic sound. The thrill of seeing brand new movies with next to no crowd and bringing your own snacks. Love movies

We never go to movies at home so the kids think this is super special. I think the boys must have watched 4 movies on our last 7 night cruise. (Lots of spa time for me!) :)

Considering the cost of a trip to the movie theater today, it is a treat! Now, if they would have fresh, hot, buttered popcorn, I might agree with him!

Considering the cost of a trip to the movie theater today, it is a treat! Now, if they would have fresh, hot, buttered popcorn, I might agree with him!

On HAL, they give you fresh popcorn at the movies. Just a little bag, but you can take as many as you want.

I have to admit that I originally had no desire to use my cruise time watching a movie. On our January Fantasy cruise we went to a showing of Lincoln and I loved the experience. As someone on another thread said a Disney movie with their high quality sound and projection is much better than going to a typical local movie theater.

Since I've been here I've seen several threads where people want to know what movies will be playing on their cruise. I've always thought "who cares? Why not do something you can't do at home?" Then I ask my husband what he enjoyed most about our last cruise. What does he say? Watching movies. dde00

As someone who has two small children (to whom I will NOT subject a theatre audience unless it's designated for them) and lives on a grad student stipend, movies are not something we really get to do at home. So when we get to cruise we are in the theatre a fair amount. ;)

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

We got to see Frozen in an almost full 1000 person Walt Disney theater.

The experience was amazing.

The sound in their theaters is as good as our local IMAX.

And of course it is free.

My only complaint is the popcorn they sell comes in very loud plastic wrappers.

Our first cruise (adult only), we barely made it to one movie (that I fell asleep during). For our upcoming cruise (with a 9 month old) I'm looking forward to attempting a few movies without fear of losing money if we decide it's not working out, and seeing new movies now rather than when they come out on Redbox.

We had been hoping to check out a movie or two during our October cruise and it just didn't happen. We were so busy doing other things, we never had the chance. Maybe next cruise

I wound up not getting to watch a movie on our cruise because we were so busy the entire time. DS and DH did because they watched it after dinner (we had late seating) our last night onboard. Anyway, I was one who was really looking forward to it. There were 2 movies at the time that I was excited about trying to watch. The reason I wanted to watch a movie or 2 onboard is that it is something we usually don't spend the money on at home. When we went on our cruise, we spent 6 nights at WDW and went on a 4-night cruise. We were able to save for that by cutting out additional spending like going to the movies, so the thought of being able to do it "for free" was pretty appealing.

We actually both saw Lincoln on our last cruise too although we didn't go together. I kind of ran in at the last minute by myself and sat between strangers since it was full.

I agree about the noisy popcorn bags! That was crazy. That problem would be solved with that fresh, hot popcorn!

On my family's last cruise, we went and saw Rapunzel on a sea day, simply because the weather outside was not great, and we wanted to do something together.

For me, the movies are a saving grace, as I'm an insomniac and my wife and daughter are early sleepers. They went to bed every night by about 10, and I went to the late show every night, just for something to do (not really a "hang out in a bar by myself" kind of guy). Kinda fun walking around a deserted ship in the middle of the night after the movie lets out...

We will see Frozen on our cruise this coming Friday... whether my DH attends is up to him. He's not a movie out person but more of a pay per view or HBO person.

The only time I get to go to the movies with DH is when its absolutely what he wants to see. Think the last time was the latest Batman movie which I thought was horrible. The time before that was a Peter Pan 2nd movie which was around 10 years ago.

I take the kids but the fact the Thor and Frozen are going to be planing durring out next cruise is exciting b/c its not something I get to do often unless its when the kids are off from school and DH isnt usually interested.

My consolation is she wants him to go with her on the Royal Tea thing and Im more than fine with it, as much as I wanted to attend. I'll book myself something at the spa instead on that day.

I see your point, but it's so much different watching a movie on the cruise vs home. More relaxed and enjoyable I think. We seen our first ever 3d movie on the ship (avengers), loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter